Loc: Silverdale Manor
Three Range Trips in Two Days
Seven Handguns (and one rifle)
Two Shooters (Lord and Lady Mortdecai)

Guns:

NIB Beretta 92FS
NIB Colt XSE Government
NIB Glock 19
ANIB HK P2000 (had 120rds through it before test)
ANIB HK P2000 SK (had 80rds through it before test)
ANIB HK USP Compact (had 250rds through it before test)
NIB Les Baer UTC
NIB BCM BFH 16" LW with Aimpoint Micro T-1

Comparison Procedure:

Ammo: US brass case / brass jacketed FMJ
Rounds Fired: Alternate between guns shooting one full mag +1 round in the chamber each.

Results:

NIB Beretta 92FS = Zero malfunctions

NIB Colt XSE Government = Zero malfunctions

NIB Glock 19 = So many malfunctions it had to be removed from the test

ANIB HK P2000 (had 120rds through it before test) = Zero malfunctions.

ANIB HK P2000 SK (had 80rds through it before test) = Zero malfunctions.

ANIB HK USP Compact (had 250rds through it before test)
NIB Les Baer UTC = Zero malfunctions.

Glock Issues:

The Glock 19 started ejecting brass directly at my head within two mags. It then started failing to eject. It became so prevalent I removed it from teh test. I returned to the range later with my wife and her Glock 19. It started failing to feed within two mags. My wife started shooting my HK P2000 and P2000SK with zero problems. She decided she wanted me to sell her Glock since hers and mine were not functioning (again ... we've had the same problem with other Glocks).

Accuracy:

No surprise here, but the Les Baer was by far the most accurate gun.

The big surprise (good) was how accurate the Beretta 92FS was. It had been years since I had fired one, and was very pleased with the performance. The person who loaned me the gun swears it is completely stock.

The Colt XSE felt very inconsistent compared to the Les Baer.

The HKs have the LEM V2 trigger which makes shooting nice groups very easy.

Photos (the lass is Lady Mortdecai):

JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1051721 - 11/03/17 04:57 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1051722 - 11/03/17 04:59 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I didn't take pictures of the AR's groups, but they were respectable. Here's the gun ...

#1051725 - 11/03/17 05:51 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
RN Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: CT
Nice shooting Lady Mortdecai!

Great shooting with the new LB...must have been a nice affirmation on that buy.

Add- was surprised to see the 92 in there...

Edited by RN (11/03/17 07:26 PM)
JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."

#1051726 - 11/03/17 08:30 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

The 92 was on loan from a friend. It was a pleasure to shoot.

#1051727 - 11/03/17 08:31 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

The LB is like every other LB I've fired ... scary accurate and tight.

#1051732 - 11/04/17 01:24 AM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
Sounds like Y'all had a good Dag Gary. Thank you for the reviews and pictures. I am surprised about the problems you are having with the Glocks. I thought they were rock solid reliable.
Countin the days till Retirement! wink JYD#105

#1051736 - 11/04/17 02:22 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Nation Wide
LOL, Glock quality has declined since they changed manufacturing processes. MIM parts and less than stellar quality control have made it hit or miss.

I have been lucky. All of mine are solid. I wouldn't carry them if they weren't. I have to wonder since all of mine are Blue label or department buy backs if the QC was a little better.

My newest one has been rock solid so far, and it is new production.

Unfortunately many manufacturers are trying to go cheap on parts and quality and make a profit on past successes. Sig comes to mind. Back in the day that was a dream gun. I wouldn't field the majority of them now.

JYD #113

Everyday I don't train, someone else does, and they are training to defeat me

#1051737 - 11/04/17 02:59 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
rth548 Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Western NC
I don't shoot mine as much as I should, but my Gen 3 G19 has been nothing but rock solid for me. The only stoppages I've ever had were in off-hand drills. I tend to limp wrist when I'm shooting lefty.

Resident Redneck
JYD #117

#1051738 - 11/04/17 04:39 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: MonkeyBomb
LOL, Glock quality has declined since they changed manufacturing processes. MIM parts and less than stellar quality control have made it hit or miss.

I have been lucky. All of mine are solid. I wouldn't carry them if they weren't. I have to wonder since all of mine are Blue label or department buy backs if the QC was a little better.

My newest one has been rock solid so far, and it is new production.

Unfortunately many manufacturers are trying to go cheap on parts and quality and make a profit on past successes. Sig comes to mind. Back in the day that was a dream gun. I wouldn't field the majority of them now.

Ditto.

When the first Gen 3 Glocks arrived (the kind that had the rough gray slide finish) they all seemed to work perfectly. I had a couple. Then the Gen 3 frying pan finish guns arrived. They usually worked well for the first 1000-1500rds and then developed ejection issues (at least the THREE G17, SIX G19 and TWO G26 I had all did). I bought several of the newest Gen 3 guns with the smooth / easily scratched gray finish recently. ALL have BTH/BTF and feeding / ejection issues. Glock cannot be saving much by switching to that dreaded dip MIM extractor, and they know the revised ejector design is problematic. I think they won't fix them because they want you to buy a Gen 4 or Gen 5 (both of which have their own issues).

The "infallible Glock" is a fallacy. In my opinion Glocks are a lot like AK47s ... without the reliability. Crappy ergonomics, short cut construction, and marginal accuracy. No thanks - I'm done with them.

Sig is the same. I carried German P226s and P228s for years. In fact, my Sig round count is probably second to my Glock round count. The Swiss/German guns were marvelous. Accuracy, and reliability were second to none. Then came the Exeter guns. Puke. I've had a laundry basket full of those that wouldn't work. I wouldn't take a Exeter gun for free.

Anyone reading this has to remember ... I'm not your typical American shooter. The average person rarely, if ever, shoots their guns. It isn't uncommon for me to shoot over 500 rounds in a single weekend. This reveals weaknesses very quickly.

Most gun manufacturers are now competiting on cost (not quality or innovation). They're also wagering that the American public will buy based on price and looks - not performance. It is cheaper to fix the few guns that actually see use than lose market share by producing a superior product at a higher price point.

There are a few companies that don't compete this way:

Dan Wesson
Heckler & Koch
Les Baer
Sig San (if you can find someone who is still importing the P210)
Wilson Combat

Heck, even Colt uses cast and MIM parts in their 1911s now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >