header

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1050977 - 09/08/17 05:48 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: SkunkHunter]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
Originally Posted By: SkunkHunter
Not near as exciting as yours, but here is my First "Alone" hunting trip in the Woods not more than 200 yards from Grandma and Grandpa's house.

I was 10 and had my trusty Iver Johnson single shot break open shotgun (Yeah it was a 20) paperbag I heard some rustling in the leaves and saw a squirrel running toward and then up a tree. I put the stock between my legs (had to use both hands, thumbs, to [censored] the hammer). Got it cocked without shooting myself and looked up into the tree. Finally spotted the squirrel and let loose a barrage. FOUR shots later I had my first "Partly pre-skinned and tenderized) squirrel.

Hahaha

I've turned a few upload critters into fine red mist but that's another story for later on.
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1050978 - 09/08/17 05:49 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Private Klink]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: Private Klink
My most serious hunting took place in VietNam....oops, wrong kind of war story. blush

That was my father too. He didn't hunt after Vietnam. However, he did sleep with a chambered handgun under his pillow until the day he died.

I have a great deal of respect for Vietnam veterans. Our family wasn't the same as a result of my dad's time there.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1050979 - 09/08/17 05:56 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

This story could end this thread, but it is germane to the direction it has taken ....

MY FATHER'S UNIT HUNTED A TIGER IN VIETNAM.

My dad served with the 1st Marine Division's 1st Recon Battalion. As the USMC's premier infantry unit they were apparently given more leeway than some other units. Upon helo insertion another Recon Marine went missing in the tall grass. His partially eaten body was found. A tiger had grabbed him upon insertion, killed him, and pulled him away from the fray. The Recon Company ended upon going back to exact revenge.

The rest of the story is best told by pictures ....

That image is from the book "Force Recon Dairy 1970". I have quite a few original color photos of the tiger (taken by my father) in his "Memory of South Vietnam" photo album.

#1050980 - 09/08/17 06:06 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
I don't think it is a thread stopper. MY Dad was in Korea. He brought back some NOKO Teeth! He has SEVERAL experiences over there. He remained "Jumpy" until the day he went into the Hospital the week he died.
JYD#105

#1050981 - 09/08/17 06:13 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Last pic is of my old man.

#1050982 - 09/08/17 06:15 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Randy,
Yep - I know that "jumpy" thing all to well. I respected, and feared, my father. I saw how quick his temper was, and how well he could handle himself.

OFTEN.

#1050983 - 09/08/17 06:18 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: SkunkHunter]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: SkunkHunter
I don't think it is a thread stopper. MY Dad was in Korea. He brought back some NOKO Teeth! He has SEVERAL experiences over there. He remained "Jumpy" until the day he went into the Hospital the week he died.

I just caught the part about NOKO teeth!

That must be a generational thing, because I was told my dad's dad brought back ears from the WW2 Pacific Theater. The only thing I have of my grandfather's is a little "made in theater" sword. Its about 8" long ... the handle is a Jap cartridge. The blade (sultan style) is made from hammered out brass. I was told the cartridge was taken out of the enemy's chamber after he was vanquished wink

#1050984 - 09/08/17 06:20 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

It STILL amazes me how young folks looked back then, and the things they were asked to do.

Just think he was able to hunt one of the most dangerous animals in the world and the trip was all free! (yeah right). I think that EVERYONE that came back from Vietnam got a bum deal from a large part of the country. You may not like what your country is doing, but you DO NOT disrespect those who answer the call.
JYD#105

#1050985 - 09/08/17 06:23 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Dad Literally met the enemy at arms length, more than once. He had his tent riddled with shrapnel and the barrel on a .30 carbine he carried (he "Layed in the big guns") red hot once. He said he finally threw it in the snow to cool off and then picked it up and started using it again. Oh he was NORTH of the 38th parallel.
JYD#105

#1050986 - 09/08/17 06:43 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

The men of yesterday were made of better mettle. It was like INFI metal compared to today's D2.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >