header

Topic Options
#1049086 - 05/15/17 02:38 PM Survival Kit Diet
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
I'm tired of hauling a 42# "bail out bag" (or "bug out bag" if you prefer) around. Its time for BOB to go on a diet.

The three areas that cause weight issues are:

1) Durability vs Lightweight. E.g. a siltarp is light, but a goretex bivvy bag is durable.

2) Consumables. E.g. lots of ammo and food.

3) Redundancy. E.g. if one way to purify water is good 1242 ways is great!

So what is the solution? Go light and hope your ziplock bag with rubber band shoulder straps holds up as a bug out bag while you use your one round of 22 ammo to kill something to eat whilst simultaneously hoping those 2 iodine H20 tabs will last you through the week...or...?

Do any of you carry CLOTHES of any kind in your kits? I've always kept clothing in my bag because it's "wearable shelter". However, I want to trim about 10 pounds off the kit weight, and am wondering if a set of Polypro along with wool gloves / hat / socks is overkill.
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1049087 - 05/15/17 02:39 PM Re: Survival Kit Diet [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Also, those of you who are prior military and used USGI Bivvy bags...what is your impression?

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1049107 - 05/16/17 03:50 PM Re: Survival Kit Diet [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I guess I'll just buy a wheelbarrow.

#1049138 - 05/18/17 08:58 AM Re: Survival Kit Diet [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: South Carolina Y'all
You could leave your firearm(s) and ammo at home and wear a lightweight "Gun Free Zone" sign on your BOB bag.

#1049139 - 05/18/17 09:40 AM Re: Survival Kit Diet [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
22MAG firearm maybe. The trick is to be NOT seen or heard. And a 22mag will put a hurt on someone out to a pretty fair distance. Of course you could always go for the cloak of invisibility. wink

I will try and come up with something intelligent today at the grandkids and post this evening.
JYD#105

#1049142 - 05/18/17 11:34 AM Re: Survival Kit Diet [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I have a CZ 455 Stainless 22Mag.

Honestly, I'm hoping Congress will pass the Hearing Protection Act, because I'd like to equip my Ruger 10/22 Takedown with a suppressor.

#1049143 - 05/18/17 11:35 AM Re: Survival Kit Diet [Re: Mastiff]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: Mastiff
You could leave your firearm(s) and ammo at home and wear a lightweight "Gun Free Zone" sign on your BOB bag.

You're thinking outside of the box, but it would probably end up putting me in a box (coffin) laugh

#1049147 - 05/18/17 12:20 PM Re: Survival Kit Diet [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Private Klink Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: S.W. Missouri
Address the basics first; water, fire, shelter, and food.

A couple of quart size plastic bags and some MP-1 tablets, along with a metal canteen and cup with cover will address the water problem.

A butane lighter, magnesium fire-starter, and plastic container of matches, along with some tinder (dryer lint, PJ cotton balls, and fatwood will handle fire starting.

A couple of heat-sheets or mylar survival blankets, and some plastic sheeting (like painters' drop-cloth at WalMart) will cover shelter.

Survival ration bars, energy/granola bars, bags with fruits and nuts, boulion packets, cup-o-soups, ramen noodles, foil packets of tuna, crackers...regular and snack-type with peanut butter, etc., powdered drink mixes such as Tang or Gatorade, instant coffee and tea bags will keep you fed.

A lightweight fleece jacket and pants will help keep you warm without much weight.

Don't forget toilet paper, soap and a towel or paper towels, and hand sanitizer. Those and a toothbrush and toothpaste will keep you feeling like a human being.

Just about everything listed here is available at WalMart or similar stores. wink
Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!

#1049150 - 05/18/17 08:37 PM Re: Survival Kit Diet [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
Originally Posted By: Architect
I have a CZ 455 Stainless 22Mag.

Honestly, I'm hoping Congress will pass the Hearing Protection Act, because I'd like to equip my Ruger 10/22 Takedown with a suppressor.

Have you heard/seen the integral barrel/suppressor from Ruger for the 10/22 takedown.
JYD#105

#1049169 - 05/19/17 03:51 PM Re: Survival Kit Diet [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I had an integral suppressor Mk2 Ruger on a Form 3 that I never converted to a Form 4 for possession (had my Class 3 friend get a S&H Mark 2 in for me, but he decided to keep it).