header

Topic Options
#1049304 - 05/28/17 04:41 PM Hammock Cocoon
MonkeyBomb Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Nation Wide
I have an affinity for some snug pack products. I live in a colder climate that at time can have pretty severe weather.

I tend to keep a few Snug Pack jungle blankets in my vehicles for winter weather. They aren't the warmest but they are very similar to a poncho liner and they pack up to a grapefruit sized package. So it's easy to keep 3 off them under the back seat of the truck and a few in the trunk of the wife's sedan.

They have a product called a hammock cocoon that is basically an under quilt and over blanket for a hammock. It's a little smaller than any sleeping bag that I normally would use.

I got one several weeks ago, and last night was a decent night to try it out and see how well it actually does.

I set up my El Cheapo hammock and stretched out a 12 ft Noahs tarp as a rain fly. It was cool and raining all day and I wanted to try and set up a tarp and then hammock to see how easy my current set up was to deal with in rainy weather. Surprisingly it was faster and easier than I had planned.

It was 40 degrees when I jumped in the hammock and humidity was 82% which is high for here. The ground was still damp and there wasn't much of a wind. It was only supposed to drop to 36 degrees by morning so not too bad.

I decided not to use a sleeping pad nor did I use a sleeping bag. I did however, use one of my jungle blankets over the top of me.

The ends of the hammock cocoon have openings to put your hammock through, so air can flow through as well. Which is nice if you have it zipped all the way up and want to actually breathe wink.

I was wearing a t-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes and a thin non-wind blocking 200 weight polar fleece jacket.

I was surprised by how warm it got almost immediately upon zipping myself into the bag. As the temperature dropped a but it was very comfortable.

I did get a couple of cool spots under my hips and butt. Otherwise, I was comfortably warm all night.

I am slightly claustrophobic but it didn't bother me being zipped into a double hammock. There was enough space that nothing was touching my face so it didn't bother me.

If I were going to do this again I would use at least a thin sleeping pad and I would have been even warmer. As it was I was just fine. I'm not sure how well the minimalist setup would be in colder weather or if the wind had been howling.

It definitely was warmer and more comfortable than the average setup without an under quilt.

I wouldn't have much of an issue with this as an emergency setup to keep in my rig. While it's definitely not an ultra light setup. It's small enough to strap to the bottom of my get home pack and stay comfortable during moderate weather.

I could also see, using it as a warm weather sleeping bag if you had to spend the night on the ground.

If I can comfortably sleep in it at 40 degrees during damp weather its a win.
JYD #113

Everyday I don't train, someone else does, and they are training to defeat me

#1049333 - 05/30/17 11:48 AM Re: Hammock Cocoon [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Junk Yard Dog

I decided to give it another try since my kid was bugging me to spend the night outside.

This time it was a little warmer. 47 degrees and raining when I hopped in the hammock. I used a sleeping pad. The pad made a huge difference. It was too warm with an over blanket, and I left the cocoon partially unzipped most of the night.

If you can find them on sale it's worth it. I paid a whole lot less than I see them for lately. If the price comes down i will probably pick up one for the wife and kid.
JYD #113

#1049340 - 05/31/17 08:28 AM Re: Hammock Cocoon [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Earth
MB,
Your post interests me greatly, because I've been pondering the size and weight of "sleeping gear" I keep in our emergency backpacks. Currently, our packs have:

+ Mylar Space Blanket - for ground sheet or heat reflector
+ USGI Patrol Bag (green MSS bag)
+ USGI Gortex Bivvy Bag (woodland MSS outer bag)
+ USGI Poncho - for basha

This makes a very comfortable setup (especially if you pile up leaf litter or pine needles under the ground cloth), but it is HEAVY AND BULKY for an emergency backpack. I view these items as "durables" that may be called upon to last a long time. However, I would like to lighten our loads. I've tried replacing the patrol bag with a USGI woobie, but the weight/size savings was surprisingly minimal.
JYD #123

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

#1049341 - 05/31/17 08:32 AM Re: Hammock Cocoon [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Earth
As a side, everything I've read about hammocks indicates they are not well suited to extreme cold weather usage. The design is very popular in tropical / sub-tropical regions and is attributed with imparting certain physical attributes to peoples native to a particular region in Mexico. Apparently, the hammock's usage is so profound, in the Yucatan Pen it shapes the physiology of the inhabitants.
JYD #123

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

#1049355 - 06/01/17 01:14 PM Re: Hammock Cocoon [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Junk Yard Dog

A hammock can be made to work in the cold but it's a whole lot of weight to lug around.

I like to use a hammock to camp in the less severe weather. I am getting old and I hate waking up hurting for an hour or so after sleeping on the ground.

I don't know that this setup will ever be a great set up to hump out on your back but in a pinch it will do the trick. I will likely keep this setup in the toolbox in the bed of the truck.

It will probably get some decent use this summer in the high country through the summer and whats left of spring.
JYD #113