Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cordless chainsaws #1046267 04/13/20 07:58 PM
coyotebc Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
For almost 40 years (over 35 years for sure) I have carried a chainsaw in my 4x4 when going off road.
My current Stilh chainsaw was bought in the mid/late 1980's
My current pickup is on its last legs and for the short term I am going with an suv (Xterra)
Been there, done that with a gas chainsaw smelling up an suv.
I am thinking of getting a cordless chainsaw and wonder if any of you have experience with one.
I am thinking of about a 12 inch bar

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102
Re: Cordless chainsaws [Re: coyotebc] #1046268 04/13/20 10:04 PM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I picked up the Echo 58V last year to help clean up the land I bought. That thing is a little beast! My dad has a Stihl that's the same size. I haven't noticed any difference. But I'm not going after big trees or processing a crap ton of wood so YMMV. It goes through wood just fine. I've cut up a few trees that were a little smaller than the blade.

When you think about run time keep in mind that it's only killing the battery when it's running. Finger off the trigger and it's not running. So 4 hours of work you should still have plenty of power. You won't actually be running the chainsaw for the whole 4 hours. Again I only work with it a couple hours at a time but I don't think I've ever been lower than 3/4 charge.

It seems to be built well enough but mine started leaking chain oil from somewhere. I haven't tried to figure out why yet.

No gas... Quiet... Very little maintenance. Always ready to go...

I can charge it in my truck with the power inverter. Everything I need to run the chainsaw is always in my truck not stops anywhere.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Cordless chainsaws [Re: coyotebc] #1046272 04/14/20 02:26 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I have wondered about them as well. Thanks for your insight lazi. wink

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Cordless chainsaws [Re: lazi] #1046280 04/14/20 03:45 AM
coyotebc Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by lazi
I picked up the Echo 58V last year to help clean up the land I bought. That thing is a little beast! My dad has a Stihl that's the same size. I haven't noticed any difference. But I'm not going after big trees or processing a crap ton of wood so YMMV. It goes through wood just fine. I've cut up a few trees that were a little smaller than the blade.

When you think about run time keep in mind that it's only killing the battery when it's running. Finger off the trigger and it's not running. So 4 hours of work you should still have plenty of power. You won't actually be running the chainsaw for the whole 4 hours. Again I only work with it a couple hours at a time but I don't think I've ever been lower than 3/4 charge.

It seems to be built well enough but mine started leaking chain oil from somewhere. I haven't tried to figure out why yet.

No gas... Quiet... Very little maintenance. Always ready to go...

I can charge it in my truck with the power inverter. Everything I need to run the chainsaw is always in my truck not stops anywhere.

Thanks
I will still have my old Stilh (16 inch bar) and an even older McCullough with a 22 inch bar for the bigger stuff.
This would primarily be a truck/camp saw.
Years ago I had a little homelite chainsaw with a 12 inch blade for 4x4'ing, I never should have gotten rid of it

Re: Cordless chainsaws [Re: coyotebc] #1046281 04/14/20 06:29 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
The only non-gas saws that I have are a few electric saws of various lengths.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: Cordless chainsaws [Re: coyotebc] #1046283 04/14/20 11:05 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
When Mom and Dad did the RV thing (wintering a couple years in Florida anda couple in Texas) dad had a 14 (I think) inch electric chainsaw and just loved it. It worked, for him, just as good as a gas one.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 04/14/20 10:23 PM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Cordless chainsaws [Re: coyotebc] #1046292 04/14/20 04:06 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I just hook up my 2,000 watt power inverter to my battery and go to it. My 14" and 10" pole saws work just fine.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: Cordless chainsaws [Re: coyotebc] #1046316 04/15/20 12:16 AM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
The area around my property got hit by a bad tornado a few months ago. News is saying it got hit again over the weekend. The last time it hit I just had a few trees down. About a mile before me it looked like somebody just walked down the road and push every tree right over.
About a mile up the road from me it looked like somebody rolled a giant bowlings ball through the woods. It was pretty crazy.

I have no idea what to expect when I get there but the little Echo may be getting a serious workout. With all this stuff going on I think I will still look at a corded chain saw that can live permenantly in the truck and plug straight to the inverter. I also toyed with the idea of getting a way more powerful gas chainsaw to start on the handful of big trees that I have down around the property.

On the plus side... Somebody's metal siding landed on my property. I guess it's mine now lol. If everything looks okay I may go find that siding and build some sort of hunting blind if it's not in too bad of shape.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Cordless chainsaws [Re: Private Klink] #1046317 04/15/20 02:17 AM
coyotebc Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Private Klink
I just hook up my 2,000 watt power inverter to my battery and go to it. My 14" and 10" pole saws work just fine.

Some of them are quite good, however I am looking for a small cordless

Re: Cordless chainsaws [Re: lazi] #1046318 04/15/20 02:19 AM
coyotebc Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by lazi
The area around my property got hit by a bad tornado a few months ago. News is saying it got hit again over the weekend. The last time it hit I just had a few trees down. About a mile before me it looked like somebody just walked down the road and push every tree right over.
About a mile up the road from me it looked like somebody rolled a giant bowlings ball through the woods. It was pretty crazy.

I have no idea what to expect when I get there but the little Echo may be getting a serious workout. With all this stuff going on I think I will still look at a corded chain saw that can live permenantly in the truck and plug straight to the inverter. I also toyed with the idea of getting a way more powerful gas chainsaw to start on the handful of big trees that I have down around the property.

On the plus side... Somebody's metal siding landed on my property. I guess it's mine now lol. If everything looks okay I may go find that siding and build some sort of hunting blind if it's not in too bad of shape.

Like I said I still have my 2 gas chainsaws, so I may wait a while and see if they ever drop In price

Re: Cordless chainsaws [Re: coyotebc] #1046331 04/15/20 09:25 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I am glad you are safe lazi. SO sorry for all the loss of life in that terrible storm.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Cordless chainsaws [Re: coyotebc] #1046426 04/17/20 07:56 PM
coyotebc Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Yes 2020 has not been a great year, hopefully everyone stays save