Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1051634 - 10/29/17 12:28 PM Re: Carry Gun Thread [Re: SkunkHunter]
Lord Mortdecai Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
Originally Posted By: SkunkHunter
Originally Posted By: Architect
Its cold, wet, and dreary here today. I'm eating chili and watching 13th Warrior ... some much needed time off (a recommendation from a Senior Dog here). Anyway, I thought a Carry Gun thread could be fun.

Pics are encouraged.

Sounds like you got some good advice. And the 13th warrior is a great movie! I like what he did with that ugly old sword he was given. smile Oh and I see you are using a real leather holster. Way to go!

If Busse released an INFI Viking sword I would buy one, and actually mount it to my fighting gear.

What ibn Fadlan did to that beautiful nordic blade was blasphemy!

I prefer real leather to kydex. I was thinking of ordering a 3" VM2 for the Colt Defender I ordered last night ...
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1051635 - 10/29/17 12:32 PM Re: Carry Gun Thread [Re: Ray Settanta]
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: Ray Settanta
I used to carry a Colt 1911 in .45ACP and used it in IPSC for a couple of years. I had a problem with the manual safety that happened once each year. I forgot to flick the safety off prior to shooting. This never happened during practice, only under the stress of competition. I began to think about whether this could occur to me during the greater stress of a personal encounter. I did not want to risk it so I purchased a Glock. In .45ACP of course. Never had to worry about the problem again. Although, I did keep trying to flick the safety off for a while. grin

I change my carry guns from time to time. When I switched from GLock to HK I kept trying to hit the "button mag release" which HKs do not have.

Another time I switched from 1911s to HKs, and didn't have a problem with the C-N-L safety, but again the mag release issue came up.

Another time I switched from Sigs to Glocks. I kept trying to hit the decocker ... which wasn't there.

Muscle memory is about training.

I can always tell former military at the range when I see "Tap Rack Bang" drills. They don't even realize they're doing it.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1051636 - 10/29/17 12:42 PM Re: Carry Gun Thread [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

The "carry battery" I'm building will consist of:

Colt Defender (3" Stainless 1911)
Colt XSE (5" Stainless Government Model 1911)
Les Baer UTC (5" Blued Government Model 1911)

The Defender will be a "back up" or "warm weather" gun when I can't conceal a full size 1911.

The Colt XSE will be my "inclement weather" standard carry gun. I'll carry this when it is rainy or I anticipate getting sweaty.

The Les Baer will be my preferred carry gun. Out of all of the guns I've carried I have never felt better armed than with a Les Baer. However, I like my Baers to be blued, and it can easily rust.

I've carried 1911s intermittently for the past 25 years. I ALWAYS come back to them. As Randy said, plastic guns are solid tools. Much like the hammer in your tool box. However, you probably don't enjoy owning or using your hammer. You know it'll do a reasonable job of pounding nails, but otherwise ... it is just an object. Steel guns have soul and character. They project mental images of a better (and simpler) time when man toiled to craft items built to last lifetimes...not as cheaply as possible for the disposable consumer of today.

#1051648 - 10/29/17 08:47 PM Re: Carry Gun Thread [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
I was cleaning out some boxes and came across a ziploc bag with 5 shock buffs in it. I'm not sure if I have ever used any or not. Gary, what is your opinion of them? To me they just seem like something that can cause your gun to malfunction at exactly the wrong time. Now I have seen a couple of "Recoil reduction rods" that look like they might be useful, but once again, are they worth messing with Uncle John's greatest invention?

I know that my SR1911CMD is heavier that all my guns except for my slightly built up Colt 1991A1 but It is my favorite carry gun of them all. That's why it wears the Crusader Grips I got from VZ Grips.

Edited by SkunkHunter (10/29/17 08:49 PM)
Countin the days till Retirement! wink JYD#105

#1051649 - 10/29/17 09:02 PM Re: Carry Gun Thread [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Shok Buffs can cause malfunctions, and can actually accelerate frame wear. Yes, they are made of compressible material but they add thickness and thus impart increased loads.

#1051650 - 10/29/17 09:02 PM Re: Carry Gun Thread [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Randy, do you have a picture of the Crusader grips?

#1051653 - 10/30/17 08:53 AM Re: Carry Gun Thread [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Gary, these are the ones I have. They provide a really good grip but won't tear up your skin if you carry without an undershirt.

https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/1911/cu...engraving-73478

Oh and they have then in two or three different colors.
https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/1911/cu...ght-2-engraving

And styles, but I don't like these standing on the skulls
https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/1911/custom-etchings/320-steel-gray-knight-templar-engraving

Edited by SkunkHunter (10/30/17 08:56 AM)

#1051654 - 10/30/17 08:57 AM Re: Carry Gun Thread [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: Architect
Shok Buffs can cause malfunctions, and can actually accelerate frame wear. Yes, they are made of compressible material but they add thickness and thus impart increased loads.

That's kinda what I thought, thanks Gary.

#1051655 - 10/30/17 09:42 AM Re: Carry Gun Thread [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Nice grips!

Here’s what I ordered over the weekend:

Full Size:

[/url]

Defender:

[/url]

#1051657 - 10/30/17 09:55 AM Re: Carry Gun Thread [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I saw those grips on a different sight and ALMOST ordered them, but in the long run wanted the stability of man made material and just thought the Crusader grips fit my personality better (I HATE radicalism of ANY kind) and the Knights Templar, although kinda shady themselves, represent at least to me the fight against Radicalism, with Radical Islamists as "Group" number one. Then you have all the groups that folks don't usually think of as Radical extremests, but actually are.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >