Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 44 of 156 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 155 156
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1041936 08/14/19 03:04 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
DT,
I've never bought a Vortex due to the cost, but have bought a few rifles that had one installed. I googled it, and they're currently $52-60 which seems ridiculous in this age of $400 complete AR-15s.

The reason I posted the info on the Vortex is because the Rook looks like a similar design and the price was very reasonable. I like the fact it looks like it could be used as a bayonet if needed

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1041940 08/14/19 11:49 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
OK Guys, how do those flash hiders compare to the factory colt one on my AR15 .223 carbine?

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1041941 08/14/19 11:52 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
RN, which one do you have, the MILITARY or the PM2? The Para 3 is a really sweet smaller (as in sheeple friendly) blade.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1041950 08/15/19 12:53 PM
DogTired Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Architect
DT,
I've never bought a Vortex due to the cost, but have bought a few rifles that had one installed. I googled it, and they're currently $52-60 which seems ridiculous in this age of $400 complete AR-15s.

The reason I posted the info on the Vortex is because the Rook looks like a similar design and the price was very reasonable. I like the fact it looks like it could be used as a bayonet if needed

Hmmm... I'm now curious what the heck I was thinking of. I THOUGHT Smith had been forced to stop production. Too close to a patent infringement. Maybe they worked it out, or maybe Smith was doing the suing.

The Rook IS a little pointier, though not nearly as bad as some of the $20 tacticool models out there. I'm sure it could split a sternum in a pinch. I suspect most of these thicker 3-4 prong hiders do a decent job, but can only personally speak for the Rook. Much better than the A2 and other hiders I looked at... though if it's much more than $25, I'd think the A2 would meet most people's needs. Not that sexy, but dang effective.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: SkunkHunter] #1041951 08/15/19 01:01 PM
DogTired Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
OK Guys, how do those flash hiders compare to the factory colt one on my AR15 .223 carbine?

Randy, you can see the flash at night of standing next to it, and MAYBE if you were standing downrange and LOOKING, buy doubtful. Either way it won't blind you at night. The A2 is a solid (ace dirt cheap) device. There's a reason the military uses it.

I should REALLY finish and post my test.... it's all about devices under $50.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: SkunkHunter] #1041992 08/16/19 09:41 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter

The A2 is pretty effective as a flash suppressor and compensator.

I was in a multi-day carbine class once where everyone except me (and one other fool) were using AR-15s. Nearly all of those AR's had A2's on them.

On the second day of training the ground had been pounded into a fine powder. During the prone exercises, every time I fired my AK-101 (5.56 version of a AK-74) that AK-74 brake kicked up so much dust I couldn't see the target for a good moment between shots. Then the wind changed and started blowing the dust in my face. It combined with my sweat to create several rivulets of mud running into my eyes.

The guys on either side of me were shooting ARs with A2 compensators and were not kicking up much dust.

As most military fire comes from a prone position ... the A2 is a good compromise between reducing muzzle flash and keeping debris out of your FOV.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1041993 08/16/19 09:58 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Here are some general observations about "muzzle devices" ...

1) Dedicated "muzzle brakes" seem to intensify muzzle flash. This isn't actually the case, but instead of a "linear" fire ball shooting down range, MBs tend to cause the flash to be more "spherical" about the muzzle device. That is to say, they tend to be more in your FOV.

2) "Three Prong" dedicated flash suppressors are the usually the best design. The M16 originally had a 3-prong. The government closed the end to prevent getting the muzzle stuck in vegetation and to stop GI's from using the prongs as a leverage while prying with their rifles. As mentioned before, the Smith Vortex is the most effective device I've used.

NOTE ON SMITH VORTEX: The Vortex is "tuned". That is to say, if you "flick" one of the three prongs it will sing like a tuning fork. It is my unsubstantiated belief that this "effect" disrupts the flash through some sort of sonic fairy-dust magic.

3) Combined "flash suppressor / compensators" range from "I suck at both" to "I'm pretty okay at both" but are never "great" at both. The A2 is good at both.

4) Muzzle devices range from about $5 to $300. Yes, $300. The over rated KAC MAMs is $302.35.

https://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=KM30168

The most I've personally spent was about $125 during the $1500 Colt AR days. In today's weird depressed gun market I wouldn't spend more than $25-35 unless I needed a specialized muzzle device for sound-suppressor mounting.

Most of the "high end" devices I've owned came on a gun or upper that I bought. That typical situation where all of the custom parts you've added to a gun or upper are basically worthless on the resale market so the next guy benefits. I've been the beneficiary several times and the guy on the losing end countless times.

5) Some other devices that I have personal positive experience:

A2 ... $5 and works.

BCM Gunfighter MOD 0 Compensator ... this actually manages to work like a FH and Compensator. It should work because its basically a slightly modified A2 and costs $90!

BCM Gunfighter MOD 1 Comp ... this is an elongated MOD 0. Works better and costs more.

KAC NT4 ... this is basially a tuned A2 that costs $128 but allows you to quick connect a dedicated sound suppressor

Phantom A2 (first generation with the scalloped end ... second generation sucked) ... at $20-25 (nowadays) this is a nice "inexpensive" MD.

Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1042015 08/16/19 03:55 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
See, the above post is exactly why I am such a fan of your posts. You are just full of it (Oh sorry, meant to say Useful information). grin All joking aside, I really do enjoy reading your posts and have benefited more than once from them.

You CAN speak from actual real world experience and your knowledge proves you take things seriously and do your research. And THAT benefits all us lowly uneducated Dagws (except for DT. DT does pretty good as well, and Gun dog. He's an up and comer as well). I appreciate and enjoy you guys posts.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043201 01/15/20 09:09 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
After tonight, I hope it's the eRATicator for me. grin

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043206 01/15/20 10:11 PM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Got er' done! smile

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043218 01/18/20 12:37 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Not bought it yet, BUT planning on getting a CRKT Kangee T-Hawk for my Birthday. Nope, don't need it but think it looks cool. That should be enough.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043232 01/18/20 10:57 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Sent payment on Monday for a Wilson Combat Vickers Elite.

Page 44 of 156 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 155 156