Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039388 04/01/16 03:46 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Well I've got the bag pouch thing completed. Settled on the Maxpedition Malaga for an EDC Small EMERGENCY bag. AND a Maxpedition Fatty organizer (mainly cause I got it for $14.95) ! I am thinking REAL seriously about putting my Chris Reeve Umnumzaan in the organizer. It's a sturdy knife, using S35VM steel at an RC of 59-60 and a blade length of 3.7 inches. It's a Hoss and should work in the Organizer nicely.

I'm still kinda up in the air about a blade for the Malaga. I WANT to use my War dog Or S5, still can't decide which one for sure. BUT under the thinking of dual purpose, I have a Mora knife with a ferro rod built into the handle that is a nice knife that would be a nice touch but an actual rod/striker/magnesium rod wouldn't take up all that much room. Decisions decisions.

I'm pretty satisfied with the other stuff I plan on using in the Malaga and Organizer but will still hem haw around until I actually get them filled. Guess that's part of the fun in building up new kits.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 04/01/16 07:45 AM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039389 04/01/16 04:20 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I was just thinking about one thing we haven't or haven't talked about that much is REQUIRED maintenance medications. HOW do we carry them and how many days worth do we carry?

Do we carry them in an amber colored bottle like we get from the pharmacy or in individual (daily) doses? Do we carry them in "Food saver" sealed packets? What is the shelf life of our meds?

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 04/01/16 04:23 AM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039407 04/01/16 04:04 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Randy, I've used both and settled on a Clam Shell. It isn't as secure, but prevents having to dump everything out to find that one item you're looking for.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: SkunkHunter] #1039408 04/01/16 04:05 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
I was just thinking about one thing we haven't or haven't talked about that much is REQUIRED maintenance medications. HOW do we carry them and how many days worth do we carry?

Just say no.

I'm 100% drug free (don't even take Advil or Tylenol) so I've not considered this issue.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: SkunkHunter] #1039409 04/01/16 04:11 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
My Problem is I try to figure out every contingency and prepare for it. These Kits aren't designed for that so I need Guidance and that is just what I am getting from this and your new revised thread. Plus there are a FEW things I could add on my own. smile

Its easy to over stuff a kit (regardless of the size). Gear Creep is a common issue. At one point, around ten years ago, my Bug Out Bag weighed 89 pounds.

E I G H T Y N I N E P O U N D S

My BOB weighs 31 pounds now.

I've been asked to evaluate and analyze other people's kits many many many times over the years, and a few common mistakes always happen:

1) Low quality gear where they shouldn't have tried to save money (typically knives and first aid);

2) Too much redundancy. If we all had pack mules that followed us around it would be okay to have 8 lighters, 6 mess kits, 22 rolls of toilet paper, and a blow up matress, but we don't so pick your redundant items carefully. Redundancy is ONLY WARRANTED in the Core 3: Fire, Water, Shelter Making. Knives fall under all three categories.

3) Unnecessary gear. This is usually a result of overthinking the issue, lack of experience or knowledge, and thinking survival is like a hiking or camping trip. THRIVING is a hiking or camping trip. SURVIVING is getting by until the situation improves. Each requires an entirely different type of planning.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039410 04/01/16 04:14 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Another common problem is pet-hobby packing.

Some people, for example, are gadget geeks so they have two SAK and two Multi-Tools in their kit. In 32 years of hiking, survival training and experimentation, and training I have never ONCE used or needed or wanted a multitool.

Some people, for example, are tech geeks so they have a pair of solar chargers to prep batteries for gear they don't need. The only battery powered device needed is a flashlight. I don't even advocate battery powered radios in EXTENSIVE LONG TERM kits. Get a wind up.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4