Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Tent for winter camping [Re: DotD] #381840 02/01/10 03:34 AM
JavaDog Offline
Mongrel
Mongrel
One bag inside the other works well, especially if one is larger - like a mummy winter bag inside a rectangular lighter bag. You want to try to maintain the loft. Sometimes I put a wool or fleece blanket inside the bag for that reason. But, getting some good insulation under you is a must.

When I said to change clothes, I usually just put on a single base layer of poly tops and bottoms (never cotton), some wool socks and a new hat. I have a mid layer nearby if needed. These all become my next day wear, then get changed again at bed time.

Again, the great thing about car camping is that you can take more stuff than you need. I usually have a couple extra bags and blankets for any scouts who might need them.

Oh, if you want, get some hand and feet warmers. I know some troops that hand them out like candy. We don't but they are nice to have if really needed. You can also put one in a sock and stick it down the end of your sleeping bag.

Have fun!

Just got back from camping with the Scouts in cheapo 2/3-season tents. Went down to 5 degrees.

For car camping...bring a second bag. Can't hurt to have it. You can always put it under you. Having good ground insulation is key.

Change ALL of the clothes that you will be wearing to bed. Everying - top, bottom, socks, hat, gloves... This helps alot.

Next day, weather permitting, open up your tent and hang your open sleeping bag on a line to remove the night's moisture.

I have one of those ground pads that are self-inflating. Roll them out and
open the valve. In about 15 minutes, they are inflated and provide about 1 1/2
to 2 inches of air inflated space between me and the ground.

Nice idea about the second bag. I have two that are roughly the same size,
and was thinking that I could stick one inside the other. That would increase
the insulation factor.

What do you think Javadog?

Good thinking about the clothes as well. I hadn't thought of changing the
clothes, but see the sense in it. If you've been in the other clothes all
day, the inner layers will most likely be damp from the day's sweat.
Good idea to put on dry clothing before bedding down for the night.

Thanks for the ideas!

Re: Tent for winter camping [Re: JavaDog] #381841 02/06/10 03:01 AM
DotD Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
One bag inside the other works well, especially if one is larger - like a mummy winter bag inside a rectangular lighter bag. You want to try to maintain the loft. Sometimes I put a wool or fleece blanket inside the bag for that reason. But, getting some good insulation under you is a must.

When I said to change clothes, I usually just put on a single base layer of poly tops and bottoms (never cotton), some wool socks and a new hat. I have a mid layer nearby if needed. These all become my next day wear, then get changed again at bed time.

Again, the great thing about car camping is that you can take more stuff than you need. I usually have a couple extra bags and blankets for any scouts who might need them.

Oh, if you want, get some hand and feet warmers. I know some troops that hand them out like candy. We don't but they are nice to have if really needed. You can also put one in a sock and stick it down the end of your sleeping bag.

Have fun!

Lots of things to try.
I've gotten a summer mummy bag, and also have 2 rectangular bags.
Going to get a surplus wool blanket this weekend and try putting it
between the inner and outer bags.

Thanks again JD !!!

Dawgs travel in packs; Don't mess with the pack JYD#62 Dave
Re: Tent for winter camping [Re: DotD] #381842 02/09/10 04:53 AM
myketheknife Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
When the temps.get below freezing,I wrap a disposable hand warmer in a sock and into my boots at night when I go to bed.Works great and there is nothing like warm boots in the morning.Helps to dry them out also.

SYKCO JYD#112
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it.
Re: Tent for winter camping [Re: myketheknife] #381843 02/09/10 10:16 AM
somberbear Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
be careful not to constrict the loft of the bag... i found a wool blanket was warmer under me before teh cold air pads.... and its loft is hard to squish out....

another idea is putting a heat sheat under you... it oddly works well ... maybe you can scrounge one or two... i also found you can use em as a fire reclector if you put em a couple feet away from the fire...

personaly i would build wind breaks and then build the tarp into the windbreaks. dig down and put my dome tent inside with the ground cloth etc. then use every one elses idea... as well.

its not easy campin that cold...... i would let ya use my portable electric blanket and jump battery if you were closer lol.

JYD:#97 / RC RP#211
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3