header

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#1038424 - 02/28/16 08:59 AM Re: Food: one essential that isn't fun to discuss. [Re: Architect]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
You are correct about Wally world, the ones near here are going more organic.

PLUS Patty "Discovered" a store about a month and a half ago called Schnucks. It is a slightly higher "Class" grocery and they have a lot more organic and other "Better for you Food" We plan on doing more shopping there.

Well my relief is here so I am outta here. I will be back on sometime today.
Countin the days till Retirement! wink JYD#105

#1038425 - 02/28/16 09:02 AM Re: Food: one essential that isn't fun to discuss. [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Earth
As a note: I at the office a minimum of 10 hours a day. A 14 hour day isn't terribly uncommon.

We still manage an amazing food life.

If you're married (and especially if you have children) you have to develop a team strategy toward food. My wife likes to eat (and somehow stays at about 115 pounds) so our road was easier than someone who for example hates to cook. However, we use food as "family time". This has many facets:

I come home for lunch to a delicious freshly prepared salad every day;

We talk about meal planning and discuss food in a fun way;

She reads about food and shares her findings with me;

We often un-plant our bottoms from in front of the idiot box and spend time exploring the food isles together (more organic products are showing up everyday);

We bought a house with a kitchen designed for people who like to cook and eat. We spend time in it together. This may be me sitting and talking or doing something else but we're together making it less of a chore;

At times we cook together;

I try to help with clean up to help promote a healthy marriage and food atmosphere;

We plan trips around food;

We attend farm markets, lectures, and farm visits together;

We share food information with anyone that will listen;

So forth.

I bring this up to illustrate food isn't only about nourishment. Food is the cornerstone of life, society, and family.

Edited by Architect (02/28/16 09:08 AM)
JYD #123

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

#1038426 - 02/28/16 09:04 AM Re: Food: one essential that isn't fun to discuss. [Re: SkunkHunter]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: SkunkHunter
You are correct about Wally world, the ones near here are going more organic.

PLUS Patty "Discovered" a store about a month and a half ago called Schnucks. It is a slightly higher "Class" grocery and they have a lot more organic and other "Better for you Food" We plan on doing more shopping there.

Well my relief is here so I am outta here. I will be back on sometime today.

Yes, the Schnucks family is committed to the organic movement. They were one of the first family owned groceries to do so. Their prices have decreased significantly in recent years.

I forgot to mention:

Target (Greatland and Super scale stores) have a fairly robust organic and non-GMO food selection.
JYD #123

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

#1038427 - 02/28/16 09:08 AM Re: Food: one essential that isn't fun to discuss. [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

We've been "organic" for the better part of a decade. This isn't a "cheap" option, but we chose to do it because of our knowledge of traditional ag practices. "How much is your life worth?". Cancer, obesity, diabetes, etc.

HOWEVER, for those getting started on a healthy food path always look for the "NON-GMO" label. This is a growing movement we have to support if we want to have freely available food for the generations to come.

Yes I sound like a preacher...it is Sunday.
JYD #123

#1038429 - 02/28/16 10:18 AM Re: Food: one essential that isn't fun to discuss. [Re: Architect]
Junk Yard Dog

Hey, I LIKE preachers (IF they know what they are talking about, and you have proven time and again you do). Preach it brother! wink

#1038430 - 02/28/16 10:20 AM Re: Food: one essential that isn't fun to discuss. [Re: Architect]
Junk Yard Dog

I think that discussions like this are what brings folks together, gets folks to thinking about different "Lifestyles" and ways of doing things.

Before You came on the scene here, I wasn't really trying to prepare for anything! But now, I am trying, albeit in my bumbling stumbling slow way. It is fun.

#1038432 - 02/28/16 10:28 AM Re: Food: one essential that isn't fun to discuss. [Re: Architect]
Junk Yard Dog

I know it will sound like I am blowing my own horn, but I am glad I started the nutrition thread. It has brought forth some good stuff and I think it maybe spawned this thread. THIS is a GOOD thread. When folks talk about survival they often concentrate (as you said) on the weapon, kill them all, aspect and totally neglect the most important of the survival mindset, FOOD. Most folks who talk survival talk about freeze dried, MRE, or long term "Kits" which I feel do have their place, but for true long term survival you MUST be able to grow your own food and so many foods today must be grown from hybrid or non reproducing seeds which create a whole set of problems.

Edited by SkunkHunter (02/28/16 10:30 AM)

#1038434 - 02/28/16 10:36 AM Re: Food: one essential that isn't fun to discuss. [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Randy,
I just read this whole thread to my wife, and she mentioned "seeds must be open pollinated for seed saving. Heirloom means the species is at least 50 years old. Seeds must be open pollinated and non-GMO".
JYD #123

#1038435 - 02/28/16 10:38 AM Re: Food: one essential that isn't fun to discuss. [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I'm glad we're straying into other areas of discussion, and happy to be a part of helping people help themselves.

I need to post in your nutrition thread...I've lost five pounds this week.
JYD #123

#1038436 - 02/28/16 10:40 AM Re: Food: one essential that isn't fun to discuss. [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Randy, you've committed to sustainable self preservation and that is wonderful. It's never too early to start!
JYD #123

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >