Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Survival Gear Essentials... #1034785 11/12/15 07:24 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I think we're all guilty of enjoying contemplating, discussing, searching for, buying, and testing survival gear. The resultant effect is a pile of gear that is usually more robust than it needs to be. As you all probably know, I'm exceedingly guilty of accumulating extremely excessive amounts of gear. Ironically, I've started to shift away from the philosophy of "triple redundancy" and toward "utility redundancy".

An example of "UR" is can be explained by discussing a USGI Poncho. The USGI poncho is very durable and has many functions: poncho smirk , lean-to shelter roof, emergency litter (drag / carry an injured person), rain collector (if you string them out upside down they'll collect water in the head hole), ground cover, and more.

By selecting gear that has multiple functions you can reduce the amount of gear you have to carry. You can further reduce your load by increasing your knowledge and experience. Novices often don't know what they'll ACTUALLY NEED and either carry too little or too much. The latter is the focus of this thread.

My philosophy has shifted toward being light and moving quickly / silently / more efficiently. This philosophy requires a degree of trade: "run light and freeze at night" and/or "30 pound ruck equals have to shoot more bucks". Both common sentiments means: the less you carry the more you're likely to suffer.

Having made the above statement, I want to follow up by saying: those who plan on running out of their homes at the first sign of trouble will likely end up dead. Staying in your home (food, water, shelter, defense, medical, etc) as long as possible is paramount. HOWEVER, if you have to leave on foot I have come to believe your chances IMPROVE with DECREASED bulk. You'll need to couple ingenuity with woodlore skill, but the results will surprise you.

As time permits, I'll add additional information to this thread (such as gear choices, etc).

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034794 11/13/15 02:36 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
GREAT Post Gary. Thank You. I also think that lighter equals better/quieter movement AND to actually being quicker allowing you to get to your destination faster. And yeah, don't leave unless you have to. Plan on bugging IN but have your BOB packed and ready to go close to you as much as you can.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 11/13/15 03:13 AM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: SkunkHunter] #1034810 11/13/15 11:42 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
You both make good points. It's important that you be honest with yourself and your ability to carry a load. A pack, water, firearm, knife, etc. is going to get really heavy after a very short time. Your physical condition is paramount; most folks are not in the condition they think they're in. In a real catastophe many deaths will result from heart attacks due to over-exertion. We aren't as young as we used to be!

I believe that "bugging in" is the best choice for MOST of us; we have shelter, fire, water, and food covered. If you have neighbors, form an alliance with them. There's greater safety in numbers, but be prepared to help each other with needed items.

If you are faced with no other choice but to leave (a 1,000 member gang, etc. is approaching), get out of Dodge with a vehicle loaded up with supplies and fully gassed up. Try to retain the "gray man" status and not stand out. Have a pre-determined place of safety to retreat to instead of relying just in luck.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034815 11/13/15 02:53 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I agree with you both. Staying put until you have no choice but to leave is the correct solution for virtually every scenario I've devised. However, as you both stated, being ready to bail out is also prudent planning. Notice I referred to it as "bailing out". This is because choosing to leave the security of your home is a last ditch effort to SAVE YOUR LIFE (just like bailing out of a crippled aircraft). The horse has been sufficiently beat.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034816 11/13/15 03:00 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Most of us work away from the home, and probably have varying capabilities to carry equipment with us. My solution for this is to have "layers" of gear. We've discussed this many times, but here goes again:

PC (Politically Correct / Pocket Carry)
PSK (Personal Survival Kit)
GHB (Get Home Bag)
BOB (Bail / Bug Out Bag)
INCH (I'm Never Coming Home)

PC = pocket carried gear that doesn't scare the herd of sheeple we work and live around. This is gear that can be taken NEARLY everywhere.

PSK = slightly more robust capability, but still VERY compact. This fits in a single pocket of your coat, backpack, briefcase, etc.

BOB = this 72+ hour bag is designed to get you away from trouble. You had better have a Plan-B because you're not going to live forever out of this bag.

INCH = only a rarefied few actually master the ability to leave their home for a preset destination...forever. This kit is more of a lifestyle than a bag of stuff. INCH work includes a fully stocked vehicle and retreat destination. I don't have this, and only read about people who do.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034817 11/13/15 03:09 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
My PC Kit:

Spyderco Endura4 FFG
Leatherman Serac S3 LED flashlight
Bic mini-lighter (I do not smoke - this is for fire)
* Ruger LCP with spare mag

* The Ruger LCP is my bottom rung / deep concealment handgun. Whenever possible, I carry a true fighting handgun (Glock or HK in 9mm, 40SW, 45Acp, 10mm) with at least two spare magazines.

This is an incredibly basic "survival kit" geared toward normal life with a tiny degree of "capability" built in. In my day-to-day life the largest danger I face is violent assault, a car accident and nasty weather. The gear I've selected addresses these issues:

KNIFE = back up defense; seat belt cutter; survival tool.
FLASHLIGHT = defense; signaling; power outages; etc.
LIGHTER = fire. We need fire to stay alive (warmth; boil water; make a torch; defend against animals; etc).
GUN = defense.

ETA: My PC kit is extremely light and not cumbersome. I would prefer a "stronger" folding knife, but I've yet to find a top quality slicer as light as the FRN Spydercos. This kit has to disappear in dress trousers.

Last edited by Architect; 11/13/15 03:11 PM.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034831 11/14/15 02:37 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
WOW, just 6 posts and this thread is already got it all covered. Amazing what well thought out plans/posts can cover in relatively few comments.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034867 11/14/15 12:47 PM
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I also run a layered kit very similar.

I do have a twist. I am lucky in that I am expected to have several weapons on me at any given moment at work.

I have the normal stuff that I carry every day. A small leatherman micro, a healthy folding knife Benchmade Barrage, a compact pistol G-27 with a spare mag. a very small led light and a fire steel tucked into my wallet. Add my phone and you get the gist of it.

I carry a sling bag that looks like a small gym bag. It has a full sized pistol with a light, several spare mags and another knife, another multi-tool, a real flashlight, a trauma kit, a hygiene kit, paracord and a good set of gloves. Add another smartphone to that bag as well.

In my work rig, I have another pack with a little more gear and a rifle with extra ammo, adequate tactical gear (persec) flashlights, maps, tools and adequate gear to finish the job and to get home.

At any given time, I have enough to get out of a bad situation in stand alone kits and the ability to combine kits for a longer situation. This gives me flexibility.

The one thing I wish I had, is adequate water. I have to transport it daily. Leaving it in the rig to freeze isn't going to cut it.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034959 11/17/15 05:22 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Time to talk about my PSK (Personal Survival Kit). This is nothing more than an upgraded PC kit. This is something I can carry in a briefcase, etc. This can supplement or replace the PC kit.

My PSK Kit:

Quick To Don Survival Necklace:

* Swamp Warden with Kydex Sheath
* Light My Fire "Army Model" Firesteel with Striker
* All three items strung on SAFETY ORANGE Paracord

Improved Defense:

* 9mm Handgun (minimum)
* (2) Spare Magazines (minimum)

Improved Shelter:

* Emergency Space Blanket
* Emergency Disposable Poncho

Improved Water:

* Collapsed Platypus 1L Water Bag/Bottle
* Aquamira Survival Water Filter
* (3) Katadyn Purification Tablets

Improved Navigation:

* Compass
* County Comm Maratac AA Flashlight

More On Water:

I always carry one or two Nalgene or a couple of .5 L bottles of water with me. I keep a case of water in my work vehicle (rotate/replace the car case after I drink the case sitting in my office).

This kit doesn't contain a lot of gear, but the kit is light and small. This is a minimalist kit, but my chances of surviving are GREATLY increased with these basic resources.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034961 11/17/15 05:55 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
My Get Home Bag (GHB):

Maxpedition Sitka S-Type Backpack

Clothing

(1) Fleece Jacket, Lightweight
(1 set) Silk Weight Polypropylene (Bottom & Top), USGI ECWCS
(1) Wool Cap
(1 set) Wool Gloves with Thinsulate Liners 0oF, Refrigiwear 0321
(1 pair) Wool Socks, 100% Omni-Wool

Defense Related

(150rds) Ammunition, 9x19mm
(1) Handgun, Glock 9mm
(4) Magazines, Glock 9mm
(1) Sunglasses, Polycarbonate Safety

Fire Making

(1) Butane Lighter, Bic
(1) Fire Steel with Striker, LMF Army
(2) Tinder Bottles, 35mm with Petrol-Cotton

First Aid Kit & Hygiene

(6) Antiseptic Wipes, Wet Ones
(20) Bandages, Assorted Self Adhesive
(1) Combat Application Tourniquet, North American Rescue
(1) Compression Bandage, Israeli
(1) Compressed Gauze, H&H
(1) Floss, Waxed
(4”) Foot Care, Moleskin Adhesive Fabric (cut to size)
(1) Hemostatic, QuikClot Combat Sponge

Food

(110 yds) Fishing & Snare Line, 15#
(20) Fishing Hooks, Assorted
(1) Mess Utensil, Plastic LMF Spork
(1) Ration Bar, Mainstay 3600 Calorie (Exp 6/19)
(3) Tea Bags, Organic Rooibos

Navigation & Signaling

(1) Compass, Engineer’s with Magnifying Glass
(1) Headlamp, Streamlight Sidewinder Compact 2
(4) Batteries, AA Lithium

Shelter

(1) Emergency Space Blanket, Deluxe 2 Person
(1) Mosquito Head Net
(50 ft) Paracord, Mil-Spec Type III 7-Strand 550
(1) Poncho, USGI

Tools

(1) Detail Knife, Spyderco Endura4
(1) Heavy Duty Knife, Swamp Rat Rodent 6 with Mashed Cat Sheath [this changes often...Busse ASH, SR RMD, etc)
(1) Sharpening Stone, Lansky

Water

(1) Nesting Cup, Ozark Trail Stainless
(1) Water Bottle, 32oz Nalgene [to be replaced with Stainless Bottle]
(1) Water Filter, Sawyer Mini
(6) Water Purification Tablets, Katadyn

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034966 11/17/15 07:40 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I've got similar items in my "Kit", but I need to remove/replace and add some items.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034967 11/17/15 07:40 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Oh and thanks Gary.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: SkunkHunter] #1035007 11/18/15 03:47 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
I've got similar items in my "Kit", but I need to remove/replace and add some items.

Randy,
I don't openly recommend copying my kit contents because your situational needs might differ. However, we share a similar climate and lifestyle so I feel comfortable recommending my kit as a solid GHB.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: SkunkHunter] #1035008 11/18/15 03:47 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Oh and thanks Gary.

Shameless attempt to raise my post count.

ETA: You're welcome.

Last edited by Architect; 11/18/15 03:48 PM.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035009 11/18/15 04:06 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Many will notice my GHB is as comprehensive as a lightweight BOB. This isn't a coincidence. I always advocate STAYING HOME in an emergency until doing so is a completely untenable option. You have to get home to stay there. However, once you arrive at your home you may find it has been destroyed. I've been involved in natural disaster recovery efforts wherein homes were completely and utterly...gone. The only sign there WAS a house would be the foundation block.

These experiences imprinted upon my survival mindset an opinion that the best kit is worthless if you don't have it on you. This is why I keep the above listed GHB handy. My very similar, albeit more extensive, BOB might never get retrieved.

I've often contemplated eliminating the GHB level of kit entirely in favor of just keeping my BOB on hand. However, I always default to concerns over looking like a "militant survivalist walking home" instead of the "gray business man walking home". Granted, if the fecal matter fully impacts the oscillating blades all pretext of being "just some guy" will take second priority to being ready to move swift, silent and deadly.

My research and theory holds thus:

Cataclysm comes in two forms: SWIFT and PROGRESSIVE. The severity level can vary in each.

SWIFT EMERGENCIES

These are events that occur without warning. Examples include: surprise nuclear attack; acts of terrorism; tornadoes (there are some warnings, but they can "pop up" too); EMP event; train derailment with bio or chem irritant or worse; etc. This category also includes violent assault.

Swift Emergencies will force the survivor to rely upon prior planning. They may not have access to mechanized travel. They may not have a home or neighborhood to return to. These are the most difficult to survive, and require the most thorough consideration, planning and review.

PROGRESSIVE EMERGENCIES

These are events that have precursors and often involve escalation. Examples include: racial rioting; hurricanes; police state actions; traditional warfare, etc.

Progressive Emergencies are like seasonal clothing. As the weather gets colder you can add more clothing. Similarly, as the situation deteriorates you can increase your situational preparedness.

Identifying and quantifying the threats you face is the first step in preparedness. Buying a backpack and filling it with kit is a lot more fun than thinking about a biological release killing your family (in a most horrific way), but if you identify the threat then you can: A) learn how to mitigate the threat; B) acquire the gear needed to assist "A".

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035010 11/18/15 04:07 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I'm starting a sister thread called "Threat Analysis" where we can all contribute ideas on the threats we face and how to mitigate them.

Please consider the two threads as separate components of a single theme.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035013 11/18/15 07:19 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Architect

Randy,
I don't openly recommend copying my kit contents because your situational needs might differ. However, we share a similar climate and lifestyle so I feel comfortable recommending my kit as a solid GHB.

Not going to copy your kit Arch, just use it as a guide to build my own. By studying the contents of yours, I can add to or subtract from to fit what I perceive as my own needs.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035014 11/18/15 07:23 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I'm starting a sister thread called "Threat Analysis" where we can all contribute ideas on the threats we face and how to mitigate them.

Please consider the two threads as separate components of a single theme.

COOL! I am SO glad you are back to posting again. I anticipate your posts like a 13 year old does a "glimpse" at Playboy!

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035030 11/19/15 05:52 PM
M
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M
Feet, hands and eyes.

These are the most used and highly vulnerable body parts in any survival situation.

Get the best fitting and most durable boots available, regardless of cost. Happy feet will keep you upright and moving.

Always have a pair (or two) of high quality glove available and USE them. Cuts on your hands are prime infection routes. In a situation with little to no medical help, you have to do all you can to stay healthy. Check out Youngstown Glove Company waterproof Kevlar gloves.
Protect those eyes above all. Protective glasses are better that nothing but a great pair of goggles are even better (side protection). Ever get whacked in the face when walking through the woods? Or have a strong wind in your face during the winter?

One of the items that Gary included in his Get Home Bag that I rarely see is a mosquito head net. This super lightweight item borders on the necessity/luxury list. It also rates very high on my sanity/mental well-being list, and has the added benefit of helping to break up your silhouette when worn. I cannot express how much I hate mosquitoes buzzing and biting me when trying to sleep.

I also have been moving away from 550 paracord in favor of the 850 paracord. Diameter wise 550 and 850 are practically identical (.125” to .15625” for 550 vs. .15625” to .1875” for 850).

Remember this: Everytime I blink, you disappear.
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035048 11/20/15 03:47 AM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Where do you get your 850 cord from? I would like to try braiding some up but it is much harder to come by.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035074 11/20/15 09:22 PM
M
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M
Greaser,
Got it off of Amazon, made by X-cords, $37.77 for 300' of black 850 paracord.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035083 11/21/15 02:21 AM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Thanks
Not a bad price especially for the extra strength. Is there any cheap knock off stuff like there is with 550? I like to buy it from local for that reason unless they are a reputable seller.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035103 11/21/15 05:27 PM
M
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M
I've only bought the X-cord brand, but I'm sure there is an unscrupulous wanna-be out there somewhere hoping to take your money for a cheap knock off.

Very happy (so far) with the X-cord product though. Looked at some 950 survival cord but it’s radically different from the “normal” Paracord we are all used to. While it has a smaller diameter (.11”) than the standard 550 cord (.125”-.15625”), it can’t be burned to seal the ends. It requires glue type sealant or a knot to keep the 950 cord from fraying. Plus there aren’t any internal strands in the 950 cord. It’s made up of 11 strands woven together kind of a in a flat tube and has hardly any stretch to it. I’ve read that some people complained that it didn’t hold knots well but that could be overcome with a different knot type. Amazon is selling 100’ of SGT KNOTS Technora 950 Survival Cord for $34.95 (http://www.amazon.com/SGT-KNOTS%C2%AE-Technora-Survival-Cord/dp/B008J5AUGC), so it’s much more expensive than the 850 paracord.

Some advantages of the 950 cord are that it has a higher abrasion resistance than Paracord and has UV protection. I’ve got a piece of 500 cord holding down the bottom of my backyard hurricane fence that’s going on 4 years and is still holding well so I’m not sure if the UV protection would be major consideration on choosing 950 survival cord over paracord.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035106 11/21/15 07:19 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Wait, you live about 150 miles North of us and you have a HURRICANE Fence! Y'all must get some REALLY higher winds up there than we do down here. wink

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 11/21/15 07:20 PM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035122 11/22/15 04:59 PM
M
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M
When new first bought the property 22 years ago, I wanted to plant a small bean field and planned ahead with the fence. You might say I’m prone to, …intestinal problems the day after eating beans.

We live on a lake and put the fence in to keep the kids and dogs out of the lake, the geese and ducks out of the yard, and to make for good neighbors.

The dogs used to make friends with the geese, and the neighbor dogs by pushing on the bottom of the fence and escaping the yard. They didn’t have enough posts to stay on the porch/deck. We put poles along the bottom of the fence to keep the dogs from lifting the fence. We used the aluminum wire to hold the fence and pole together in most spots. In a few places I replaced the wire with 550 cord after one of my boys kept breaking the wire by throwing a ball against an old piece of carpet hanging from the fence. Plus it gave me an opportunity to see how long the cord would last when subjected to sun, wind, water, cold and a string trimmer.

Four years late the boy has moved out but the cord is still holding strong.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1035125 11/22/15 08:32 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
You never said you live on a lake, I like lakes. wink . Seriously. I can see why you have a fence. I was just messing with you calling it a hurricane fence this far inland. But I think I would have a fence as well. Sides, you wouldn't want to blow the sailboats off course after the bean fest. smile

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1037720 02/07/16 05:07 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1037721 02/07/16 05:19 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/07/16 06:31 PM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1037722 02/07/16 06:00 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/07/16 06:37 PM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039025 03/20/16 10:17 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
This is a good to know.

https://youtu.be/GtXWGDb2ppo

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039755 04/09/16 02:55 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Found a couple of interesting things. Here is the first
http://www.notifbutwhensurvivalstore.com/LightCube-Xtreme-p/light-cube.htm

And here is the second. The video is about 15 minutes long, but he talks about some versatile items toward the end.
http://www.notifbutwhensurvivalstore.com/product-p/instant-bowstring.htm

A quite interesting site
http://www.notifbutwhensurvivalstore.com/

For those of you that are aware of him, this site seems to be endorsed by Creek Stewart.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039756 04/09/16 03:02 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 04/09/16 03:29 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039949 04/15/16 08:41 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
[Linked Image from i68.tinypic.com]

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 04/15/16 08:43 AM.

Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039950 04/15/16 08:45 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
[Linked Image from i68.tinypic.com]

Hehe, I see you finally found them. smile

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: greaser] #1040046 04/17/16 03:11 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by greaser
Where do you get your 850 cord from? I would like to try braiding some up but it is much harder to come by.

After going back and reading this thread again, I think that I shall go ahead and make up an INCH bag fully stocked (sort of) at all times. I have the Boots now that I can put in there along with some nice winter gloves and other items that can reside inside and be "Abandoned" if needed for something different, ie. Winter clothing for summer wear.

Greaser, Here is a source for 1/4 inch thick 1000 pound test para cord in 10,25,50 and 100 foot hanks.

http://www.paracordplanet.com/paracord/specialty-cord/para-max-cord/

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1040176 04/20/16 11:27 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Boy did I hit a gold mine! Got a message from a guy getting rid of quite a bit of really quality gear, If you are looking for anything hit me a PM and I can send you a list, and maybe even some pics!

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1040178 04/20/16 03:48 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
While checking out a plastic container in the shed I came across an army medic bag. It is about 18 inches square and probably at least 6 inches thick. It has several snap out pouches roughly the same size, some mesh some not. it also has mesh "Pouches sewn into the inside top, bottom and sides to store stuff.

This is it, but mine is woodland camo.
http://www.collectiblesanyday.com/jpg/301722183783_1.jpg

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 04/20/16 04:30 PM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1040221 04/22/16 06:24 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Found an old book I didn't know I had (copyrIght 1991). Titled "The Green Beret's Compass Course"(subtitled The New Way to Stay Found (Not Lost) Anywhere) by Don Paul.

Don't know what to think about it yet anyway. He touts Navigation WITHOUT a map, just a compass If I understand it right. As I've said, we shall see.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 04/22/16 06:28 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1040222 04/22/16 07:00 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Well after reading the book for a while I have come to realize that although it may work It is so confusing on the face of things that I will probably just put it back in a drawer to be forgotten again for many years.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Survival Gear Essentials... [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1040225 04/22/16 11:46 AM
M
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M
If you know where your at and know where you want to go, then you don't need a map.

But most people carry a map for those times where they aren't sure or don't know where they are or know where they are but don't know how to get where they want to go. And in emergencies, you'll get much faster response times if you can give accurate grid coordinates rather than directions like "by the little lake shaped like a shoe".

In my opinion, navigating without an accurate local map is a calorie burning losing proposition.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4