Page 343 of 344 < 1 2 ... 341 342 343 344 >
Topic Options
#1051796 - 11/07/17 05:04 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Andy the Aussie]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
Originally Posted By: Andy the Aussie
Originally Posted By: RN
Am I alone in thinking the FAL is one fugly weapon?
...... that is where it gets personal... wink I actually think the FAL (or in fact it's product improved version, the L1A1) is the best looking of the post war battle rifles fielded. The SCAR looks like a mutated carp...

I have to side with Andy. The FAL is most visually appealing military rifle ever produced. The wood stocked guns are a masterful blend of "old world" and "new technology".

The FN Scar is a visual abomination. Between the "Ugh" boot stock, overly tall receiver, and stick barrel ... it is just plain ugly. Couple FN's inability to color match components (the stock, pistol grip, lower are all plastic ... and three shades of "tan" on the FDE guns. The receivers run from "gold" to "sick baby poop greenish").
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1051797 - 11/07/17 05:09 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I will have to disagree with the L1A1 being a product improved.

The real L1A1s I've experienced had folding charging handles and folding rear sights. Both of which slowed me down. The fixed handled Metric design is much quicker ... especially in low light with sweaty hands. The folding rear sight ... why?

Having said all of that ...

There are so many indigenous variations of the FAL it is hard to make blanket statements.

My personal favorites are:

German G1 with plastic handguards instead of the steel.
FNH 50.00

I do love the aesthetic of the first pattern Brit and Aussie L1A1 flash suppressor. That long browning is just beautiful. However, I've seen more than one banana peel .. again ... not a product improved wink

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1051798 - 11/07/17 05:15 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

These were mine at one time ...

#1051799 - 11/07/17 05:19 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Heres a few more that I've owned. No gun is repeated in these photos ...

#1051800 - 11/07/17 05:23 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Here's three more I had ...

#1051801 - 11/07/17 05:25 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Here's a couple more ...

#1051802 - 11/07/17 05:25 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I guess you can say I'm a fan.

I currently own one, and it is a license built Springfield Armory SAR-48. It would likely be the last gun I would sell.

#1051806 - 11/07/17 06:09 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig]
RN Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: CT
Oddly enough, the SCAR is more visually appealing to me. Although your FAL in the tan furniture looks more appealing than most I've seen I've seen Gary.

I feared mentioning what I did...figured with Andy it would be as close to insulting someone's child!

For my tastes, I think the M14 wins the looks award for military rifle.
JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."

#1051808 - 11/07/17 09:45 PM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Andy the Aussie Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia
Originally Posted By: RN

I feared mentioning what I did...figured with Andy it would be as close to insulting someone's child!
..... not at all mate, differing opinion and taste is what makes the world go round....but if you find a burning bag of dog poop on your front step.... laugh laugh wink

Originally Posted By: Lord Mortdecai

The real L1A1s I've experienced had folding charging handles and folding rear sights. Both of which slowed me down. The fixed handled Metric design is much quicker ... especially in low light with sweaty hands. The folding rear sight ... why?

I do love the aesthetic of the first pattern Brit and Aussie L1A1 flash suppressor. That long browning is just beautiful. However, I've seen more than one banana peel .. again ... not a product improved wink
..... The sights and charging handle were both conceived for jumping the rifle. The absolute best sights I have used on any variation of the FAL (to shoot with) were the Hythe type. I also squeezed my bases a little to tighten the fit.

The ABC Pattern FH is MUCH less prone to a banana peel issue than the long Browning version, that goes to the way the front of the slots are cut. It was certainly something that could happen with a hard run rifle (had one doing it while I was operating it but it also had over 30K rounds fired). The later 3 slot and opened Canadian FHs were even less prone and the pick of the lot IMHO wink the F1 FH, it was unheard of. Most of the ABC improvements were in manufacture process, adverse condition (sand cut carrier and corresponding receiver cuts) and being able to effect major repairs at a lower level. The British plastics are FAR more hardy than any other variety (in my world you take an all wood rifle to the range and one with Brit or Brit/Kiwi plastics into the field). New rifle to new rifle I firmly believe that your average ABC rifle (particularly the Aussies) will be more accurate, that is generally a factor of barrel production (Aussie in particular, more so if a BCF barrel was in the mix).

That said, I am really splitting hairs between all flavours of the rifle. The StG58 is probably my least favourite. Of the metric rifles, the 50:00 is truly hard to go past but I do find the Dutch versions most appealing, that's before I even venture to the Paras !!

Edited by Andy the Aussie (11/07/17 09:49 PM)

#1051814 - 11/08/17 02:10 AM Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
Originally Posted By: Lord Mortdecai
Originally Posted By: SkunkHunter
BUT, you must remember, that the Fuglys of the world have to work for a living. The Glams are the ones for show. Trust me, I know. I am Fugly and I've had to work all my life. Started hauling hay every summer when I was 14.

Randy, people can't see past those fairly wings so I wouldn't worry about it.

I started paying income taxes at age 10. I worked for a HVAC contractor (bending sheet metal for ductwork, installing insulation, etc)....and I'm one sexy doood. smirk Just ask me ... I'll tell you how hot I am grin Heck, just look at my avatar!

Women love the 'stash.

I think I'm gonna throw up. smile wink

I had at one time an L1A1 and Yeah I did like it, except for that dang carry handle. Oh well I don't have it any more so no use crying over sold Guns.
Countin the days till Retirement! wink JYD#105

Page 343 of 344 < 1 2 ... 341 342 343 344 >