header

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1052076 - 11/30/17 05:33 PM One Gun ... which would you take?
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
This forum has been slow lately, and my work has been unbearable. I need some relief so I'm starting this thread...

1) If you could only have one gun TODAY what would it be? This means during times of relative security and prosperity.

2) If you could only have one gun for TEOTWAWKI what would it be?
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1052077 - 11/30/17 05:42 PM Re: One Gun ... which would you take? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
RN Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: CT
My CZ 455. It's super accurate with almost any ammo and because carrying a lot of 22lr is so easy.
JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."

#1052078 - 11/30/17 05:43 PM Re: One Gun ... which would you take? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Here are my choices:

1) During these relatively safe times I would chose a handgun for my "only gun". We're not at war with ourselves so my chances of getting attacked by a drug addled bum are greater than needing to fight off a horde of North Koreans. I'd want a handgun that had decent capacity but also would last a lifetime. I have concerns about polymer frame long term durability. For this situation, I'd like to have a gun made of forged and tool steel (no plastic or MIM).

I'm going to pick: my Les Baer UTC 1911.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1052079 - 11/30/17 05:43 PM Re: One Gun ... which would you take? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

2) TEOTWAWKI could include a lot of different scenarios. There are two constants that will not change - no matter what the cause or implications of TEOTWAWKI. A) We need to eat. B) We need to defend ourselves. This leads me to think a Ruger 10/22 would be a good choice because I could carry around a couple thousand rounds of ammo easily if I needed to move about during the crisis. The 22LR round would be good for small game hunting and keeping undetermined criminals at bay. It wouldn't be particularly great for determined adversaries. However, 25 rounds of 22 is still formidable. A shotgun would also work although the ammo weight and size are a limiting factor.

Since #2 stipulates "TEOTWAWKI" I'm going to assume some sort of apocalypse. Therefore, being able to store and carry a magnitude of ammo is paramount.

I'm going to select: my Ruger 10/22 Stainless / Laminate Stock with Leupold VX3 1.75-6x Scope in QD Rings (and factory barrel mounted iron sights in place). On 1.75 power I can use the rifle like a CQB rifle. On 6x I can hunt small game. As a stainless / laminated rifle it will stand up to poor maintenance.

#1052080 - 11/30/17 05:43 PM Re: One Gun ... which would you take? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Ray Settanta Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: New England, USA
Today, my flintlock 10 gauge smoothbore. Because it is fun to use for hunting and competition.

TEOTWAWKI, an AR-15. Because of availability of parts and ammo.
JYD #182

#1052081 - 11/30/17 05:46 PM Re: One Gun ... which would you take? [Re: RN]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: RN
My CZ 455. It's super accurate with almost any ammo and because carrying a lot of 22lr is so easy.

Excellent choice!!!

I was getting ready to add my "Runner Up" post which would include:

A) My CZ 455 Stainless (22LR) with Leupold VX3 1.75-6x
B) My Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle (18" Stainless / Laminate 308 Win) with Leupold IER 1.5-5x
C) My Springfield Armory SAR-48 FAL
D) My Benelli M2 Shotgun

#1052082 - 11/30/17 05:48 PM Re: One Gun ... which would you take? [Re: Ray Settanta]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: Ray Settanta
Today, my flintlock 10 gauge smoothbore. Because it is fun to use for hunting and competition.

TEOTWAWKI, an AR-15. Because of availability of parts and ammo.

Flintlock smoothbore. I did not see that coming! Very fascinating choice!

#1052083 - 11/30/17 05:53 PM Re: One Gun ... which would you take? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I feel like I've gone through another firearms metamorphosis in the last year. Gun hobbyists are very cyclical. I've grown less concerned about magazine capacity and having the most contemporary design. I've started to think about guns in terms of long term viability which has caused me to gravitate toward "older" designs crafted from "more durable" (arguable point) materials like steel and laminated wood in lieu of plastic and plastic.

As a result, I'm viewing my 1911 and GSR in very high regards. I am not now, nor will I ever be, conducting dynamic entries or high value rescues. I'm more likely to deal with a meth tweaker than anything else. A solid bolt action is very romantic. In a "grid up" world my need for "force projection" is zero.

The premise of this thread is a little ridiculous, because even in a "grid down" world you could easily have a long gun and handgun. In a two gun "TEOTWAWKI" situation I'd pick:

A) Ruger Stainless MkIII 6" Barrel with factory open sights and Leupold 2x EER handgun scope in QD rings.

B) Springfield Armory SAR-48 FAL

#1052087 - 12/01/17 02:00 AM Re: One Gun ... which would you take? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
OH man, I guess I will have to lapse back to a much earlier post somewhere when I said a 22lr. Yes it isn't a super sexy destroy anything in my way mega blaster, but it IS a reliable "game Getter" and there are no telling how many deer have been killed with the "lowly" rimfire.

That being said, IF we are talking a TWO gun battery, well once again a 22 would be in the mix. Probably a Ruger 10/22 for it's size (yes I know a handgun would be "Handier") but the carbine would be more versatile I feel as it would lend itself more to hunting AND SD in a pinch IF needed).

Now if it is a TWO gun battery it gets a LOT tougher. I WANT to say a shotgun, and yes, preferably in 12ga (more ammo choices in shotsize/slugs AND power factor). BUT in reality probably a .223/5.56. The ammo weight/round factor is just two great to pass up PLUS it will also work as a great hunting and SD weapon and you can carry a lot of 5.56 as compared to 12ga weight wise.

NOT what I would like to have, but I feel the best choices for the scenario.
JYD#105

#1052195 - Yesterday at 07:40 AM Re: One Gun ... which would you take? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
rth548 Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Western NC
Going with guns that I currently own:

#1 Glock 19.
#2 Ruger Charger pistol. Proven 10/22 action in a long handgun, uses 10/22 mags and accessories.

Edited by rth548 (Yesterday at 07:42 AM)

Resident Redneck
JYD #117

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >