Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: SkunkHunter] #1035007 11/18/15 03:47 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
I've got similar items in my "Kit", but I need to remove/replace and add some items.

Randy,
I don't openly recommend copying my kit contents because your situational needs might differ. However, we share a similar climate and lifestyle so I feel comfortable recommending my kit as a solid GHB.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: SkunkHunter] #1035008 11/18/15 03:47 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Oh and thanks Gary.

Shameless attempt to raise my post count.

ETA: You're welcome.

Last edited by Architect; 11/18/15 03:48 PM.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035009 11/18/15 04:06 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Many will notice my GHB is as comprehensive as a lightweight BOB. This isn't a coincidence. I always advocate STAYING HOME in an emergency until doing so is a completely untenable option. You have to get home to stay there. However, once you arrive at your home you may find it has been destroyed. I've been involved in natural disaster recovery efforts wherein homes were completely and utterly...gone. The only sign there WAS a house would be the foundation block.

These experiences imprinted upon my survival mindset an opinion that the best kit is worthless if you don't have it on you. This is why I keep the above listed GHB handy. My very similar, albeit more extensive, BOB might never get retrieved.

I've often contemplated eliminating the GHB level of kit entirely in favor of just keeping my BOB on hand. However, I always default to concerns over looking like a "militant survivalist walking home" instead of the "gray business man walking home". Granted, if the fecal matter fully impacts the oscillating blades all pretext of being "just some guy" will take second priority to being ready to move swift, silent and deadly.

My research and theory holds thus:

Cataclysm comes in two forms: SWIFT and PROGRESSIVE. The severity level can vary in each.

SWIFT EMERGENCIES

These are events that occur without warning. Examples include: surprise nuclear attack; acts of terrorism; tornadoes (there are some warnings, but they can "pop up" too); EMP event; train derailment with bio or chem irritant or worse; etc. This category also includes violent assault.

Swift Emergencies will force the survivor to rely upon prior planning. They may not have access to mechanized travel. They may not have a home or neighborhood to return to. These are the most difficult to survive, and require the most thorough consideration, planning and review.

PROGRESSIVE EMERGENCIES

These are events that have precursors and often involve escalation. Examples include: racial rioting; hurricanes; police state actions; traditional warfare, etc.

Progressive Emergencies are like seasonal clothing. As the weather gets colder you can add more clothing. Similarly, as the situation deteriorates you can increase your situational preparedness.

Identifying and quantifying the threats you face is the first step in preparedness. Buying a backpack and filling it with kit is a lot more fun than thinking about a biological release killing your family (in a most horrific way), but if you identify the threat then you can: A) learn how to mitigate the threat; B) acquire the gear needed to assist "A".

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035010 11/18/15 04:07 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I'm starting a sister thread called "Threat Analysis" where we can all contribute ideas on the threats we face and how to mitigate them.

Please consider the two threads as separate components of a single theme.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035013 11/18/15 07:19 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Architect
I've got similar items in my "Kit", but I need to remove/replace and add some items.

Randy,
I don't openly recommend copying my kit contents because your situational needs might differ. However, we share a similar climate and lifestyle so I feel comfortable recommending my kit as a solid GHB.

Not going to copy your kit Arch, just use it as a guide to build my own. By studying the contents of yours, I can add to or subtract from to fit what I perceive as my own needs.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035014 11/18/15 07:23 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Architect
I'm starting a sister thread called "Threat Analysis" where we can all contribute ideas on the threats we face and how to mitigate them.

Please consider the two threads as separate components of a single theme.

COOL! I am SO glad you are back to posting again. I anticipate your posts like a 13 year old does a "glimpse" at Playboy!

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035030 11/19/15 05:52 PM
M
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M
Feet, hands and eyes.

These are the most used and highly vulnerable body parts in any survival situation.

Get the best fitting and most durable boots available, regardless of cost. Happy feet will keep you upright and moving.

Always have a pair (or two) of high quality glove available and USE them. Cuts on your hands are prime infection routes. In a situation with little to no medical help, you have to do all you can to stay healthy. Check out Youngstown Glove Company waterproof Kevlar gloves.
Protect those eyes above all. Protective glasses are better that nothing but a great pair of goggles are even better (side protection). Ever get whacked in the face when walking through the woods? Or have a strong wind in your face during the winter?

One of the items that Gary included in his Get Home Bag that I rarely see is a mosquito head net. This super lightweight item borders on the necessity/luxury list. It also rates very high on my sanity/mental well-being list, and has the added benefit of helping to break up your silhouette when worn. I cannot express how much I hate mosquitoes buzzing and biting me when trying to sleep.

I also have been moving away from 550 paracord in favor of the 850 paracord. Diameter wise 550 and 850 are practically identical (.125” to .15625” for 550 vs. .15625” to .1875” for 850).

Remember this: Everytime I blink, you disappear.
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035048 11/20/15 03:47 AM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Where do you get your 850 cord from? I would like to try braiding some up but it is much harder to come by.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035074 11/20/15 09:22 PM
M
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M
Greaser,
Got it off of Amazon, made by X-cords, $37.77 for 300' of black 850 paracord.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035083 11/21/15 02:21 AM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Thanks
Not a bad price especially for the extra strength. Is there any cheap knock off stuff like there is with 550? I like to buy it from local for that reason unless they are a reputable seller.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035103 11/21/15 05:27 PM
M
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M
I've only bought the X-cord brand, but I'm sure there is an unscrupulous wanna-be out there somewhere hoping to take your money for a cheap knock off.

Very happy (so far) with the X-cord product though. Looked at some 950 survival cord but it’s radically different from the “normal” Paracord we are all used to. While it has a smaller diameter (.11”) than the standard 550 cord (.125”-.15625”), it can’t be burned to seal the ends. It requires glue type sealant or a knot to keep the 950 cord from fraying. Plus there aren’t any internal strands in the 950 cord. It’s made up of 11 strands woven together kind of a in a flat tube and has hardly any stretch to it. I’ve read that some people complained that it didn’t hold knots well but that could be overcome with a different knot type. Amazon is selling 100’ of SGT KNOTS Technora 950 Survival Cord for $34.95 (http://www.amazon.com/SGT-KNOTS%C2%AE-Technora-Survival-Cord/dp/B008J5AUGC), so it’s much more expensive than the 850 paracord.

Some advantages of the 950 cord are that it has a higher abrasion resistance than Paracord and has UV protection. I’ve got a piece of 500 cord holding down the bottom of my backyard hurricane fence that’s going on 4 years and is still holding well so I’m not sure if the UV protection would be major consideration on choosing 950 survival cord over paracord.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035106 11/21/15 07:19 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Wait, you live about 150 miles North of us and you have a HURRICANE Fence! Y'all must get some REALLY higher winds up there than we do down here. wink

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 11/21/15 07:20 PM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4