header

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1046899 - 01/21/17 02:10 AM Surefire XC-1 Weapon Light
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Nation Wide
I decided to switch up my daily carry pistol and changed a few things up.

Part of what I wanted was a weapon light on a Compact pistol specifically a Glock 19. I also wanted to be able to carry AIWB when I wanted/needed to.

I already have a Surefire X-300 and I usually use it on a full sized pistol. Its rocks solid and works well. The problem with the fullsize light is carrying appendix it wouldn't work as well while sitting, driving etc.

Looking at pistol lights that are in the small sizes, it's pretty slim pickings. I decided to try a Surefire XC-1. Here are the factory specs.

Specifications

Max Output -- White Light 200 lumens
Tactical Runtime** 1.5 hours
Length 2.375 inches
Bezel Diameter .375inches
Weight w/Batteries 1.6 ounces
Batteries 1 AAA

*Runtime until output drops below 10% of maximum output

It looks good on paper the biggest drawback is the price. But it;s really the only one in the game for this size of light that has readily available holsters. I am cheap but I still spent 2 bills on this light.

Factory packaging

Side by side with a Surefire X-300. It is way smaller.

Top view

Front view mounted on the pistol. The picture is a little deceiving. It mounts and is centered equally on the pistol.

Final picture is a side view mounted on the pistol. It doesn't protrude past the barrel. Hopefully, this will allow the lens to stay cleaner when shooting.

I don't really notice the weight on the pistol and it doesn't seem to change the handling at all.

The controls are similar to the x300 series. There is a paddle on each side of the trigger guard and you push down on either one for momentary activation. It's pretty easy with either hand.

I am not in love with the constant on switch. It's a crossbar system that only activates from the left side of the light. There also isn't a positive click when it turns on. That isn't a deal killer for me. I usually shoot two handed and if I am going to have a light on constantly it is probably going to be a two-handed deployment.

The light is only 200 lumen. I remember when a 60 lumen incandescent bulb was the pinnacle of lighting so I'm not super hung up on the numbers. It is a very wide flood beam with no hot spot. Inside my house, it lights the whole room and does a darned good job without being overpowering and I can still see my night sights.

Outside its good for closer distances. It lit up my entire backyard and I have zero worries about not being able to see a threat and identify a weapon in some ones hand. I played around a bit and I would feel very confident that it would function in that capacity out to 25 yards. I played around at 30yards and it was ok. Past that its diminishing returns. You can see, but the wide flood beam doesn't really throw enough light down range.

I compared it to a 250 lumen flashlight with a narrower beam and a 300 lumen flashlight inside. It was brighter than the 300 lumen light and a bit dimmer than the 250 lumen light with a tighter beam.

My overall impression is pretty positive so far. The controls are close enough to what I am used to for monetary and I have no doubt if I need it in a high stress situation I would be able to use it without an issue. The constant switch is going to take a little bit of getting used to.

I really like that it doesn't completely wash out the night sights. it gives me the opportunity to light something up and move without losing my sights/target picture.

The fact that it runs off of AAA batteries is a plus because I can get them darned near anywhere. The battery compartment is threaded and has an o-ring. It should be pretty water resistant. You can use a dime to unscrew the battery plug if you don't have a screwdriver handy.

I am not in love with the mounting screw. I would rather be able to take the light off quicky, like the X-300 and X-300 UA. That isn't a deal breaker but it would be nice. As it stands if you have a dime you can remove or attach it. A bonus is you can change the battery without removing the light from the gun.

So far I like it. I waited until the light came in to order a holster. I didn't want to spend the cash for a very specific holster if I got the light and hated it. I ordered a G-code Incog Shadow eclipse and hopefully, it will be here next week and I can run it through the paces as a system.

If the light holds up to the rigors of shooting It is probably a keeper. I have heard of problems with the lithium battery causing weird/intermittent operation after several hundred rounds. According to internet lore, standard batteries don't tend to have the same problems.

JYD #113

Everyday I don't train, someone else does, and they are training to defeat me

#1046903 - 01/21/17 08:56 AM Re: Surefire XC-1 Weapon Light [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: South Carolina Y'all
Did you see any problems with the battery cap. A few on-line reviews stated that it was poorly constructed and could be easily stripped out.

Also there was mention of the "O" ring cracking after a few months, and that when tightening the light to the weapon rail "it doesn't point directly straight, it points downwards." The reviewer didn't mention what weapon model he experienced this problem with, but accompanying pictured with this review indicated a Glock.

#1046908 - 01/21/17 12:41 PM Re: Surefire XC-1 Weapon Light [Re: MonkeyBomb]
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I had heard the same thing about the battery cap. Unless you go full Magilla Gorilla on the battery cap it isn't going to strip out. It is a thread aluminum cap into an aluminum body so If you think you need to torque it down to 100ft pounds you could strip it. It looks like they designed a cap to help prevent that.

I get the distinct impression this light was built specifically for the Glock 19 and works well on the equivalent compact models from S&W and Springfield. I don't think it was really made for a subcompact.

The light mounts and lights inline with the frame/barrel on the G-19 for the usable distances the light was designed for.

I think the reports of misalignment is from people mounting on something it wasn't made for. In their defense, surefire really doesn't make it known that this is a niche light.

The instructional pamphlet mentions specifically how to mount eh light and install the battery and it falls in line with most instructions, I have seen from other manufacturers such as Aimpoint, Eotech and Trijicon. People like to put way too much torque on firearms scews than they really need.
JYD #113

#1046912 - 01/21/17 02:50 PM Re: Surefire XC-1 Weapon Light [Re: MonkeyBomb]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
Great review from someone who knows that of which they speak. But as you say it would be nice if it was about a hundred bucks or so less expensive.
Countin the days till Retirement! wink JYD#105

#1046916 - 01/21/17 05:11 PM Re: Surefire XC-1 Weapon Light [Re: MonkeyBomb]
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: father of waters
As I sort of scanned some info on this light I kept noticing how perfect this light looked on the G19. I figured it had to be made specifically for the G19 even though no information ever said it was. But it makes since to build something for specifically a model that is extremely popular. They should sell plenty of lights even at $200 a pop.

Looks like a good purchase to me.
JYD #82 yup...

#1046919 - 01/21/17 06:38 PM Re: Surefire XC-1 Weapon Light [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Lord Mortdecai Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
Spectacular table top review. Thank you for taking time to prepare it.

The size of the light is outstanding.

Please continue to post reviews as you use the light.
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1046920 - 01/21/17 06:43 PM Re: Surefire XC-1 Weapon Light [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Junk Yard Dog

My thoughts regarding lumens....

I actually prefer less in a handgun mounted light. My use for a handgun (I'm not chasing perps down dark alleys) means 10 yards or less. Most likely my HG would be used in my house. I have a couple of 500 lumen lights and the back splash is blinding. The higher lumens are great on a rifle, but I'll take a broad throw low lumen WML for a handgun.

I too remember 60L incandescent. In fact I recently sold my last 6P.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1046921 - 01/21/17 06:51 PM Re: Surefire XC-1 Weapon Light [Re: MonkeyBomb]
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog

That's funny. the 6p and 6r were exactly what I was thinking of when I made that comment. I still have one sitting on my workbench.
JYD #113

#1046922 - 01/21/17 07:46 PM Re: Surefire XC-1 Weapon Light [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Junk Yard Dog

They were TOP O' THE LINE back when they first came out. Compared to today's lights ....they are lacking, haha.

#1046925 - 01/22/17 12:56 AM Re: Surefire XC-1 Weapon Light [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: South Carolina Y'all
MB, the reason I was so interested in your review is because the wife has been asking me what I want for my upcoming birthday...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >