header

Topic Options
#1049528 - 06/18/17 08:07 AM Nesmuk le or sykco skinner?
J_MCrane Offline
Pound Puppy

Loc: Alberta Canada
Providing you could find both, which one would you choose to be your dedicated hunting knife and why? The fun is on the quest.

#1049537 - 06/19/17 07:06 AM Re: Nesmuk le or sykco skinner? [Re: J_MCrane]
banana-clip Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Georgia
Scrapyard has a skinner out? I have the Busse Muk and its not a good hunting knife IMO. One of the best hunting knives I've ever owned was a Buck 119 and Old Timer Sharpfinger, so far Busse hasn't came out with a decent knife for hunting. You can make them work, but they are just too thick to be able to skin an animal easily.

**** Bring on the Street Scrapper 4 LE ****

**** JYD #85 ****

#1049543 - 06/19/17 10:26 AM Re: Nesmuk le or sykco skinner? [Re: J_MCrane]
Ray Settanta Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: New England, USA
Here is the skinner:

http://www.scrapyardknives.com/no-longer-available-sykco-skinner/

I don't have it but I do have the Muk and a 411. All three knives have about the same thickness-3/16". I have not used my Muk for anything so I can't help you there. I agree with you about the Sharpfinger. One of the best skinning knives made. The original USA made, not the Chinese one.
JYD #182

#1049550 - 06/19/17 10:05 PM Re: Nesmuk le or sykco skinner? [Re: J_MCrane]
Junk Yard Dog

Thanks Ray, I agree the USA made Sharpfinger can't be beat for a hunting/skinning knife. An effective skinning knife should be thin, not 1/4" thick, of course you can make it work, but there are much better options.

**** JYD #85 ****

#1049567 - 06/21/17 02:42 AM Re: Nesmuk le or sykco skinner? [Re: banana-clip]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia
Originally Posted By: banana-clip
Busse hasn't came out with a decent knife for hunting. You can make them work, but they are just too thick to be able to skin an animal easily.
.... my B4 would disagree profusely with this statement. This season alone I did a bunch of deer. In the time I have had it now it has processed well into triple figures and it is difficult to fault. My HRLM has done a great deal as well and I find it difficult to fault either though they are different designs.

#1049568 - 06/21/17 04:39 AM Re: Nesmuk le or sykco skinner? [Re: J_MCrane]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
Don't have either one, but the Scarpivore and the Swamp warden do a pretty nice job of it.
Countin the days till Retirement! wink JYD#105

#1049571 - 06/21/17 01:27 PM Re: Nesmuk le or sykco skinner? [Re: SkunkHunter]
Private Klink Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: S.W. Missouri
I agree with you Randy. wink
Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!

#1049573 - 06/21/17 05:58 PM Re: Nesmuk le or sykco skinner? [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: Andy the Aussie
Originally Posted By: banana-clip
Busse hasn't came out with a decent knife for hunting. You can make them work, but they are just too thick to be able to skin an animal easily.
.... my B4 would disagree profusely with this statement. This season alone I did a bunch of deer. In the time I have had it now it has processed well into triple figures and it is difficult to fault. My HRLM has done a great deal as well and I find it difficult to fault either though they are different designs.

Thats awesome they work well for you skinning deer. Some of them just seemed too thick for me, I guess since I grew up using small thin knives like the old timers and schrades. Im sure the HRLM would do a good job at skinning too. I do like the bird dog le for cutting up meat, so Im sure that would do a good job as well.

**** JYD #85 ****

#1049578 - 06/22/17 10:00 AM Re: Nesmuk le or sykco skinner? [Re: banana-clip]
Private Klink Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: S.W. Missouri
I have used a Buck Vanguard on deer quite successfully, but the real surprise was the Outdoors Edge; the gut-hook helped peel the skin like a zipper, and the blade is really sharp! shocked Really a good knife for around $50.00.
Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!

#1049583 - 06/23/17 01:56 AM Re: Nesmuk le or sykco skinner? [Re: J_MCrane]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia
I think the B4 (Anorexic) is only .155 so it is not exactly a chunky blade mate.