header

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1050805 - 09/04/17 03:37 PM Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories!
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
Well, hunting season has opened in most places. Dove hunting was always my favorite. I've hunted dove, squirrel, deer, rabbit, pheasant, raccoon, coyote, quail, and others.

I'm starting to feel the cooler air move, and those stirrings of wilderness desire. Therefore, I thought it might be fun to tell our "horror" or "war" or "campfire" hunting stories. I have a few to share.

Architect's First True Hunting Story ....
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1050806 - 09/04/17 03:48 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

While I was in high school I dated the football coach's daughter . Yes, I was on the football team. She was a sweet lass, and I spent a lot of time at Coach's house. During our second year of dating he invited me to go deer hunting. I reluctantly accepted, because I knew my girlfriend's younger brother would disapprove. Eventually the day came, and we all piled into Coach's dilapidated Dodge pickup. I was use to driving for a couple of hours for a choice hunting spot as deer weren't very plentiful in my home town 25-30 years ago. The spot he had chosen was less than choice. It was in a river bottom amongst some water shed scrub. I nonetheless hauled my homemade climber and shotgun about 200 yards into the woods. I found a semi-straight tree and proceeded to climb to about 10 feet.

As the morning light and breeze started to show itself I could hear rustling near my tree. I was excited because I thought for sure I'd have a shot at first legal light. As the sun rose the trees cast eerie shadows in this scrubby low land. I could hear more noises, but I wasn't sure what I was hearing.

By the time I could make out shapes I was 100% positive I wasn't looking at a whitetail deer. The thing I was looking at was bigger but smaller at the same time. It seemed to be oscillating too.

A very unusual sound behind my tree startled me, and I swung around to see what it was. This loosened my homemade climbers grip on the crooked tree. I didn't see what had made the sound, and by the time I stabilized the stand whatever had been in front of me was gone.

It was at this time I realized some of the noises I had heard were in the trees around me. The sun was still rising, and I was struggling to make out the shapes when WHAM I was hit with a burst of activity that scared me so badly I lost my balance and fell out of the stand. The improvised safety harness tangled up in the stand and we were both left hanging about 7 feet in the air. I had to cut myself loose, and man, gun, and stand all came to stop in one big bleeding heap at the foot of the tree.

This was the day I learned turkeys could fly.

Yes, what I had heard and saw were turkeys. A large tom had been the oscillating object.

Until that morning I had never seen a wild turkey (they were about as common as unicorns in my area). I certainly didn't know they could fly or roost in trees.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1050810 - 09/04/17 05:48 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia
Where do I start.....LOL

Given I have hunted since I was about 10 I have more than my fair share of wonderful hunting tales but also many many mishaps and "character building" happenings (whenever something bad happens or we have had a particularly tough day, it is ALWAYS described as "character building"). I need to think of some of the better.

#1050828 - 09/04/17 08:17 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I'd love to hear them Andy. I started at 10 as well, but haven't really been an active hunter for years.

Andy's adventures are certainly something I'm very interested in hearing!

#1050959 - 09/07/17 04:03 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
lazi Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: father of waters
I have a story but it's maybe a little to long to type out on a phone. Hopefully I will be at a keyboard soon.
JYD #82 yup...

#1050960 - 09/07/17 04:27 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
lazi Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

I've only been hunting a short while. Around 5 years now...

To see how much time and money I put into hunting and fishing you would think I would be somewhat good at it. Nope! I just enjoy it. I don't have to catch a fish or harvest a single animal. It is frustrating when I don't but it doesn't change how much I enjoy the experience and appreciate the opportunity.

You ain't living until you walk up to a spot stop and think that you've been Herr Before. Then you realize you sort of walked a circle like they said people do when are lost. Then you realize that were actually lost in the woods and didn't even know it. And then there's a deer standing there starring right at you like "WTF are you doing". I really wanted to shoot that deer just because he was a witness. laugh

That's not the story though...
JYD #82 yup...

#1050965 - 09/07/17 09:25 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

lazi,

When I was around 11 years old I went deer hunting with my first step father. He really disliked me so I half way thought he'd leave me in the woods. Anyway, we drive out to an area I've never been in, park the truck on the side of a dirt road, load up and head into the woods. Its dark, and we're walking by flashlight. After about 20 minutes he turns to me and says "this is a good spot" (while aiming the flashlight at a tree....just like the 50,000 other trees we passed). He tells me to clear the leaves out around it so I don't make noise, and walks off in the darkness. As he walking away he mumbled something about lunch time.

I do as instructed. I clear about 24" around the trunk of the tree and sit down on the damp bare earth - leaning against the tree. Isn't long before my butt is wet, and I'm getting really cold.

Eventually the sun starts to come up, and I can see that I'm sitting on a little ridge in the middle of a woods. I sit there for what feels like an eternity ... never see any deer, but do remember watching a squirrel for a while.

I sit there longer, and start to feel like I should be watching for my stepdad (remember .. something about lunch time).

I sit there for what felt like another hour, but it was probably only 10 minutes. I'm starting to get worried, and wondering if I was suppose to walk back to the truck.

The sun moves 4 trees over in the sky so I decided it was time to move. I had NO IDEA which way we came in, because I had (as instructed) cleared out a circle around the tree and had moved around it trying to stay out of the wind.

I eventually decided to set out in a randomly selected direction. I walked for MUCH longer than it had taken to arrive at my magical tree.

The terrain was becoming more dramatic (ridges became larger), and I started to feel panic setting in. I was very lost.

As I was walking up out of a draw I heard something crashing toward me. I was shocked to see a doe running over the crest and down toward me a few steps before breaking off to one side. At that moment BAM BAM BAM a hunter was firing at her.

Apparently I had spooked her, and he tried to get off a few butt shots. I hesitated for a second, and decided to walk up to ask for directions out of the woods.

I get to the top of the hill, and didn't see anyone. I stood there for a few seconds looking around like an idiot before I felt an acorn bounce off my hat. I looked up and saw the guy in a tree stand. He looked MAD. I decided against asking for directions, and just continued in the same direction.

I walked for about 30 minutes before I hit a road. It was a dirt road bordered by trees on both sides. I randomly choose to go "left". I walked for quite a while before I started to see a few random trucks on the side of the road (other hunters). Eventually I did find our truck. My stepdad was there, mad that I hadn't followed instructions.

It was a long drive home.

#1050970 - 09/08/17 02:41 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
Not near as exciting as yours, but here is my First "Alone" hunting trip in the Woods not more than 200 yards from Grandma and Grandpa's house.

I was 10 and had my trusty Iver Johnson single shot break open shotgun (Yeah it was a 20) paperbag I heard some rustling in the leaves and saw a squirrel running toward and then up a tree. I put the stock between my legs (had to use both hands, thumbs, to [censored] the hammer). Got it cocked without shooting myself and looked up into the tree. Finally spotted the squirrel and let loose a barrage. FOUR shots later I had my first "Partly pre-skinned and tenderized) squirrel.
JYD#105

#1050972 - 09/08/17 03:09 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: SkunkHunter]
Private Klink Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: S.W. Missouri
My most serious hunting took place in VietNam....oops, wrong kind of war story. blush
Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!

#1050974 - 09/08/17 03:17 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Tom, I hold you and ALL those who have been in combat in the highest regard. You deserve it.
JYD#105

#1050977 - 09/08/17 05:48 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: SkunkHunter]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: SkunkHunter
Not near as exciting as yours, but here is my First "Alone" hunting trip in the Woods not more than 200 yards from Grandma and Grandpa's house.

I was 10 and had my trusty Iver Johnson single shot break open shotgun (Yeah it was a 20) paperbag I heard some rustling in the leaves and saw a squirrel running toward and then up a tree. I put the stock between my legs (had to use both hands, thumbs, to [censored] the hammer). Got it cocked without shooting myself and looked up into the tree. Finally spotted the squirrel and let loose a barrage. FOUR shots later I had my first "Partly pre-skinned and tenderized) squirrel.

Hahaha

I've turned a few upload critters into fine red mist but that's another story for later on.

#1050978 - 09/08/17 05:49 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Private Klink]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: Private Klink
My most serious hunting took place in VietNam....oops, wrong kind of war story. blush

That was my father too. He didn't hunt after Vietnam. However, he did sleep with a chambered handgun under his pillow until the day he died.

I have a great deal of respect for Vietnam veterans. Our family wasn't the same as a result of my dad's time there.

#1050979 - 09/08/17 05:56 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

This story could end this thread, but it is germane to the direction it has taken ....

MY FATHER'S UNIT HUNTED A TIGER IN VIETNAM.

My dad served with the 1st Marine Division's 1st Recon Battalion. As the USMC's premier infantry unit they were apparently given more leeway than some other units. Upon helo insertion another Recon Marine went missing in the tall grass. His partially eaten body was found. A tiger had grabbed him upon insertion, killed him, and pulled him away from the fray. The Recon Company ended upon going back to exact revenge.

The rest of the story is best told by pictures ....

That image is from the book "Force Recon Dairy 1970". I have quite a few original color photos of the tiger (taken by my father) in his "Memory of South Vietnam" photo album.

#1050980 - 09/08/17 06:06 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I don't think it is a thread stopper. MY Dad was in Korea. He brought back some NOKO Teeth! He has SEVERAL experiences over there. He remained "Jumpy" until the day he went into the Hospital the week he died.
JYD#105

#1050981 - 09/08/17 06:13 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Last pic is of my old man.

#1050982 - 09/08/17 06:15 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Randy,
Yep - I know that "jumpy" thing all to well. I respected, and feared, my father. I saw how quick his temper was, and how well he could handle himself.

OFTEN.

#1050983 - 09/08/17 06:18 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: SkunkHunter]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: SkunkHunter
I don't think it is a thread stopper. MY Dad was in Korea. He brought back some NOKO Teeth! He has SEVERAL experiences over there. He remained "Jumpy" until the day he went into the Hospital the week he died.

I just caught the part about NOKO teeth!

That must be a generational thing, because I was told my dad's dad brought back ears from the WW2 Pacific Theater. The only thing I have of my grandfather's is a little "made in theater" sword. Its about 8" long ... the handle is a Jap cartridge. The blade (sultan style) is made from hammered out brass. I was told the cartridge was taken out of the enemy's chamber after he was vanquished wink

#1050984 - 09/08/17 06:20 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

It STILL amazes me how young folks looked back then, and the things they were asked to do.

Just think he was able to hunt one of the most dangerous animals in the world and the trip was all free! (yeah right). I think that EVERYONE that came back from Vietnam got a bum deal from a large part of the country. You may not like what your country is doing, but you DO NOT disrespect those who answer the call.
JYD#105

#1050985 - 09/08/17 06:23 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Dad Literally met the enemy at arms length, more than once. He had his tent riddled with shrapnel and the barrel on a .30 carbine he carried (he "Layed in the big guns") red hot once. He said he finally threw it in the snow to cool off and then picked it up and started using it again. Oh he was NORTH of the 38th parallel.
JYD#105

#1050986 - 09/08/17 06:43 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

The men of yesterday were made of better mettle. It was like INFI metal compared to today's D2.

#1050987 - 09/08/17 06:56 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

The WORLD was a different place back then, all the way up to the end of our Vietnam "Conflict".

Vietnam was just like Korea. It was never a war. Yeah Right. Explain that to all those that came back from there or the families of those that didn't.
JYD#105

#1050996 - 09/08/17 11:47 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

...and the families of those that partially returned.

#1051001 - 09/08/17 08:40 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

In the same theme.... years ago we hosted the US Army Rifle Team for some R&R in the bush after AASAM (Australian Army Skill at Arms Meeting) here in the late 90s. This was a shooting competition attended by military personnel from all over the world andway....we were all up on a cattle station and playing with bits and pieces wink thathad been used in the comps. They pulled out a Colt 9mm SMG (there were pistol, SMG, Rifle, MG, Sniper and Team events on the program so everyone arrived with all knids of goodies) and it was being passed around. They handed it to a firends father (they owned the cattle station) and a little condescendingly started to explain how it work (that was OK though he was familair with the M16) but then how to shoot it....in fairness to them he was a much older gentleman and at the time wearing thick coke bottle glasses" They threw a few tennis balls out onto a dam below us and pretty much expected to humor him spraying bullets all over. Three short bursts later three tennis balls were toast....he handed it back and said "nice toy, but shooting tennis balls with one is no where near as much fun or exciting as shooting Indonesians with an Owen though".....and he just wandered away.... LOL He was of course a veteran of our involvement in Confrontation in the early 60s...and saw more than his share.

#1051005 - 09/09/17 01:48 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Appears to have been a man of action/confidence, but few words. A class act.
JYD#105

#1051022 - 09/09/17 08:53 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Andy, awesome story (even though it highlighted the American arrogance I've come to detest).

Randy, those are the types of guys you want around when it goes pear shaped.

#1051026 - 09/09/17 06:40 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Then there was the time the next day where they took cover because the Kangaroos they were hunting charged them..... *snicker*

#1051040 - 09/10/17 03:08 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: Architect
Andy, awesome story (even though it highlighted the American arrogance I've come to detest).

Randy, those are the types of guys you want around when it goes pear shaped.

EXACTLY! And Or those who sat at their knees and learned from them.
JYD#105

#1052649 - 02/04/18 09:53 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
lazi Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Super hard hunting season!

Both areas I hunt have been cut down in the last few years. And in one spot the deer are only moving at night and bedded down to were I jumped the only one or two I've seen there. The other place they are moving but it's always when and where I'm trying to get to my stand. Plus they just put an ATV park that runs right on the property line. The deer are still there but man you just can't see them before they see you in this thick cut down stuff.

I just jumped three deer on the way in this morning and once I got settled I got rained right out of my stand. I've hunted here in the rain before but it was before it got cut. In the past I could hear the deer sloshing around in the puddles and had maybe the easiest hunting ever at the end of that day. I passed on a nice doe since she was on the other side of the creek and it would've been a huge task to get her out of there on my own. With how things have been this year, I would love to have that same opportunity today lol.
JYD #82 yup...

#1052663 - 02/06/18 03:59 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: South Carolina Y'all
My buddy has several family members that each own sizeable amounts of interlocking properties in the boonies of southern Missouri. The land consists of mostly rolling hills covered in hardwoods with a few open pastures, and has a spring fed creek that runs year-round winding through the properties. This area is bordered on two sides by a conservation area with the rest surrounded by alfalfa fields. All that is missing from this hunter dream land is corn fields. The area is rich with turkey, deer, squirrels, with an occasional visit of a couple of mountain lions from the conservation area land.

After helping with some logging (they heat and cook exclusively with wood), and a few group hunting trips, the relatives gave me a standing open invitation to hunt the property at any time I desired.

One fall, I asked my bud if he wanted to go down with me to hunt for squirrel (my favorite wild game), and he told me he didnít like to hunt rodents but would accompany me just to get out into the woods and instead of hunting would scout for deer.

Five days into the seven-day trip, I didnít know what made me stink worse, the cigarettes, my b.o., or my camp fire smoke drenched clothes. Either way we were both pretty ripe, but not ripe enough to bathe in that cold [censored] creek.

I decide to walk the creek bottom to find some fat squirrels for supper, and while it might have below my buddy to hunt and clean them, he sure had his plate out when it was eatiní time.

So, Iím standing by this huge oak tree just above the creek bottom, tapping on my squirrel call, trying to bark a squirrel out into the open from a tree across the creek when I hear some rustling leaves on the other side of the tree. As I slowly lean back and peak around the tree I see six does moving in my direction and can hear my buddy unsuccessfully trying to sneak through the crisp dry leaves in the distance.
Now Iím wondering how close will theyíll come before they smell my stinking butt and bolt away. I very slowly lean forward so that once again Iím hidden by the tree, put out my cigarette, pocket the butt, all the while listening to the small herd getting closer and closer. Finally, I can stand it anymore, my hunter patience is gone, plus it sounds like theyíre going to be right on the other side of the tree. As I ever so slowly turn my head and lean back I see the rump of a deer right beside the opposite side of the tree I standing beside. In my head Iím like thinking WTF? And it suddenly dawns on me, if her rump is there, her head must be right in front of the tree. After I whip my head back around, I see this young doe staring at me.

Now Iím not sure if she was trying to figure out the strange smells coming off of me, or how I got so close without being detected, or maybe she was baffled as to why I was staring at her rear. But no matter what she might have been thinking, it ending up with both of us standing there staring at each other. After two or three seconds of amazement the thought ran through my mind that if I had a knife in my hand, with one step I could stab her right between the eyes. It was as if she read my mind because she blinked her eyes and was off to the races along with the rest of her girlfriends.

Limited out on squirrels that day too.

#1052667 - 02/07/18 01:11 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Now that IS one to write about. Things like that make it all worth it.

Hey mastiff, is their land anywhere near Mingo NWR?

Edited by SkunkHunter (02/07/18 01:12 AM)
JYD#105

#1052681 - 02/07/18 10:31 AM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: South Carolina Y'all
It's in the Protem area.

#1052693 - 02/08/18 06:47 PM Re: Hunting Season Started ... time for war stories! [Re: Mastiff]
Private Klink Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: S.W. Missouri
The land sounds a lot like mine, but no state lands real close. It always feels great to get out there. You're a lucky man Mastiff. wink
Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >