header

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1049371 - 06/02/17 11:23 AM Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have!
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Earth
I'm not a long range shooter, but I've been wanting an accurate semi-auto "multi purpose" rifle for a while (at least the last twelve months). I'm thinking of some sort of AR capable of MOA (max) 3/4 MOA (preferred) 1/2 MOA (awesome!) accuracy.

What do you all have for this purpose? Post some pictures!

Also...I'd like to see your optic choices.

Ole Jack says to downshift to simple livin'.

#1049373 - 06/02/17 04:04 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
MonkeyBomb Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Nation Wide
My long range shooter is a little different than most. Not necessarily your criteria since its a bolt gun but it is a long range beast.

I Bought a Remington 700 LTR DM PSS a bit over 20 years ago. I got a package and it nearly mirrored the M-24 stock system minus a few features.

It came in a .308 Win on the 700 series short-action receiver with a 20-inch fluted barrel. With the HS Precision stock, it weighs in at 7.5 pounds.

Badger Ordnance steel rings and one-piece mounts and a Leupold Mark III with a 30mm tube and 3.5X to 10X power magnification. (at least I think it's a Mark 3) It also sports a rototilt bipod and a healthy quick adjust sling bumps the weight up to right around 10.5lbs.

Mine also has a detachable box magazine. Between the shorter fluted barrel and the box magazine, it makes it an odd duck for a precision rifle.

I have a fitted pelican case for the rifle and a Dewy rod.

This thing absolutely rocks as a system and I have changed almost nothing since I bought it. It is freakishly accurate and the shorter barrel doesn't hamper it in any way. It makes it a little handier when not shooting from a braced or rest.

This is a stock photo, not mine but its close enough minus the detachable mag and bipod.

JYD #113 Everyday I don't train, someone else does, and they are training to defeat me

#1049374 - 06/02/17 09:06 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia

Steyr SSG69, it sits in a MacMillian stock and since that pic was taken it has new bottom metal work and a Leupold 6.5-20 MkIV.

All that said I add a bipod to my Sako AII .308 and I will be ruining most critter's day (not matter what kind) well out beyond normal ranges when I do MY part.

Edited by Andy the Aussie (06/02/17 09:32 PM)

#1049377 - 06/03/17 03:34 AM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
I USED to have a Remington 700 VLS 308. According to the custom shop it is EXACTLY like the (Then at least) "Police" package rifle except it was a laminated stock, not synthetic. Using surplus Argentine (I think) ammo and not trying I got 1 MOA at 100 meters. With better ammo and actually trying for small groups I am VERY satisfied that it would have done a lot better. Oh and I had a Tasco "Sniper" scope on it.
is (almost) always in. smile wink JYD#105

#1049386 - 06/03/17 05:56 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

MB & Andy,
NICE rifles!

I've owned a couple of LR bolt guns (700 PSS, 700 AAC in a HS Precision Stock, 700 Sendero in 300WM, etc). Ultimately, I didn't have the patience to capitalize on these rifles.

#1049387 - 06/03/17 06:02 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Here's my current "accuracy based" AR....

Here are the specs:

BCM Upper
BCM BCG & Gunfighter Ambi Charging Handle
Noveske 16" Stainless Recon Barrel (1/7 PT with Noveske's NMm0 chambering)
Geissele SMR Mk8 13" Free Float
Troy (front / rear) Sights

BCM Lower
LaRue MBT Trigger
LMT SOPMOD Gen 2 Stock
BCM Gunfighter Grip

Trijicon ACOG TA31
LaRue LT622 SDO-A Mount

A couple of upgrades I'd consider would be:

4-12x Optic
Geissele SSA-E Trigger

#1049389 - 06/03/17 10:57 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Junk Yard Dog

I have an accurate AR I just don't consider it long range. 223/5.56. I have never messed with it beyond 300 but I know I could probably put a few out there to 500 with it.

A Franken build from Colt and BCM parts on a Spikes lower that I had laying around. I'm actually pretty proud of the build. I already had the barrel and bolt group. Everything else cost me less than $175 bucks. Not counting the optics. But I paid 1/2 price for that too. I was a very nice sub MOA budget build with quality parts.

JYD #113 Everyday I don't train, someone else does, and they are training to defeat me

#1049396 - 06/04/17 09:19 AM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

MB & Andy
What are your Bolt Gun cleaning regimens, and do you keep a log book?

#1049397 - 06/04/17 09:21 AM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

My interest in actual LR precision is growing. My range includes 400 and 500 yard bays. I wouldn't be interested in shooting further than 500 ... just don't think my eyesight / desire would permit it.

This has me thinking of a potential BA.

#1049398 - 06/04/17 09:22 AM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: SkunkHunter]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: SkunkHunter
I USED to have a Remington 700 VLS 308. According to the custom shop it is EXACTLY like the (Then at least) "Police" package rifle except it was a laminated stock, not synthetic. Using surplus Argentine (I think) ammo and not trying I got 1 MOA at 100 meters. With better ammo and actually trying for small groups I am VERY satisfied that it would have done a lot better. Oh and I had a Tasco "Sniper" scope on it.

Randy,
What is the longest range at which you've tested it?

#1049399 - 06/04/17 10:06 AM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Junk Yard Dog

I just shot it at 100 meters and then put it up. As I said I was using MIL Surp ammo. I am sure with the good stuff and IF I really tried it would have done a lot better. I eventually sold it.

#1049406 - 06/04/17 02:48 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
rth548 Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Western NC
I took my Ruger American 22-250 to the range the other day, and was hitting 1 inch circles at 100 yards with very little effort. I'm really impressed, especially for a $450 gun.

I put three consecutive shots in a one inch circle to qualify to shoot on the 250 yard range, but I didn't have the guts to try that one.

Once the barrel heated up, it was up to about 1 1/2-2 inches at 100 yards, but its not a target gun, it's a hunting rifle. It'll still kill a coyote at that range.

Resident Redneck
JYD #117

#1049407 - 06/04/17 03:50 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I typically get 1" or less from lightweight AR15s until the barrel heats up. Heck, last weekend I was shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yards with WOLF AMMO and a 1x Aimpoint RDS thru my Colt 6920 with a KAC RAS mounted! I used my range bag as a rest.

The accuracy standards have changed - dramatically. I think the past 10 years has made precision truly precise.

A friend shoots high power, etc. He likes a 3/8" gun but has to work up his loads.

A coworker has a DPMS (stainless heavy barrel) that he can squeeze 3/4" out of (with handloads).

These guys use 3 shot groups.

Noveske said they prefer 5 or 10 round tests.

#1049408 - 06/04/17 03:54 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I didn't want to sound like a butthead. I'm just amazed at how mechanically precise guns are now (compared to 10 years ago).

Ammo selection has an enormous impact.

Those who have the patience and equipment to work up gun specific loads really squeeze every bit of accuracy out of the rifle. The DPMS coworker has a Remington 700 in 6mm with a Leupold 12x on it. He can one-hole that rifle with handloads at 100 yards. I've seen it happen.

#1049409 - 06/04/17 03:59 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: SkunkHunter]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: SkunkHunter
I just shot it at 100 meters and then put it up. As I said I was using MIL Surp ammo. I am sure with the good stuff and IF I really tried it would have done a lot better. I eventually sold it.

I'll need to stop using cheap ammo if I want to get serious about accuracy. I typically train with Wolf which is about 10% of the quality of MilSurp, haha.

I've set up a log-book for the Noveske barrel. I'll only use match grade ammo (like Federal GMM) or Mk262.

#1049410 - 06/04/17 05:12 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Junk Yard Dog

The stuff I was using was I THINK 60 something vintage. I shot it during the late 90's. Oh and did I mention it was in cardboard boxes. It was actually I think, pretty good ammo for what I paid for it and would have worked for any Social or UNsocial work out to probably a couple hundred yards or more without any problems. Like I said, I wasn't really trying for small groups that much, just sighting it in. I think I only put MAYBE 50 rounds through it in all the years I had it. Oh and it weighed almost 10 pounds DRY WEIGHT without a scope!

#1049413 - 06/04/17 05:52 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia
My Sako (action only the rest is replacement)hunting rifle will put three round of my handloads into one hole at 100yds each time I want to sit down and do it (165gn Nosler Ballistic Tip over ADI AR2208 doing @2590FPS, the projectiles are from around 1989/90 and the powder is dated 1985 wink ). My Weatherby in .300Win (Vanguard so it is a Howa) from 1983 will put my first go handloads into around .75 but there is room for improvement there (180 Nosler Ballistic Tip over AR2213SC doing @2900FPS). Heavy barrels make for steadier shooting from a rest and allow for better heat displacement (and perhaps harmonics)and as such consistency as the no of rounds fired increases. But they are a pig to carry. As I noted above, my Sako with a bipod would actually accomplish about 80% of my precision shooting needs wink

Edited by Andy the Aussie (06/04/17 05:59 PM)

#1049418 - 06/05/17 12:09 AM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Junk Yard Dog

I kept a log book and targets on my bolt gun for many years. I cleaned it before putting it away.

I stopped keeping a log book for it after I no longer needed the resume.

I only shot Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr BTHP from it. It liked those the best and they are consistent. I used to buy them by the case just to keep the lot numbers the same and prevent having to re zero.

#1049638 - Yesterday at 09:37 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
rth548 Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Western NC
I have a Ruger American 22-250 that I shot a 3 shot group I could cover with a nickel (didn't have a dime) from 100 yards. They weren't touching but they were close. And I haven't shot it much yet, only a couple boxes worth.

Resident Redneck
JYD #117

#1049640 - Yesterday at 11:34 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
lazi Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: father of waters
I picked up a CZ 550 "Tacticool" in .308 a while back. It has the Boyds Pistol grip stock and a 25.6" heavy barrel. I stuck a Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x56 scope on it.

I still need to get a decent bipod for it. I was thinking of getting a Atlas but that's a bit steep. I might end up with a Harris or Altas knockoff.

I got some decent groups sighting it in but I've been waiting the bipod to see what I can really do with it. It's a bit too hot these days to hit the range so maybe in a few months I'll have some groups to report.
JYD #82 yup...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >