Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Maxpedition Larkspur messenger bag #390814 02/18/10 12:47 AM
Wiggitty Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Does anyone have/ use the maxpedition larkspur?

Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Government Agency. JYD.45
Re: Maxpedition Larkspur messenger bag [Re: Wiggitty] #390815 02/19/10 03:57 AM
myketheknife Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Sory no I don't.Do you,or are you thinking of getting one?

SYKCO JYD#112
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it.
Re: Maxpedition Larkspur messenger bag [Re: myketheknife] #390816 03/09/10 07:14 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I don't have a Larkspur, but use to carry a similar bag for my EDC. Ultimately I didn't care for it, because if called upon to actually use the gear in my EDC I might be running - and the shoulder bag design slams into your side like a pendulum.

One caution on MaxPed products: they all seem larger in the pictures than they are in "real life". I recently bought my wife a Octa waist pack for use while hiking and camping. It looked large enough in the pictures, but is so small a USGI canteen cup can barely be squeezed inside the main compartment.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Maxpedition Larkspur messenger bag [Re: Endeavour Morse] #390817 03/09/10 08:24 PM
tonester Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
there are a lot of good reviews of the larkspur and other maxpedition bags on youtube

JYD #114

"Good things come to those who wait for everything to pass." - OTR
Re: Maxpedition Larkspur messenger bag [Re: Wiggitty] #390818 03/10/10 03:34 AM
R
Rooster Offline
Pound Puppy
Pound Puppy
R
Does anyone have/ use the maxpedition larkspur?

No, but I have several Maxpedition bags ... a Monsoon and Lunada, both gearslingers. Two fatboys, one regular and one type S because of my left handed wife. And I've got what looks like a Malaga, but I know it's not, it's one they don't even make any more and they redesigned to be what is now the Malaga ... I just can't remember the flippin' name of this bag, I'm holding it, and they do not put the actual name of the bag on their bags. Anyway, I think it was called the Typhoon when I bought it but who the heck knows. Oh, and my wife just reminded me that she bought me a Colossus for Christmas last year. Wow. Not a good investment Mom.

By the looks of this we must be Maxpedition fans, right?

Wrong. They suckered me into this. They actually make quality stuff in terms of material and stitching, but they always seem to disappoint me. I mean their stuff never fits just right. It never rides just right. I can't put my finger on it but I know there will be no more maxpedition stuff coming into this hacienda.

With that said, I did look at their messenger bags because I needed something rugged to tote my laptop around in ... I don't know what it is about every single maxpedition bag. I personally think the problem is with the shoulder straps on every thing they do. But anyway, I ended up going with a Samsonite leather messenger bag instead ... which they do not make anymore, but there are others out there like it to be had.

Leather is the way to go for a messenger bag. I carry concealed with mine, a SIG P229 DAK SAS and three extra mags. Plus my laptop, plus all kinds of other stuff and I get a lot of compliments. Leather is classy in a messenger bag. The best looking one out there imho, is the Floto (see below). We've got a whole bunch of that guy's luggage we ordered off of ebay up in NYC, and it is all some of the finest made anywhere at reasonable prices for what it is. That bag below should be $600.00 but it goes for under $200.00. You'll pay over $100.00 for a maxpedition messenger bag I guarantee you that.

[Linked Image from briefcase.com]

If not leather I really liked the Timbuk 2 bags. Now those are some well designed bags. Not particularly good looking imho, but well well designed. And SOLO's "At Ease" bag is one of the best values for the dollar out there imho and they have better colors that Timbuk 2. I almost ended up with one of those SOLOs had I not stumbled across the Samsonite on sale at Best Buy. But there are a jillion options out there - yet if it were me, I'd stay away from the Maxpedition. But that's just me. We call them blister bags around here because ever single one of the darn things will rub a blister on the side of our necks ... I'm talking a college daughter, an 11 year old son and my wife and I and we are seriously outdoors people.

PS: Whoever typed above that Maxpedition bags seem larger in the pictures than they are in real life hit on something very important that I failed to mention before but, it has always been a major sticking point for us. The bags look good in pictures. They are the best looking bags you'll ever see in pictures. But I'm telling you, there is just something about the darn things that are not kosher when you try to put them to use. And without a doubt, they are all too small imho.

We do use ours (maxpedition bags.) for deer hunting however. MY son and wife and me. They can't do much harm to us between the truck and our stands and they are about the right size for what we needed for deer hunting. The others are trunk bags for bugging out in an absolute emergency from office or something - otherwise they'll probably never get used again. And the hidden "conceled carry" compartments are a joke.

Re: Maxpedition Larkspur messenger bag [Re: Rooster] #390819 03/10/10 05:46 PM
imaginefj Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Want to hear some good news???

I bought two, well three actually commercial sewing machines at an auction! One is an old Singer and one is a SUNCO by DaeWoo. The last is actually the type for sewing up feed sacks or fertilizer bags etc. It was in the lot so I got too. I will be getting them serviced and then try my hand at making a few very basic packs. Now all I need is a good source of canvas!

Join the NRA JYD #69 If a 6 turned out to be 9 Join the NRA