header

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1007095 - 07/15/14 06:44 AM Re: Bushcraft Evaluation - 17 Knives Put To The Test! [Re: Architect]
RN Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: CT
A couple that surprised me were the Sar and Vex...had figured on them doing well.
JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."

#1007129 - 07/15/14 11:46 AM Re: Bushcraft Evaluation - 17 Knives Put To The Test! [Re: Architect]
Rasmus Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Great review there!

I too am surprised by the Vex being discarded confused

To me, that one really excells at BC, and fells great.
But of course, each has his own criterias to go by...

And then the slaughering of the GSO also surprised me.
I don't own one, but have handled one, and I really liked it.

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"

#1007130 - 07/15/14 11:57 AM Re: Bushcraft Evaluation - 17 Knives Put To The Test! [Re: Architect]
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Republic of Texas
I also love the Vex, one of my absolute favorites. I think Gary was using one of his and it bit him in a way that he felt he couldn't trust it anymore. I can't argue with not wanting to use it hard again.

I've owned a couple of SAR 5's and I WANTED to love them. I love the IDEA of the SAR 5. Perfect blade for my needs, and the whole design is just my style. But the thing just feels odd. The handle almost feels like it WANTS your fingers to run up onto the blade. I sent one of my old ones to have the handle scales thinned down some, and it was an improvement. I might one day, when I'm feeling wealthy, commission the custom shop to build me a knife with a SAR 5 blade and a thicker Muk handle.

"Be still, Taggart!"

#1007233 - 07/17/14 11:17 AM Re: Bushcraft Evaluation - 17 Knives Put To The Test! [Re: Architect]
Feldgrun Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Mojave Desert
Great posts, like others posting here I really appreciate the time, effort & honesty you put into this. I did a test/evaluation of 14 bushcraft knives last year and also found that my Fallkniven was one of the best performers. I'd love to see Dan introduce a 4" convex ground knife - a variation on the 511 would be great.
JYD #183

#1007235 - 07/17/14 11:34 AM Re: Bushcraft Evaluation - 17 Knives Put To The Test! [Re: Architect]
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Nice review, Feldgrun!

The F1 is my favorite Fallkniven design, but I still don't own one. I just wish they would make a larger version of the same knife. Same overall design, grind, everything, just a bit bigger.

"Be still, Taggart!"

#1007243 - 07/17/14 03:44 PM Re: Bushcraft Evaluation - 17 Knives Put To The Test! [Re: Architect]
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog

For those folks that are interested, the 511MO isn't the only FFG 511 out there. I have seen some other FFG 511's, but they have the standard-style choil. The ones I have seen were muddy blade/tan handle combo, but there may be others. Just thought I should post this for those who might be searching.

"Be still, Taggart!"

#1007290 - 07/18/14 05:19 PM Re: Bushcraft Evaluation - 17 Knives Put To The Test! [Re: Feldgrun]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Earth
Originally Posted By: Feldgrun
Great posts, like others posting here I really appreciate the time, effort & honesty you put into this. I did a test/evaluation of 14 bushcraft knives last year and also found that my Fallkniven was one of the best performers. I'd love to see Dan introduce a 4" convex ground knife - a variation on the 511 would be great.

AWESOME Evaluation post (just read it). I could have saved a lot of time by just linking to yours! We clearly had the same concept of "bushcraft" in mind. I'm actually surprised how similar our tests were.

Thanks - the only meaningful contribution I can make to my hobby communities is honest evaluations and shared experience. Hopefully someone will benefit and not have to spend $$$ to find out what I've already learned.

Ole Jack says to downshift to simple livin'.

#1007291 - 07/18/14 05:22 PM Re: Bushcraft Evaluation - 17 Knives Put To The Test! [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I've been thinking about the F1 lately. I've read, on Fallkniven's site, to be careful when purchasing one. The Chinese are making counterfeits. I was really surprised by the S1's performance. The reason I bought the S1 over the F1 was blade length. I prefer the profile of the F, but the length of the S. If they'd combine these attributes I think they'd have a remarkable knife.

#1007594 - 07/23/14 07:19 AM Re: Bushcraft Evaluation - 17 Knives Put To The Test! [Re: Architect]
RN Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: CT
I was rereading the eval and thought you might like checking out Blind Horse Knives or the 2 companies that sprang from them.

I had a Brumby and it was a nice knife, good cutter.
JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."

#1007835 - 07/24/14 09:14 PM Re: Bushcraft Evaluation - 17 Knives Put To The Test! [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I first heard about BHK when Dave Canterbury started promoting them. I've always been interested, and ALWAYS look at a sale thread that mentions them. They're on my short list of "must try" knives. Winkler is on the list too, but he's really spendy.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >