header

Page 121 of 122 < 1 2 ... 119 120 121 122 >
Topic Options
#1052008 - 11/24/17 10:06 AM Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
I ordered a new Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle (Model 6822 ... 18" stainless 308 with laminated stock) on Wednesday.

Ruger's Description ... CLICK ME

Here's why:

In 2011 I bought one of the first 16" barreled blued guns (Model 6803) available. I posted about it here ...

My original Gunsite Scout Rifle post ... CLICK ME

My comments six years ago included:

A) The gun would benefit from an 18" barrel;
B) The gun should be stainless.

Because of the above issues I sold the 16" blued gun.

Well, Ruger must read SYKCO forums because they released an 18" stainless option about a year ago.

Recently, I found a stellar deal on an used 18" Stainless Gunsite Scout so I bought it as a way to test the concept with my desired refinements. I finally had a chance to take it to the range on Wednesday. Here are my comments:

1) The gun is superbly constructed. It "feels" like a rifle that could survive the Battle of Stalingrad. It is overbuilt in a very correct manner.

2) The gun works, superbly. It feeds and ejects with authority. It is very accurate. The sighting arrangement is perfect for a rifle of this type.

3) The gun is about as perfect a "one rifle" rifle as I could conceive. I love the adjustable stock, mid-weight barrel, flash hider, mauser action, sight + scout rail arrangement, stainless construction. My only minor compliant is the single stack magazines, but honestly after using this rifle I understand why Ruger went with a AICS box mag.

4) The Ruger polymer mags are an improvement over the Ruger steel mags. I know, I'm the "I hate PMags" guy. However, in this ONE INSTANCE I actually prefer the plastic magazine. They feed smoother, are much smaller and lighter, and come with dust covers.

My overall impression:

I would not hesitate to grab this version of Ruger's Scout rifle while running out the door to: defend the homeland; put venison on the table; ward off predators attacking my flock; etc.

So why did I order a new rifle when I already had one?

Well, I bought my used gun for $625. The used gun included the box, manual, one Ruger polymer magazine, Ruger scope rings, the original scout sights + rail, lock, etc. However, it was used (owner claimed about 200rds fired ... I think it was less, but the gun does show handling marks. He was probably a hunter). The used gun was a SCREAMING deal. However, I fell in love with the rife at the range and wanted a brand new one since I see this thing going to the grave with me. I ordered the new gun online for $839 + shipping.

I plan on selling the used rifle at the next gunshow for $625. If it doesn't sell ... I'll just keep it for a "trunk gun".

Ten rounds of 308 is serious medicine. Ten rounds from an infallible Mauser built from nearly incorruptible stainless and with modern features ... absolute home run Ruger!

JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1052009 - 11/24/17 03:15 PM Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia
If I didn't have *my* Sako in .308 I would have most probably had a GSR by now. It would make some sense as my SSG now runs on AICS magazines. Ruger's biggest issue is inconsistent QC on these I believe (Remington is suffering some of the same). That is a big issue to me here as I cannot simply return it for a replacement of the same (without a drawn out process with Police and paperwork) till I get a good one. My own experience with the Ruger made/marked magazines were that they were not to the same quality as AI made/marked ones. Some said Ruger were having AI make them but I don't see it. My SSG metal work was built around the AI magazine to quite specific tolerances. With my AI magazines it was fine, with the Ruger jobbies it sat a few mm lower and as a result the bolt could miss the cartridge base on the feeding cycle. I have yet to try MagPul versions but they are only 2/3s the price of AI so I intend to !!!

I followed the Scout concept from when Cooper started wrting about it more prolifically in the 80s and have been intrigued since..!!!!!

What kind of groups are you getting with what ammunition Gary ?? You may still force me into spending some of my discretionary funds....LOL

#1052011 - 11/24/17 04:03 PM Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
Originally Posted By: Lord Mortdecai
Congrats on the shotgun. I figured you could find something you liked for under $1000.

I'm told leopard print heels DO go with everything. Every gal should have at least one pair.

Leopard print! I never thought of those. Zebra might work too. blush
JYD#105

#1052015 - 11/24/17 09:22 PM Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1052016 - 11/24/17 09:25 PM Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Andy,
The Ruger steel magazines are made by Accurate Mag. My first GSR (circa 2011) had several of the steel mags. They all wobbled. I bought one steel mag for the used stainless gun. It wobbles too. The polymer mags fit perfectly.

I only tested 1985 surplus Radway Green in the used 18" stainless gun. I'll test much better ammo when the new rifle arrives.

On Wednesday it was 29 degrees, and windy.

I fired these groups at 100 yards. I was standing, but using a towel draped over a wobbly piece of wood to support the rifle. Here are the results with open sights:

A 308 case is 2.15" long (shown in pics for reference).

The same ammo produces about the same size groups from my Scar-17 with TA11 ACOG (3.5x) from an improvised rest.

#1052017 - 11/24/17 09:30 PM Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

I am debating on adding an IER or EER scope. My eyes aren't as acute as they were 20 years ago. A little magnification would probably go a long way toward tightening the groups. Mounted in the "scout" location ... it wouldn't slow me down.

At 100 yards that human silhouette looks like a black smudgy blob.

#1052019 - 11/24/17 09:59 PM Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia
Yes, with the EER optics is how the scout concept shines. RG is pretty good surplus as well.

#1052020 - 11/24/17 10:05 PM Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

RG is good surplus but I've never found it to be more accurate than other commonly available surplus (South African and Port).

I'd like to try some quality commercial ammo from a steady rest.

At some point I'll likely mount a 2.5 or LPV on the new rifle. If I end up with both ... I'd leave the "used" gun open sighted as it has a few bumps and bruises already so I can see it being a nice "brush gun" or "trail companion".

#1052021 - 11/24/17 10:09 PM Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Offline
Junk Yard Dog

One aspect that will negatively impact the rifle's open sight capabilities is the very fat and tall front blade. I would prefer a much thinner blade a la M14. The GSR has a Ruger typical over built front sight. I like the protective wings ... which could allow a more precise blade inside.

This is all academic, because the GSR is not intended to be a match rifle. If Ruger was concerned with such matters they'd free float the barrel. As it is, the barrel channel touches the barrel.

In my experience, Ruger doesn't make the most accurate rifles. They make rugged rifles.

#1052108 - 12/04/17 10:37 AM Re: What have you BOUGHT lately? [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Ray Settanta Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: New England, USA
Picked up a Boyt Shell Pouch and some shooting glasses for trapshooting from Cabela's yesterday. They had the best prices on the web and also a 5% Military discount. A very good deal!
JYD #182

Page 121 of 122 < 1 2 ... 119 120 121 122 >