Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
The Day Hiker #1002634 05/25/14 09:30 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
OK, for a day (or just a few hours) hike, whatcha gonna use?

I am going to get a Drago Tracker pack (just a tad larger than the maxped falcon II), and I have some questions for when Patty and I can do some hiking, hopefully again in the Smokey's. I wanted something larger than my 511 push pack. It's nice, but in all honesty I just want to be able to carry a bit more stuff. IF I have it figured out right the Tracker should be just about perfect for what I want. Guess I'll find out when it gets here and I load it up.

I told a fellow dog this

I have two 1 lit. ss water bottles with ss cups. Would this be enough for the two of us (along with my Mini Sawyer) for a 5 mile round trip hike, or should I get another 40oz bottle and pouch?

IF I use the 2 1 lit bottles I have I am thinking about the condor H2O pouches. If I buy another 40oz bottle I would get another maxped 10x4 water bottle carrier (needed for height).

For JUST IN CASE would a couple ponchos work (what kind)?

I of course would be carrying my FAK pouch and a small hi output AA flashlight.

I would also like a tarp of some kind, what would you recommend for two people for TEMPORARY cover? Oh and we would both have a wood hiking staff, about 4 1/2-5 ft tall each.

Guns are a no go, but I would have a couple knives of course along with a couple sources of fire making and probably a couple pouches of ramen soup or at least a couple "Protein bars".

You think that would cover MOST of the what if's for a hike (about anywhere actually) of the 5 mile or less variety?

Thank you and I am asking you this because I know you can advise me from real world experience, not just "reading up".

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 05/25/14 09:56 PM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The Day Hiker [Re: SkunkHunter] #1002636 05/25/14 09:37 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
My Sage said:

Randy,
Two liters of water is half of what I would consider a minimum for two people. Extra water might be needed to irrigate a wound, flush out an eye that gets something in it, cool down a person that goes into heat exhaustion, etc. My rule for water is the same for firewood : get what you think you need and then multiply by 4. This is only if you can carry the weight. Maybe Patty could wear a camelbak? The filter and ability to purify water thru boiling is great but it isn't fast and isn't guaranteed (you have to find water first - I've spent time in the Smokey wilderness - water isn't omnipresent there).

Ponchos are wonderful because a quality product double as a litter to pull an injured person to safety and also as emergency lean to or "tube tunnel" shelter. The only cost effect poncho is a USGI Ripstop. Check eBay.

I'd add a SOL brand two person emergency space blanket or two. One below is worth three above. Between a couple of lightweight SB and the two USGI ponchos you'll be set for a BASIC shelter as long as you remember 550 cord. Take a 50 foot hank. It doubles well for an emergency splint with a few pieces of wood bound in (trust me).

Don't forget a compass (even if you have an iPhone and GPS). Check your bearing before and during you hike. Familiarize yourself with a topo map of the area so you can better "direct bearing" navigate if needed.

Get a Fox 40Micro whistle and put it along with a Light My Scout, Streamlight Nano, and small SAK on key chain. Both of you keep this in your pocket. That whistle will get attention for help. Remember ... --- ... HOLD ... --- ... HOLD ... ---... WAIT 1 minute REPEAT. This will be universally recognized as a distress message.

Consider adding a LED headlamp. Two light sources for two people. Don't forget a change of batteries. It's best if the HL and FL share a battery type. If you want The best EDC AA light ever made go to County Comm and order their aluminum AA model. It is REMARKABLE. Best $35 I've spent on a hand torch.

A lot of the "Extra" Items I already have but didn't think of. I would have found them though as I rebuild my "Day Hiker".

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 05/25/14 09:57 PM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The Day Hiker [Re: SkunkHunter] #1002643 05/25/14 10:49 PM
coyotebc Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Randy
I recently purchased a surplus ILBE assault pack off of Amazon for my day hikes
I paid like $35 for it and it is a quality product

When I know that I am hiking by the river i only take a liter of water, otherwise I take my 2L water bladder and my 1 liter bottle

On my pack I added a drop pouch, just in case I find something that I want to take out
I also added a small pouch for my camera, phone and keys

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102
Re: The Day Hiker [Re: SkunkHunter] #1002645 05/25/14 11:04 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I've got a putt pack I got from architect that I could add to the bottom of the tracker if I needed/wanted to and it would add quite a bit of space.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 05/26/14 07:42 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The Day Hiker [Re: SkunkHunter] #1002777 05/27/14 11:19 AM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Great post Skunk
Make sure you get at least mil-spec 550 cord they are not all constructed the same some of what is called 550 is far from it.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: The Day Hiker [Re: SkunkHunter] #1003437 05/31/14 10:18 PM
coyotebc Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Bank line is another good source of cordage
In my daypack I keep
Fire - strike anywhere matches, butane lighter, fire steel, waxed cotton, hexamine, small fixed blade

Fox 40 whistle, compass, signaling mirror

Space blanket, gloves, rain poncho

Multitool, lifestraw, paracord, bank line
FA kit, and meds, notepad, pencil, cup
2 x contractor garbage bags
Snacks
Boonie hat, handkerchief

Re: The Day Hiker [Re: SkunkHunter] #1003456 06/01/14 12:19 AM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Nice set up looks like you have most of the bases covered, and yes bank line is a great thing as well. You may want to look into getting some 10lbs at least fishing line and some hooks also piano wire works great for snares.

JYD#176
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: The Day Hiker [Re: SkunkHunter] #1003474 06/01/14 01:31 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I figure "Bank line" is what I am calling "Trotline" Usually somewhere around 100 pound test or so, maybe 120 on some. I also plan on having all or most of the stuff Yote posted. HOPEFULLY I've got it covered good enough.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The Day Hiker [Re: SkunkHunter] #1003475 06/01/14 01:57 AM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Yep usually coated/impregnated with a preservative.

JYD#176
Re: The Day Hiker [Re: greaser] #1003568 06/02/14 01:38 AM
coyotebc Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by greaser
Nice set up looks like you have most of the bases covered, and yes bank line is a great thing as well. You may want to look into getting some 10lbs at least fishing line and some hooks also piano wire works great for snares.

I have some ss wire for snares
I also have other kit depending on the time of year and where I am going.

I do a "layer" system
On my person, I will have a knife and/or Multitool, lighter, and a few other items
Then I will have my day pack
Then in my camp and/or vehicle I will have more items

Like where I have been going lately there are numerous streams and water is never further than 300 or 400 yards, so I only pack 1 liter of water, other places I go I may carry four times that amount

It might sound funny but there is a couple of places that I go to, that I would not go to without my mosquito jacket and hood

Re: The Day Hiker [Re: greaser] #1003571 06/02/14 08:25 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by greaser
Yep usually coated/impregnated with a preservative.

Oh OK, got a spool of that too.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The Day Hiker [Re: SkunkHunter] #1003676 06/02/14 03:52 PM
t1m0 Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Randy, I just ordered a Source Assault ackpack. It was on sale on sourcetactical site: 61$ with free shipping. I think you should consider that back pack. You have a 3liter water bladder in the pack so you don´t even notice it. AND in addition you have room for your gear. If you need more space you can get the Patrol model.

For Patty I recommend a source 3 or 2 liter hydration carrier. I´d prefer the 3 liter model (you don´t have to use the whole capasity every time). I have the 3 liter Tactical hydration carrier and I like it a lot. 3 liters of water and you don´t even notice it. There is also a small pocet for compass and fire steel.

JYD #134 "Well opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one." - Clint Eastwood
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9