header

Topic Options
#1051605 - 10/28/17 03:14 AM Changing for Winter
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
OK Dogs, it's that time of the year. Time go break out the winter bag or swap out items from summer to winter.
Here I have compiled a quick and dirty of what I think I need to pack up to put in the Jeep for this winter. Mind you, this will not be all I have available. I keep several items stored around the spare tire well (You CAN cram a lot of stuff in there).

WINTER GEAR/GHB

WOOL HEAD COVER
WINTER GLOVES
WOOL SOCKS
WOOL BLANKET
ALL WEATHER BLANKET
FLASHLIGHTS/HEAD LAMP (S)
PONCHO
550 CORD
BIVY BAG
TARP
PAIN MEDS
KNIFE (FOLDER AND FIXED)
FIRE KIT
WATER BOTTLES
SCHMAUGH
BANDANNAS
STROBE LIGHT
ENERGY BARS
RAINSUIT PANTS (?)
LONG SLEEVE SHIRT (?)

This is just a possibles list and all items may not be included in the finished product, and different items may be added as I go.
I was looking for about a 16 liter bag but Architect recommended I go with my Condor II (23liters) allowing for easier packing stuff back in incase I was to have to actually use it to survive in place (in the vehicle) or had to pack out.
what do Y'all intend on building up for a PACKABLE if needed kit?
Countin the days till Retirement! wink JYD#105

#1051606 - 10/28/17 10:13 AM Re: Changing for Winter [Re: SkunkHunter]
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: father of waters
It's gotten cool down here but I'm not really a "it's cold" type of person.I usually realize it's getting cold by how hungry I start to get each day. But I pretty much wear short sleeves year round and I'll go a few weeks before it occurs to me that I probably should've been wearing a jacket lol... I don't like sleeves but eventually I'll break out a full zip hoodie until pain starts to set in. Then I have a pretty nice Wolverine jacket that works for the rest of the winter. Last year I had to break out some gloves but that's about it.

Hunting is another story... If I'm sitting out in the woods for hours then I will go ahead and layer up. This year I have a couple 5.11 jackets and shirts I will be using. Lots of synthetic materials and everything will be layered so I can adjust rather than be stuck with one option. I'm also taking a shemagh and neck buff in stead of just a skully. I'll also have glove liner and extra socks. You feet and hands cool pretty fast when you are sitting two feet up and the wind is on you.
JYD #82 yup...

#1051609 - 10/28/17 10:27 AM Re: Changing for Winter [Re: SkunkHunter]
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: father of waters
Skunk, I just snagged a Condor II from LAPG on clearance. So far it's looking like a really good pack. It's covered in molle and straps. I think it would be a great cold weather pack just because you can strap extra jackets and blankets to it. It has just enough organization to give you options but doesn't limit you ability to set up how you want to run it. I will likely get a second one if they are still on clearance when I get around to it
JYD #82 yup...

#1051611 - 10/28/17 04:51 PM Re: Changing for Winter [Re: SkunkHunter]
Lord Mortdecai Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
When it came time for me to buy a replacement for my Sitka (couldn't get use to the single strap) I was torn between the more traditional Condor 2 and the more compact Falcon 2. I opted for the Falcon 2. It is won't hold the kitchen sink, but works well for my GHB needs.
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...