Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 137 of 271 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 270 271
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1018488 02/15/15 08:36 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
If I do anything to my Box Stock Ar15A3 heavy barrel carbine (Model #6721 I THINK), I am wanting to do the following.

1. Add BUIS to take the place of the factory detachable carry handle/rear sight. Which ones should I look at.
2. Replace the factory hand guard for a new one with picatinny rails.
3. Add a vertical fore grip to the new hand guard.
4. Add a light to the rail or get one built into the fore grip.

Now like I said, this is a stock Colt carbine. What else should I consider/do to make it as dependable as it can be? I don't want flash/fancy gimmicks, just dependable functionality.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/15/15 09:03 AM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1018501 02/15/15 01:23 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
The 870 has a special finish not listed anyplace on the remington web site
It has an extended mag tube, ghost rings, Knox nrs spec ops stock.
The finish looks hammered and then it's coated in this strange gray&black coating. Reminds me of the coating you see on high performance car parts like brakes & engine components

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: SkunkHunter] #1018502 02/15/15 01:40 PM
El CacaFuego Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
If I do anything to my Box Stock Ar15A3 heavy barrel carbine (Model #6721 I THINK), I am wanting to do the following.

1. Add BUIS to take the place of the factory detachable carry handle/rear sight. Which ones should I look at.
2. Replace the factory hand guard for a new one with picatinny rails.
3. Add a vertical fore grip to the new hand guard.
4. Add a light to the rail or get one built into the fore grip.

Now like I said, this is a stock Colt carbine. What else should I consider/do to make it as dependable as it can be? I don't want flash/fancy gimmicks, just dependable functionality.

2, 3, and 4. Unless you're adding an optic, having folding BUIS won't do much for you except add precious seconds to deploying your rifle. But if there is a surefire (pun intended) way to enhance a bone stock rifle, it is adding a light and a way to muscle the weapon around. Since you're mounting a light, not a laser, you don't need a pricey rail kit. Even a cheap set of Tapcos or other Poly rail replacements would suit that purpose fine. Where you want to spend the coin is on the light. Don't cheap out, otherwise you'll get a light that goes dead when you need it. I am very partial to my Streamlight products, they have all proven very solid and easily adaptable to my weapons. My 5.56 AK is wearing a Streamlight PolyTac mounted in a scope ring, works perfectly, and is simple to employ. I've used Surefires before, but had issues with my old switch. As far as I know that issue has been resolved in recent iterations, however. There are some good options out there for relatively inexpensive, but Caveat Emptor if you buy it from CtD... it's all airsoft garbage IMNSHO

"Teaching is not showing others new things, but reminding them that they know as well as you."

JYD #118
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: SkunkHunter] #1018503 02/15/15 01:45 PM
El CacaFuego Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Kinda thinking a little about upgrading my ar15a3 and or pulling the trigger on a DPMS .308 evil assault rifle, but I'm not really sure I want to spend close to a grand when there are so many other things we could use. Box stock from Wally world, are the DPMS rifles any good?

Like any other AR manufacturer, I've heard good, and I've heard bad. I would be interested in a DPMS rifle myself if I had enough interest in getting an AR, but I doubt I ever will personally, though. I just can't afford to feed a second .308 right now, lol.

"Teaching is not showing others new things, but reminding them that they know as well as you."

JYD #118
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1018504 02/15/15 01:46 PM
El CacaFuego Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Spider-Pig
Oh yeah, nice one ECF! I love seven-six-two rifles! I guess now I need to get an M1A!

Everybody needs an M14!

JYD #118
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1018505 02/15/15 01:52 PM
MonkeyBomb Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
The carry handle is fine unless you want to add a red dot sight.

Then bang for the buck it's hard to beat the MagPul sights. I have a regular front sight on my working gun with a rear folding Troy battlesight. The only reason I got the battle sight was that I got a screaming deal on it around the holidays. Otherwise I wouldn't have shucked out $110 bucks for a rear sight.

A good light is definitely nice to have.

I will say if you want a rail for the handguard Look around. The biggest issue I see with the cheaper ones is they are heavy.

On my work gun I went simple. A MagPul MOE handguard Mine was $26 bucks and then added a rail and a light mount. Magpul has the MLOK MOE guards out now so you don't need the rail you can just attach the light mount and save cash and a little weight.

I tried a fore grip and I wanted to like them but I can't stand them and I gave mine away. It just didn't fit my style of grip and got in my way. On a semi-auto it wasn't worth the hassle.

For me I prefer simple and light. The less weight you have to hold up and hump around you will be faster, more accurate and less fatigued. I'm not worried about ultra light I usually get a standard barrel which isn't light. That's just a personal preference.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1018507 02/15/15 03:20 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Magpul moe products are the best bang for the buck for adding rails and sights to a rifle without adding weight.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1018510 02/15/15 06:40 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
WOW, fast response. Right now I have a Pellet rifle scope on my AR. Yes, I said PELLET RIFLE! BUT it is rated for unlimited full auto fire! It's a 30mm Beeman SS4 scope that I love. The rifle (flat top of course) has the regular ar15/m16 front sight and the carry handle comes off with two thumb screws. It works fine for me before I got the scope but I just thought I could put the rear BUIS on it for "In Case".

My concern was finding the right "Rail" cause the regular hand guard on it isn't all that long. PLUS it attaches at the rear with a collett (?) ring that is spring loaded and holds on the guard. How do I go about finding the right size handguard?

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1018511 02/15/15 06:43 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Oh yeah and about the vertical fore grip. I'm not sure I would like one, never used one, but I thought what with everybody using them it was the way to go. Personally I too feel as if it would get in the way (for me at least).

The light, I have been thinking about Streamlight Tlr (or TLS, which ever it is) series.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1018512 02/15/15 06:57 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
So it sounds like I could get a good Tactical flashlight and mount it to the barrel ahead of the existing handguard, add a remote switch and I would be in business.

Hmmmm I REALLY like this option. The only reason I said a new handguard/rail was to primarily mount a light.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1018513 02/15/15 07:08 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Well I signed up for my C&R FFL so "obsolete" rifles here I come.

Skunk if you go with the dpms be sure to get the G2

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1018514 02/15/15 07:16 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
IF I do get one (Patty gave me the go ahead a while back) It will probably be one from Wally world. I think they are either $897 or $987. Don't know which ones they are.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 137 of 271 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 270 271