Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 383 1 2 3 4 5 382 383
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: stansbrew] #208008 02/22/08 08:33 AM
mhr Offline
Scrapper
Scrapper
For StansBrew and anyone else passing through WA state, FYI on the King County regs...

The county does not have a 3" limit to the best of my understanding. The county is covered under state law which states, "It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any [knife] apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

The only place with a different legal situation is the City of Seattle (and who wants to go to that side of the lake?) which prohibits (can not carry on your person) as follows:

=======
Seattle Municipal Code
The following definitions apply in this chapter:
A. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.
B. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight-edged razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.
=======

Better watch that X-acto... it is a fixed blade and therefore illegal to possess within city limits!

Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: mhr] #208009 02/22/08 09:52 AM
Wiggitty Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
i used to cycle through a variety of folders until I picked up my emerson. I've carried it everyday since then. I chose the CQC-10. I absolutely love love love it.

Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Government Agency. JYD.45
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold *DELETED* [Re: Wiggitty] #208010 02/22/08 12:11 PM
Prince of Peace Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Post deleted by Prince of Peace

Some people just never learn.

JYD #44
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Prince of Peace] #208011 02/22/08 12:26 PM
Jim Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I've posted mine before, but I carry a Kershaw Leek (model 1660G10ST -- G10, s30v stonewashed combo-edge blade) as my primary folder. I also carry a John Greco Whisper folder, which is a very heavy-duty knife, although I haven't encountered anything at the office that the Leek couldn't handle.

I used to carry a Puma (zytel-handled) Protec and tried to go back to it recently -- I was concerned that someone might complain about the assisted-opening Leek, but due to it's thicker blade, the Protec simply didn't slice as well as the Leek so I've just tried to be low-key when opening it. It's funny because I remembered that Puma as cutting so well, but it just didn't stand up well in comparison.

I've wanted a Blade-Tech M.L.E.K. for a while, and bought one last night -- I'm not sure I'll ever carry it, but it was being auctioned for a good cause (BF posted some links to fund-raising auctions for Tony Metsala, a knifemaker who lost his shop in a fire). I got a much better price on the auction than I expected (probably because the West-coast crowd was still at work when it ended). I'd have been happy to have gotten it at $20 more than the final price, so I sent that along too. I don't give to a lot of things, and am even offended when people at work push for donations to their favorite charity, but I figure that if I ever find myself in real need, perhaps a few bucks at just the right time might help turn things around for me -- banking a little Karma once in a while may or may not make a difference, but it can't hurt.

I noticed PoP's post after I committed mine. I'd say that you're technically correct, but since Scrap Yard doesn't manufacture folding knives, I don't see this as being about competitor's knives. Cold One or Private Klink will lock the thread down if they disagree, but for the moment, it's just a bunch of folks talking about their hobby, so I don't think they'll mind.

JYD #60
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Jim] #208012 02/22/08 12:40 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
While I have a number of folders that I use more often than I use any fixed blade knife, including SYKCO knives, I don't feel that it is within the rules unless the folders are being shown in a comparison to a scrap yard knife, or for use in a combo, or in some way related to Scrap Yard Knives. These are some pretty pictures and I enjoy seeing them, but let's at least try to abide by the rules as posted. I used to post pictures of all kinds of knives here, but we have been asked not to discuss other manufacturer's knives here except in comparisons or chop offs. I invite you all to join Blade Forums and post over there under General Knife Discussion. Just my .02.

Horned, dangerous, and off my medication.
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Horn Dog] #208013 02/22/08 12:58 PM
Wiggitty Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
well let's bring the discussion back to within the rules. Who has a rat trap out there? how does it stack up against some of the more popular folders? I've seen a couple in the aftermarket and wonder if they are of the same quality that the rest of the busse family fixed blades.

Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Government Agency. JYD.45
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Wiggitty] #208014 02/22/08 02:15 PM
Jim Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I've got a couple Rat Traps from last year's Knob Creek; they're a good, solid knife. They're a bit larger than I normally prefer in a folder, but are very flat so that they ride OK in the pocket. The blade is S30V and easy to open; it's a liner-lock with G10 handles. Some folks don't care for the fact that extra pocket clip mounting holes (to change the carry position) weren't provided. I'd say that if you like a large folder, they were well worth the $138.95 (+6% KY sales tax) I paid, but I wouldn't pay the $200+ I've seen them go for on the secondary market.

Although I said that they were well worth the price, I'd have probably passed if they'd been released by another manufacturer; for me, the attraction was and remains that the Rat Trap is a Busse Kin knife.

JYD #60
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Jim] #208015 02/22/08 03:47 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
...I noticed PoP's post after I committed mine. I'd say that you're technically correct, but since Scrap Yard doesn't manufacture folding knives, I don't see this as being about competitor's knives. Cold One or Private Klink will lock the thread down if they disagree, but for the moment, it's just a bunch of folks talking about their hobby, so I don't think they'll mind.

Personally, Jim, I like it wide open. We used to discuss just about anything on this forum. But the crackdown came and I was just giving a reminder, so we could continue. I love hearing about folders, axes, machetes, flashlights, and all of it. I think this is a good and informative thread. So if somebody who owns a Rat Trap will give us his impressions of it compared to similar folders, I think we will be covered, since it was a knife offered by a Busse company. I am sorry if the tone of my post sounded too negative, but Dan did say that general knife discussion should be done on another forum.

Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Horn Dog] #208016 02/22/08 04:59 PM
scrappy Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I like folders but I have a "million" slicers. I would really like a scrap yard heavy duty folder. I agree POP, although I carry them more they need to be related to the yard in some way like vic's comparisons to really discuss.

Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: scrappy] #208017 02/22/08 05:14 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Well we can compare folders to small fixed blade scrappers and busses. While no folder is truly a hard use knife, IMO, most of us just use our knives in daily life just to cut things like packages containing small fixed blades we seldom use! I would love a Scrapper folder or Swamp Rat. Look how much more compact they are than their fixed blade counterparts.These are just a few of my folders. As you can see, most are not "high end", like Sharp's beauties. I do have a Benchmade Skirmish framelock that is pretty rugged, but a bit heavy and bulky for my pocket.
[Linked Image from i173.photobucket.com]
Once opened up, they are about as big as the Busse Meaner Street or SS4.
There is no way they are as tough, but they will cut.

Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Horn Dog] #208018 02/22/08 05:28 PM
diceman Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Aaaah, the SS4... I got to look at WD's the other day, and I really like it. It was one of those that I've tried to push out of my mind as they're so hard to find and when you do they break the bank... If the next couple of Scrapper releases don't speak to me, I'll be trying to scrounge up an SS4 - if the funds allow!

JYD#9
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: diceman] #208019 02/22/08 05:37 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I really would like to see Dan bring them back. The SS4 handle fits my hand better than the YK or DM handle.

Page 3 of 383 1 2 3 4 5 382 383