Loc: Silverdale Manor
Three Range Trips in Two Days
Seven Handguns (and one rifle)
Two Shooters (Lord and Lady Mortdecai)

Guns:

NIB Beretta 92FS
NIB Colt XSE Government
NIB Glock 19
ANIB HK P2000 (had 120rds through it before test)
ANIB HK P2000 SK (had 80rds through it before test)
ANIB HK USP Compact (had 250rds through it before test)
NIB Les Baer UTC
NIB BCM BFH 16" LW with Aimpoint Micro T-1

Comparison Procedure:

Ammo: US brass case / brass jacketed FMJ
Rounds Fired: Alternate between guns shooting one full mag +1 round in the chamber each.

Results:

NIB Beretta 92FS = Zero malfunctions

NIB Colt XSE Government = Zero malfunctions

NIB Glock 19 = So many malfunctions it had to be removed from the test

ANIB HK P2000 (had 120rds through it before test) = Zero malfunctions.

ANIB HK P2000 SK (had 80rds through it before test) = Zero malfunctions.

ANIB HK USP Compact (had 250rds through it before test)
NIB Les Baer UTC = Zero malfunctions.

Glock Issues:

The Glock 19 started ejecting brass directly at my head within two mags. It then started failing to eject. It became so prevalent I removed it from teh test. I returned to the range later with my wife and her Glock 19. It started failing to feed within two mags. My wife started shooting my HK P2000 and P2000SK with zero problems. She decided she wanted me to sell her Glock since hers and mine were not functioning (again ... we've had the same problem with other Glocks).

Accuracy:

No surprise here, but the Les Baer was by far the most accurate gun.

The big surprise (good) was how accurate the Beretta 92FS was. It had been years since I had fired one, and was very pleased with the performance. The person who loaned me the gun swears it is completely stock.

The Colt XSE felt very inconsistent compared to the Les Baer.

The HKs have the LEM V2 trigger which makes shooting nice groups very easy.

Photos (the lass is Lady Mortdecai):

JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1051721 - 11/03/17 04:57 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1051722 - 11/03/17 04:59 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I didn't take pictures of the AR's groups, but they were respectable. Here's the gun ...

#1051725 - 11/03/17 05:51 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
RN Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: CT
Nice shooting Lady Mortdecai!

Great shooting with the new LB...must have been a nice affirmation on that buy.

Add- was surprised to see the 92 in there...

Edited by RN (11/03/17 07:26 PM)
JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."

#1051726 - 11/03/17 08:30 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

The 92 was on loan from a friend. It was a pleasure to shoot.

#1051727 - 11/03/17 08:31 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

The LB is like every other LB I've fired ... scary accurate and tight.

#1051732 - 11/04/17 01:24 AM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
Sounds like Y'all had a good Dag Gary. Thank you for the reviews and pictures. I am surprised about the problems you are having with the Glocks. I thought they were rock solid reliable.
Countin the days till Retirement! wink JYD#105

#1051736 - 11/04/17 02:22 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Nation Wide
LOL, Glock quality has declined since they changed manufacturing processes. MIM parts and less than stellar quality control have made it hit or miss.

I have been lucky. All of mine are solid. I wouldn't carry them if they weren't. I have to wonder since all of mine are Blue label or department buy backs if the QC was a little better.

My newest one has been rock solid so far, and it is new production.

Unfortunately many manufacturers are trying to go cheap on parts and quality and make a profit on past successes. Sig comes to mind. Back in the day that was a dream gun. I wouldn't field the majority of them now.

JYD #113

Everyday I don't train, someone else does, and they are training to defeat me

#1051737 - 11/04/17 02:59 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
rth548 Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Western NC
I don't shoot mine as much as I should, but my Gen 3 G19 has been nothing but rock solid for me. The only stoppages I've ever had were in off-hand drills. I tend to limp wrist when I'm shooting lefty.

Resident Redneck
JYD #117

#1051738 - 11/04/17 04:39 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: MonkeyBomb]
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: MonkeyBomb
LOL, Glock quality has declined since they changed manufacturing processes. MIM parts and less than stellar quality control have made it hit or miss.

I have been lucky. All of mine are solid. I wouldn't carry them if they weren't. I have to wonder since all of mine are Blue label or department buy backs if the QC was a little better.

My newest one has been rock solid so far, and it is new production.

Unfortunately many manufacturers are trying to go cheap on parts and quality and make a profit on past successes. Sig comes to mind. Back in the day that was a dream gun. I wouldn't field the majority of them now.

Ditto.

When the first Gen 3 Glocks arrived (the kind that had the rough gray slide finish) they all seemed to work perfectly. I had a couple. Then the Gen 3 frying pan finish guns arrived. They usually worked well for the first 1000-1500rds and then developed ejection issues (at least the THREE G17, SIX G19 and TWO G26 I had all did). I bought several of the newest Gen 3 guns with the smooth / easily scratched gray finish recently. ALL have BTH/BTF and feeding / ejection issues. Glock cannot be saving much by switching to that dreaded dip MIM extractor, and they know the revised ejector design is problematic. I think they won't fix them because they want you to buy a Gen 4 or Gen 5 (both of which have their own issues).

The "infallible Glock" is a fallacy. In my opinion Glocks are a lot like AK47s ... without the reliability. Crappy ergonomics, short cut construction, and marginal accuracy. No thanks - I'm done with them.

Sig is the same. I carried German P226s and P228s for years. In fact, my Sig round count is probably second to my Glock round count. The Swiss/German guns were marvelous. Accuracy, and reliability were second to none. Then came the Exeter guns. Puke. I've had a laundry basket full of those that wouldn't work. I wouldn't take a Exeter gun for free.

Anyone reading this has to remember ... I'm not your typical American shooter. The average person rarely, if ever, shoots their guns. It isn't uncommon for me to shoot over 500 rounds in a single weekend. This reveals weaknesses very quickly.

Most gun manufacturers are now competiting on cost (not quality or innovation). They're also wagering that the American public will buy based on price and looks - not performance. It is cheaper to fix the few guns that actually see use than lose market share by producing a superior product at a higher price point.

There are a few companies that don't compete this way:

Dan Wesson
Heckler & Koch
Les Baer
Sig San (if you can find someone who is still importing the P210)
Wilson Combat

Heck, even Colt uses cast and MIM parts in their 1911s now.

#1051739 - 11/04/17 04:39 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: rth548]
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: rth548
I don't shoot mine as much as I should, but my Gen 3 G19 has been nothing but rock solid for me. The only stoppages I've ever had were in off-hand drills. I tend to limp wrist when I'm shooting lefty.

Do you happen to know the approximate round count? What are the three letters of your serial number? This will allow me to date it.

#1051740 - 11/04/17 04:49 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

HECKLER & KOCH

I bought my first polymer HK in 1994 (it was a first run USP 45). I've had dozens of polymer HKs since:

USP 45 V1
USP 45 Compact V1
USP 40 Compact LEM
P2000 40SW V3
P2000 9mm LEM
P2000 9mm V3
P30SK 9mm V3
HK45 V1
HK45 CT V1
HK45 Tactical V1
P30L 40SW LEM
P2000SK 9mm LEM

(I've had multiples of each).

I know I'm forgetting some, but you get the idea.

I've never, not once, had a HK malfunction.

LES BAER

I've had a few:

Custom Carry
Custom Carry Stainless
(2) UTC
UTC (with NFCS)
SRP (hard chrome with 1.5" guarantee)

Again, never a single malfunction, and these guns come from teh factory STUPID TIGHT. My current UTC is so tight you can't break the barrel-to-slide lockup by simply pulling the slide back. You have to "pop" the front of the gun to break the seal. It'll loosen up with use, but again ... they can figure out how to make a gun so tight it can't be hand manipulated ... but is 100% reliable ... while Glock makes a gun so loose it rattles but won't function.

#1051741 - 11/04/17 04:53 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

If society broke down, and "fighting in the streets" erupted I'd have a HK45 on my side as a back-up gun.

Since that is unlikely to happen, I'm more concerned with extreme accuracy. I want my daily gun to be as precise as possible. That's why you'll find a Baer on my side.

#1051742 - 11/04/17 05:03 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I finally reached a point in my life wherein I realized that no amount of "stuff" could fill the void Americans have (we're trained to fill our empty lives with consumerism).

This is why I've been actively selling off my gun and knife collection.

There came a time when I realized that "less is more". I'm very happily on my way to having very few guns, knives, and gear. However, everything I'm keeping is top shelf.

The days of buying guns like the Glock because internet hype has that they'll run 100,000 rounds without cleaning and will look new are over.

The reality is: guys like Gaston Glock are pricks. Google his behavior, and you'll rethink buying one of his plastic guns.

I want to support smaller, customer appreciative companies now. If you call Baer Custom and the gal on teh phone can't help with your inquiry - she'll likely send you up to Les himself. Good luck getting that arrogant snob Ed Brown to speak. His staff will just try to sell you over priced parts in an attempt to get their overpriced product to function. Bill Wilson still occasionally answers the phone. Surprisingly, HK (in spite of their internet reputation ... see my comment about Glocks and the internet) has great CS too. They've actually bumped me to their engineering department before.

Other companies that have given me good customer service included:

Springfield Armory (outstanding)
StreamLight (remarkable)
LWRC (good but not outstanding)
Colt (to a slightly lesser degree)

When I'm done my gun collection will be small, but respectable.

#1051743 - 11/04/17 05:09 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I was in a gun store yesterday (looking for a holster). A guy was buying a NEF shotgun, and bragging to the female shopkeeper that he has 48 guns at home. Said "I'll be in the dog house tonight ... I can't go out without coming home with another gun ... my [female dog] wife will be at me tonight".

I almost approached him for the way he degraded his wife, but realized a guy with 48 guns ... who is buying a $139 shotgun ... while the shelves are full of much higher quality options would not likely understand my issue with him.

You simply cannot fix stupid.

NOTE:
If all you can afford is a $139 shotgun - take no offense. He clearly can afford better if he, as he claims, has 48 guns at home.

#1051744 - 11/04/17 05:43 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Spider-Pig Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Republic of Texas
48 total? Shoot, I have that many Hi-Points!

Thanks for taking the time to post all that, Gary!

"Be still, Taggart!"

#1051745 - 11/04/17 07:20 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

The guy was about 4'-6" tall and 300 pounds. I suspect he's "compensating for other SHORT COMINGS".

#1051746 - 11/04/17 07:22 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Maybe that explains why his wife is such a grouch.

"Be still, Taggart!"

#1051747 - 11/04/17 08:33 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

[/url]

#1051750 - 11/05/17 01:48 AM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Little man syndrome. (Take it how ever you want). That is what was wrong (well one of them) with my wife's first husband and the reason he beat on her. Before he died you have NO idea how hard it was to not use him for a tent peg on a pup tent.

#1051751 - 11/05/17 01:49 AM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

One of my cheaper guns cost me $300.00. It is one of the best guns I have. It is a West German Manufactured Sig P225 that I wouldn't trade for anything.

LM is correct. A FEW guns I have just because. Others I have because they are good guns, at least for me and I believe they will last me through anything I will be putting them through.

I have 10 guns (Including my .177 RWS "Skunk Killer" Air Rifle that I would not hesitate to have/use in a truly survival situation.

Edited by SkunkHunter (11/05/17 01:02 AM)

#1051752 - 11/05/17 01:53 AM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

You only have one?

"Be still, Taggart!"

#1051753 - 11/05/17 01:02 AM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I was only talking about ONE at the time. Please see my post above yours Spidey. grin

#1051754 - 11/05/17 01:15 AM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I have what I consider Quality guns in what I feel are the most popular calibers from 20ga, .308, 5.56, 22, 45acp, 40S&W, 9mm, 380 and even 32acp.

They consist of wares from
Remington
Weatherby
Colt
Sturm Ruger
SIG
Walther
S&W
Beretta
Aim Point
Streamlight
Federal

Edited by SkunkHunter (11/05/17 01:52 AM)

#1051764 - 11/06/17 03:37 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
RN Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Never owned a CZ Gary?
JYD #109

#1051766 - 11/06/17 05:36 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I had a CZ27 in the 1980s. It was in bad shape when I bought it. The safety broke, twice.

I've had a CZ452 Varmint (22LR and 22WMR) and a CZ452 American (22LR).

I currently own a CZ 455 Stainless (22LR).

I've never fired a round through any of the CZ rifles. The one I own now is stainless so I actually plan on keeping it. No optic mounted yet so no rounds fired yet.

#1051767 - 11/06/17 05:39 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Almost forgot, I had several of the CZ52s (762 Tok) when they were imported. I've also had several CZ70s.

The CZ70 was a good gun, albeit very heavy for a 32.

#1051770 - 11/06/17 06:59 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
RN Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

I'm a fan boy admittedly, but I find my CZ 75bd and compact to be utterly reliable, highly accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Got a SP 01 fairly recently and looks to be more of the same.

My 452 22lr would be the last firearm I would sell I think.
JYD #109

#1051803 - 11/07/17 05:50 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

CZ, no doubt, makes a quality firearm. I have not, however, actually used them enough to justify my recommendation. As time progresses, this will likely change.

I would not mind having a CZ75 SA and/or Dan Wesson Valor. Both are highly regarded. The CZ75 is known to develop extraction problems as they age, but I have a coworker that reports he has not experienced this with his unit. He takes it to the range, at lunch, about once a week. Admittedly, he alternates between the 9mm upper half and a 22 conversion.

The CZ 452 is a marvelous rifle. I feel my 455 is on par although stainless.

CZ still maintains an air of "old world craftsmanship" in an era of "economically driven manufacturing". For that, they are to be commended!

#1051804 - 11/07/17 05:53 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I fully intend to supplement my 455 Stainless 22WMR with a Stainless 22LR. I would gladly part ways with my trusted Ruger 10/22 stainless before the CZ.

CZ's 452/455 line sets the standard for accuracy in a moderately priced* production rifle.

*NOTE: moderately priced is relative.

#1051809 - 11/07/17 09:56 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia
We had CZ rifles (and handguns) out here for many many years in great numbers before they were common in the US, as in from the late 40s early 50s. Out here they were for many years (till the 90s) sold as "Brno" rifles. My Mod 1 was dated 1952 I believe and the Mod2 I still have is 1982 (I got it in 83 as I recall) and would truly be one of the very last firearm i parted with. The 452 is simply an updated (mostly - to it's detriment I believe) and "Americanisation" of the Mod2. The Brno Fox in .22Hornet and .222Rem is probably the ultimate "walking around rifle", at the end of their production they also came in .223Rem and I really really regret not grabbing one (as I was in the trade at the time).

#1051823 - 11/08/17 08:36 AM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I'd love to find a 527 style, in 243, with nicely figured walnut and high gloss blue. If it had a 20" free floating sporter weight barrel AND iron sights ... it would be the perfect rifle for my wife.

I always wanted to get her a 243 when we owned our farm.

#1051830 - 11/08/17 09:03 AM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
rth548 Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Western NC
Originally Posted By: Lord Mortdecai

Do you happen to know the approximate round count? What are the three letters of your serial number? This will allow me to date it.

I'll check the serial number when I get home and get back on here, but the approximate round count is ~2k rounds.

Resident Redneck
JYD #117

#1051852 - 11/09/17 04:34 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: rth548]
Junk Yard Dog

your serial number? This will allow me to date it.

I'll check the serial number when I get home and get back on here, but the approximate round count is ~2k rounds. [/quote]

You've passed the round count in which I've witnessed the most ejection / extraction issues present themselves. You may very well have one that works.

#1051853 - 11/09/17 04:36 PM Re: 7 Handguns Range AAR [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

If its a Gen 3 it'll have the flawed 336 ejector, but might not have the awful dip MIM extractor.

You can pull the 30275 ejector from a Gen 4 ejector block and install it in your gun should the need arise. Don't try to install the whole block .. it won't fit.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >