header

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1050987 - 09/08/17 06:56 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
The WORLD was a different place back then, all the way up to the end of our Vietnam "Conflict".

Vietnam was just like Korea. It was never a war. Yeah Right. Explain that to all those that came back from there or the families of those that didn't.
JYD#105

#1050996 - 09/08/17 11:47 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
...and the families of those that partially returned.
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1051001 - 09/08/17 08:40 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia
In the same theme.... years ago we hosted the US Army Rifle Team for some R&R in the bush after AASAM (Australian Army Skill at Arms Meeting) here in the late 90s. This was a shooting competition attended by military personnel from all over the world andway....we were all up on a cattle station and playing with bits and pieces wink thathad been used in the comps. They pulled out a Colt 9mm SMG (there were pistol, SMG, Rifle, MG, Sniper and Team events on the program so everyone arrived with all knids of goodies) and it was being passed around. They handed it to a firends father (they owned the cattle station) and a little condescendingly started to explain how it work (that was OK though he was familair with the M16) but then how to shoot it....in fairness to them he was a much older gentleman and at the time wearing thick coke bottle glasses" They threw a few tennis balls out onto a dam below us and pretty much expected to humor him spraying bullets all over. Three short bursts later three tennis balls were toast....he handed it back and said "nice toy, but shooting tennis balls with one is no where near as much fun or exciting as shooting Indonesians with an Owen though".....and he just wandered away.... LOL He was of course a veteran of our involvement in Confrontation in the early 60s...and saw more than his share.

#1051005 - 09/09/17 01:48 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Appears to have been a man of action/confidence, but few words. A class act.
JYD#105

#1051022 - 09/09/17 08:53 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
Andy, awesome story (even though it highlighted the American arrogance I've come to detest).

Randy, those are the types of guys you want around when it goes pear shaped.
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1051026 - 09/09/17 06:40 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia
Then there was the time the next day where they took cover because the Kangaroos they were hunting charged them..... *snicker*

#1051040 - 09/10/17 03:08 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: Architect
Andy, awesome story (even though it highlighted the American arrogance I've come to detest).

Randy, those are the types of guys you want around when it goes pear shaped.

EXACTLY! And Or those who sat at their knees and learned from them.
JYD#105

#1052649 - 02/04/18 09:53 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: father of waters
Super hard hunting season!

Both areas I hunt have been cut down in the last few years. And in one spot the deer are only moving at night and bedded down to were I jumped the only one or two I've seen there. The other place they are moving but it's always when and where I'm trying to get to my stand. Plus they just put an ATV park that runs right on the property line. The deer are still there but man you just can't see them before they see you in this thick cut down stuff.

I just jumped three deer on the way in this morning and once I got settled I got rained right out of my stand. I've hunted here in the rain before but it was before it got cut. In the past I could hear the deer sloshing around in the puddles and had maybe the easiest hunting ever at the end of that day. I passed on a nice doe since she was on the other side of the creek and it would've been a huge task to get her out of there on my own. With how things have been this year, I would love to have that same opportunity today lol.
JYD #82 yup...

#1052663 - 02/06/18 03:59 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: South Carolina Y'all
My buddy has several family members that each own sizeable amounts of interlocking properties in the boonies of southern Missouri. The land consists of mostly rolling hills covered in hardwoods with a few open pastures, and has a spring fed creek that runs year-round winding through the properties. This area is bordered on two sides by a conservation area with the rest surrounded by alfalfa fields. All that is missing from this hunter dream land is corn fields. The area is rich with turkey, deer, squirrels, with an occasional visit of a couple of mountain lions from the conservation area land.

After helping with some logging (they heat and cook exclusively with wood), and a few group hunting trips, the relatives gave me a standing open invitation to hunt the property at any time I desired.

One fall, I asked my bud if he wanted to go down with me to hunt for squirrel (my favorite wild game), and he told me he didnít like to hunt rodents but would accompany me just to get out into the woods and instead of hunting would scout for deer.

Five days into the seven-day trip, I didnít know what made me stink worse, the cigarettes, my b.o., or my camp fire smoke drenched clothes. Either way we were both pretty ripe, but not ripe enough to bathe in that cold [censored] creek.

I decide to walk the creek bottom to find some fat squirrels for supper, and while it might have below my buddy to hunt and clean them, he sure had his plate out when it was eatiní time.

So, Iím standing by this huge oak tree just above the creek bottom, tapping on my squirrel call, trying to bark a squirrel out into the open from a tree across the creek when I hear some rustling leaves on the other side of the tree. As I slowly lean back and peak around the tree I see six does moving in my direction and can hear my buddy unsuccessfully trying to sneak through the crisp dry leaves in the distance.
Now Iím wondering how close will theyíll come before they smell my stinking butt and bolt away. I very slowly lean forward so that once again Iím hidden by the tree, put out my cigarette, pocket the butt, all the while listening to the small herd getting closer and closer. Finally, I can stand it anymore, my hunter patience is gone, plus it sounds like theyíre going to be right on the other side of the tree. As I ever so slowly turn my head and lean back I see the rump of a deer right beside the opposite side of the tree I standing beside. In my head Iím like thinking WTF? And it suddenly dawns on me, if her rump is there, her head must be right in front of the tree. After I whip my head back around, I see this young doe staring at me.

Now Iím not sure if she was trying to figure out the strange smells coming off of me, or how I got so close without being detected, or maybe she was baffled as to why I was staring at her rear. But no matter what she might have been thinking, it ending up with both of us standing there staring at each other. After two or three seconds of amazement the thought ran through my mind that if I had a knife in my hand, with one step I could stab her right between the eyes. It was as if she read my mind because she blinked her eyes and was off to the races along with the rest of her girlfriends.

Limited out on squirrels that day too.

#1052667 - 02/07/18 01:11 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Now that IS one to write about. Things like that make it all worth it.

Hey mastiff, is their land anywhere near Mingo NWR?

Edited by SkunkHunter (02/07/18 01:12 AM)
JYD#105

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >