Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Survival Gear Essentials... #1034785 11/12/15 07:24 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I think we're all guilty of enjoying contemplating, discussing, searching for, buying, and testing survival gear. The resultant effect is a pile of gear that is usually more robust than it needs to be. As you all probably know, I'm exceedingly guilty of accumulating extremely excessive amounts of gear. Ironically, I've started to shift away from the philosophy of "triple redundancy" and toward "utility redundancy".

An example of "UR" is can be explained by discussing a USGI Poncho. The USGI poncho is very durable and has many functions: poncho smirk , lean-to shelter roof, emergency litter (drag / carry an injured person), rain collector (if you string them out upside down they'll collect water in the head hole), ground cover, and more.

By selecting gear that has multiple functions you can reduce the amount of gear you have to carry. You can further reduce your load by increasing your knowledge and experience. Novices often don't know what they'll ACTUALLY NEED and either carry too little or too much. The latter is the focus of this thread.

My philosophy has shifted toward being light and moving quickly / silently / more efficiently. This philosophy requires a degree of trade: "run light and freeze at night" and/or "30 pound ruck equals have to shoot more bucks". Both common sentiments means: the less you carry the more you're likely to suffer.

Having made the above statement, I want to follow up by saying: those who plan on running out of their homes at the first sign of trouble will likely end up dead. Staying in your home (food, water, shelter, defense, medical, etc) as long as possible is paramount. HOWEVER, if you have to leave on foot I have come to believe your chances IMPROVE with DECREASED bulk. You'll need to couple ingenuity with woodlore skill, but the results will surprise you.

As time permits, I'll add additional information to this thread (such as gear choices, etc).

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034794 11/13/15 02:36 AM
SkunkHunter Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
GREAT Post Gary. Thank You. I also think that lighter equals better/quieter movement AND to actually being quicker allowing you to get to your destination faster. And yeah, don't leave unless you have to. Plan on bugging IN but have your BOB packed and ready to go close to you as much as you can.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 11/13/15 03:13 AM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: SkunkHunter] #1034810 11/13/15 11:42 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
You both make good points. It's important that you be honest with yourself and your ability to carry a load. A pack, water, firearm, knife, etc. is going to get really heavy after a very short time. Your physical condition is paramount; most folks are not in the condition they think they're in. In a real catastophe many deaths will result from heart attacks due to over-exertion. We aren't as young as we used to be!

I believe that "bugging in" is the best choice for MOST of us; we have shelter, fire, water, and food covered. If you have neighbors, form an alliance with them. There's greater safety in numbers, but be prepared to help each other with needed items.

If you are faced with no other choice but to leave (a 1,000 member gang, etc. is approaching), get out of Dodge with a vehicle loaded up with supplies and fully gassed up. Try to retain the "gray man" status and not stand out. Have a pre-determined place of safety to retreat to instead of relying just in luck.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034815 11/13/15 02:53 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I agree with you both. Staying put until you have no choice but to leave is the correct solution for virtually every scenario I've devised. However, as you both stated, being ready to bail out is also prudent planning. Notice I referred to it as "bailing out". This is because choosing to leave the security of your home is a last ditch effort to SAVE YOUR LIFE (just like bailing out of a crippled aircraft). The horse has been sufficiently beat.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034816 11/13/15 03:00 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Most of us work away from the home, and probably have varying capabilities to carry equipment with us. My solution for this is to have "layers" of gear. We've discussed this many times, but here goes again:

PC (Politically Correct / Pocket Carry)
PSK (Personal Survival Kit)
GHB (Get Home Bag)
BOB (Bail / Bug Out Bag)
INCH (I'm Never Coming Home)

PC = pocket carried gear that doesn't scare the herd of sheeple we work and live around. This is gear that can be taken NEARLY everywhere.

PSK = slightly more robust capability, but still VERY compact. This fits in a single pocket of your coat, backpack, briefcase, etc.

BOB = this 72+ hour bag is designed to get you away from trouble. You had better have a Plan-B because you're not going to live forever out of this bag.

INCH = only a rarefied few actually master the ability to leave their home for a preset destination...forever. This kit is more of a lifestyle than a bag of stuff. INCH work includes a fully stocked vehicle and retreat destination. I don't have this, and only read about people who do.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034817 11/13/15 03:09 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
My PC Kit:

Spyderco Endura4 FFG
Leatherman Serac S3 LED flashlight
Bic mini-lighter (I do not smoke - this is for fire)
* Ruger LCP with spare mag

* The Ruger LCP is my bottom rung / deep concealment handgun. Whenever possible, I carry a true fighting handgun (Glock or HK in 9mm, 40SW, 45Acp, 10mm) with at least two spare magazines.

This is an incredibly basic "survival kit" geared toward normal life with a tiny degree of "capability" built in. In my day-to-day life the largest danger I face is violent assault, a car accident and nasty weather. The gear I've selected addresses these issues:

KNIFE = back up defense; seat belt cutter; survival tool.
FLASHLIGHT = defense; signaling; power outages; etc.
LIGHTER = fire. We need fire to stay alive (warmth; boil water; make a torch; defend against animals; etc).
GUN = defense.

ETA: My PC kit is extremely light and not cumbersome. I would prefer a "stronger" folding knife, but I've yet to find a top quality slicer as light as the FRN Spydercos. This kit has to disappear in dress trousers.

Last edited by Architect; 11/13/15 03:11 PM.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034831 11/14/15 02:37 AM
SkunkHunter Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
WOW, just 6 posts and this thread is already got it all covered. Amazing what well thought out plans/posts can cover in relatively few comments.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034867 11/14/15 12:47 PM
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I also run a layered kit very similar.

I do have a twist. I am lucky in that I am expected to have several weapons on me at any given moment at work.

I have the normal stuff that I carry every day. A small leatherman micro, a healthy folding knife Benchmade Barrage, a compact pistol G-27 with a spare mag. a very small led light and a fire steel tucked into my wallet. Add my phone and you get the gist of it.

I carry a sling bag that looks like a small gym bag. It has a full sized pistol with a light, several spare mags and another knife, another multi-tool, a real flashlight, a trauma kit, a hygiene kit, paracord and a good set of gloves. Add another smartphone to that bag as well.

In my work rig, I have another pack with a little more gear and a rifle with extra ammo, adequate tactical gear (persec) flashlights, maps, tools and adequate gear to finish the job and to get home.

At any given time, I have enough to get out of a bad situation in stand alone kits and the ability to combine kits for a longer situation. This gives me flexibility.

The one thing I wish I had, is adequate water. I have to transport it daily. Leaving it in the rig to freeze isn't going to cut it.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034959 11/17/15 05:22 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Time to talk about my PSK (Personal Survival Kit). This is nothing more than an upgraded PC kit. This is something I can carry in a briefcase, etc. This can supplement or replace the PC kit.

My PSK Kit:

Quick To Don Survival Necklace:

* Swamp Warden with Kydex Sheath
* Light My Fire "Army Model" Firesteel with Striker
* All three items strung on SAFETY ORANGE Paracord

Improved Defense:

* 9mm Handgun (minimum)
* (2) Spare Magazines (minimum)

Improved Shelter:

* Emergency Space Blanket
* Emergency Disposable Poncho

Improved Water:

* Collapsed Platypus 1L Water Bag/Bottle
* Aquamira Survival Water Filter
* (3) Katadyn Purification Tablets

Improved Navigation:

* Compass
* County Comm Maratac AA Flashlight

More On Water:

I always carry one or two Nalgene or a couple of .5 L bottles of water with me. I keep a case of water in my work vehicle (rotate/replace the car case after I drink the case sitting in my office).

This kit doesn't contain a lot of gear, but the kit is light and small. This is a minimalist kit, but my chances of surviving are GREATLY increased with these basic resources.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034961 11/17/15 05:55 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
My Get Home Bag (GHB):

Maxpedition Sitka S-Type Backpack

Clothing

(1) Fleece Jacket, Lightweight
(1 set) Silk Weight Polypropylene (Bottom & Top), USGI ECWCS
(1) Wool Cap
(1 set) Wool Gloves with Thinsulate Liners 0oF, Refrigiwear 0321
(1 pair) Wool Socks, 100% Omni-Wool

Defense Related

(150rds) Ammunition, 9x19mm
(1) Handgun, Glock 9mm
(4) Magazines, Glock 9mm
(1) Sunglasses, Polycarbonate Safety

Fire Making

(1) Butane Lighter, Bic
(1) Fire Steel with Striker, LMF Army
(2) Tinder Bottles, 35mm with Petrol-Cotton

First Aid Kit & Hygiene

(6) Antiseptic Wipes, Wet Ones
(20) Bandages, Assorted Self Adhesive
(1) Combat Application Tourniquet, North American Rescue
(1) Compression Bandage, Israeli
(1) Compressed Gauze, H&H
(1) Floss, Waxed
(4”) Foot Care, Moleskin Adhesive Fabric (cut to size)
(1) Hemostatic, QuikClot Combat Sponge

Food

(110 yds) Fishing & Snare Line, 15#
(20) Fishing Hooks, Assorted
(1) Mess Utensil, Plastic LMF Spork
(1) Ration Bar, Mainstay 3600 Calorie (Exp 6/19)
(3) Tea Bags, Organic Rooibos

Navigation & Signaling

(1) Compass, Engineer’s with Magnifying Glass
(1) Headlamp, Streamlight Sidewinder Compact 2
(4) Batteries, AA Lithium

Shelter

(1) Emergency Space Blanket, Deluxe 2 Person
(1) Mosquito Head Net
(50 ft) Paracord, Mil-Spec Type III 7-Strand 550
(1) Poncho, USGI

Tools

(1) Detail Knife, Spyderco Endura4
(1) Heavy Duty Knife, Swamp Rat Rodent 6 with Mashed Cat Sheath [this changes often...Busse ASH, SR RMD, etc)
(1) Sharpening Stone, Lansky

Water

(1) Nesting Cup, Ozark Trail Stainless
(1) Water Bottle, 32oz Nalgene [to be replaced with Stainless Bottle]
(1) Water Filter, Sawyer Mini
(6) Water Purification Tablets, Katadyn

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034966 11/17/15 07:40 PM
SkunkHunter Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I've got similar items in my "Kit", but I need to remove/replace and add some items.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034967 11/17/15 07:40 PM
SkunkHunter Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Oh and thanks Gary.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4