header

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#1052057 - 11/29/17 02:58 AM Re: Ammo selection [Re: SkunkHunter]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
Oh boy, this just gets more confusing and perhaps more interesting the more I research it. It appears as if "The Box-O-Truth says that the federal #1B (number 1 buckshot) load is better than 00 or even 000! It lists some testing here

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-56-federal-flight-control-1-buckshot/

AND it references an article on ar15.com
SHOTGUN AMMUNITION
The single biggest mistake people make is to assume that the power of the shotgun is such that it negates having to select proper ammo. Through no experience or research they might come to the conclusion that birdshot is a perfectly acceptable choice for self defense? Why? Because the "feel" it's adequate for the most part.

Nothing is further from the truth. Once again, the shotgun ammunition needs to perform the same function as rifle and pistol ammo, which is to penetrate about 12" into ballistic gelatin. Fragmentation/expansion are usually not an issue in shotgun ammo, so that factor can be ignored for the most part.

For an excellent article which explains it better than I could, please read "Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition on firearmstactical.com.

The summary from that article states:

Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 -inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.

For home defense applications a standard velocity 2 -inch #1 buck shotshell (16 pellet payload) from Federal, Remington or Winchester is your best choice. We feel the Federal Classic 2 -inch #1 buck load (F127) is slightly better than the same loads offered by Remington and Winchester. The Federal shotshell uses both a plastic shot cup and granulated plastic shot buffer to minimize post-ignition pellet deformation, whereas the Remington and Winchester loads do not.

Second best choice is Winchester's 2 -inch Magnum #1 buck shotshell, which is loaded with 20 pieces of copper-plated, buffered, hardened lead #1 buckshot. For those of you who are concerned about a tight shot pattern, this shotshell will probably give you the best patterning results in number 1 buck. This load may not be a good choice for those who are recoil sensitive.

While #1 buck might be ideal IF the the shot is hardened, the reality is that these loads might be hard to find. If finding hardened #1 proves elusive, 00 buck is a great choice instead.

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

All content is copyrighted by AR15.com. A lot of the data (pictures, charts) come from Dr. Gary Roberts, and I have obtained his permission in posting it. I have also re-hosted some of the PDFs from various manufacturers so I don't have to re-adjust links as the source documents are moved around or deleted; I always give credit where credit is due and have not attempted to hide where it came from. If you are the owner of any of the information and believe a copyright has been violated, let me know right away so I can fix the problem.

Edited by SkunkHunter (11/29/17 03:01 AM)
JYD#105

#1052058 - 11/29/17 03:03 AM Re: Ammo selection [Re: SkunkHunter]
Junk Yard Dog

OK, after reading that and going to the links indicated, what say you dogs? Federal LE13200 low recoil 00 buckshot at 1145 fps or LE132-1B (#1buckshot low recoil at 1100fps)?

Now mind you BOTH loads use the Flight Control Wad to help the shot stay together for a longer distance.

Edited by SkunkHunter (11/29/17 03:29 AM)
JYD#105

#1052060 - 11/29/17 03:01 PM Re: Ammo selection [Re: SkunkHunter]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
I've always found Federal ammunition to outperform all other comers. Today at lunch I shot ten mags through my Colt Government Model. I used:

Winchester
Federal
Sellier & Bellot
Blazer Brass

The Federal was hotter, more accurate, and ejected cleaner.

I use Federal Hydra Shok and HST for all of my defensive needs (I do have some Remington Golden Sabers for guns that have a hard time feeding hollowpoints, but they're for special use only).

This doesn't directly apply to your question. However, Federal is the gold standard.
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1052065 - 11/30/17 01:56 AM Re: Ammo selection [Re: SkunkHunter]
Junk Yard Dog

No worries Gary. I am a Federal Fan Boy. ALL my handgun ammo, cept for some practice stuff, is Federal HST in 9mm 40S&W and 45ACP. The calibers smaller than 9mm are still "Primary" ammo manufacture, just not all Federal.

I am gonna TRY and not "Cheap Out" on my ammo choices in the major calibers from now on when it comes to "Southbound Scenarios". I reckon a life is worth more than 10 cents. Now when it comes to practice stuff...

Edited by SkunkHunter (11/30/17 02:03 AM)
JYD#105

#1052068 - 11/30/17 02:53 AM Re: Ammo selection [Re: SkunkHunter]
Junk Yard Dog

30 caliber Vs 33 caliber. 9 pellets Vs 15 pellets. 1145 Vs 1100 (Published average) fps.
JYD#105

#1052069 - 11/30/17 03:21 AM Re: Ammo selection [Re: SkunkHunter]
Junk Yard Dog

OK, I have made my decision, kinda, well sorta, almost, maybe. Seriously, it is gonna be either the Federal LE13200 low recoil FCW load at 1145 fps for $149.50 @250 rounds.

OR the Federal LE132-1B low recoil FCW load at 1100 fps for $179.50 @250 rounds.
JYD#105

#1052074 - 11/30/17 05:01 PM Re: Ammo selection [Re: SkunkHunter]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia
I have shot lots of hogs with both 00 and 000 Buck...enough to know that for social purposes either will work for me. Issue is 00.

#1052075 - 11/30/17 05:15 PM Re: Ammo selection [Re: SkunkHunter]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
I looked at my shotgun ammo, and I have a mixture of Remington, Federal, Breneke, S&B, and Winchester.

Most of my OO Buck is Remington.

I almost never shoot shotguns. Not a fan ... at all.
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1052086 - 12/01/17 01:46 AM Re: Ammo selection [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: Lord Mortdecai

I almost never shoot shotguns. Not a fan ... at all.

BLASPHEMER! wink Yeah they don't make neat little close together holes at several hundred yards, but boy will they tear something up! Nothing like watching your target (inanimate of course) turn into a fine mist. grin
JYD#105

#1052093 - 12/01/17 09:24 AM Re: Ammo selection [Re: SkunkHunter]
Ray Settanta Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: New England, USA
For home defense, I like Federal premium #4 buckshot because of lower risk of over penetration.
JYD #182

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >