header

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1037057 - 01/21/16 03:13 AM Re: My PSK & Get-Home-Bag (Lots of Pics) [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: South Carolina Y'all
I found a great place to buy 100% wool blankets too: Alpaca4less.com

I bought a king sized Alpaca wool blanket for my California King bed, which is a bit larger than a traditional king sized bed, and it fits amazingly well. We have about 20-25" tucked under the mattress and it's still long enough to comfortably cover the pillows. It's wide enough to drape 12-15" over the sides of the bed too.

I like sleeping in the cold so I crack a bedroom window even in the winter. I turn into a furnace when I sleep, much to my wife's delight, 'cause she hates the cold. When the temps drop into the 60's, she's breaking out the thermals.

This wool blanket, along with a sheet and a very light top blanket, keeps her toasty and me cool. I got her a mattress heater for Christmas a few years ago that she uses every night, but it's down to the lowest setting with this wool blanket.

The offering from this company are hit and miss, so if you see what you want, grab it, it may not be there next time you check. They ran some amazing discounts in December, so I got a bunch of Alpaca wool hats for Christmas stocking stuffers. Every one of the five people that received a hat raved about how comfortable and warm the alpaca wool is. I guess I should have got one for myself!

#1037058 - 01/21/16 03:17 AM Re: My PSK & Get-Home-Bag (Lots of Pics) [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: South Carolina Y'all
Skunk, I'm 44-46" at the waist and 56" at the chest, so I always have problems with clothes.

That's another reason I like Duluth Trading, they have a well stocked Big and Tall section.

#1037059 - 01/21/16 03:55 AM Re: My PSK & Get-Home-Bag (Lots of Pics) [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
I remember reading about your Blanket post and checked them out. Yeah they got some good buys. Patty and I both like it cool when we sleep so we just use a thin top blanket from Wally world and a throw down from our waist (sometimes) down to our toes. A lot of the time it is just from the knees down.
Countin the days till Retirement! wink JYD#105

#1037081 - 01/21/16 11:37 PM Re: My PSK & Get-Home-Bag (Lots of Pics) [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Southern Ohio
This is an AWESOME THREAD
Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

#1037097 - 01/22/16 08:18 AM Re: My PSK & Get-Home-Bag (Lots of Pics) [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
My original post is almost six years old, and a few things have changed. If I find time, I'll compile a new set of pictures and a revised list of gear.

Its a good idea to inspect gear periodically.
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

#1040832 - 06/06/16 12:23 PM Re: My PSK & Get-Home-Bag (Lots of Pics) [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I was talking to Gary about some stuff and I asked him about some packs and stuff.

He said that he and his Bride both carry a VERY portable PSK. Mine presently consists of the Maxped Fatty Organizer as described in the Malaga/Fatty thread.

He also said they use the Maxped Sitka as a GHB. GREAT choice! I went and looked at them for the size and found this out.

We both use the Maxped Fatty (thanks for the tip Gary!)
They use the Sitka whereas I use the Malaga.

The Sitka comes in at 940 cubic inches and the Malaga at 700. I PERSONALLY prefer the Malaga because the strap (top attachment point) is in the center of the pack NOT off to one side as is the Sitka. For me this just allows more versatility as you can configure the Malaga to carry over either shoulder.

Being a Gear Hoarder, I would even pack the kitchen sink if the bag were bigger. But being limited I had to pick and choose carefully (I hope). There you have my reasons for the smaller bag. AND by never (well almost) being more than 30 miles from home I hope the malaga will suffice. We makes our choices and we takes our chances.

I also have the Maxped Condor II (1400 cu in). It would make a fantastic GHB, allowing you to carry more stuff, but as I said above... It would even suffice for a LITE BOB, allowing you to travel faster thereby saving more time and supplies so you could get "resupplied" in some way than if you were carrying a full size 3 day or larger pack. Now don't get me wrong, I feel a 3 day assault size bag is the MINIMUM for a good BOB, but sometimes we can't always get what we want. smile

That said, I DO have a Three day assault pack, NOT the three day assault Plus I wish I had, but it's big enough to carry the essentials plus some "Quality of life" items, that will differ for each of us. Meaning something to allow us to "Relax", something to just occupy our minds and allow us to not think about pure survival for a small period of time. A stress reliever/reducer.

Well there you have it. Hopefully this will in some small way help you out either to get started or get you to thinking about your SHTF situations.

Skunk, the UNPROVEN survival expert. But I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. smile wink

Edited by SkunkHunter (06/06/16 10:47 PM)

#1045390 - 11/06/16 07:28 AM Re: My PSK & Get-Home-Bag (Lots of Pics) [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Well my GHB/MINI BOB is inna house. It's time to switch out for winter wear. I've already got the wool blanket I bought in the Jeep and spare wool socks, sock hat gloves and other items ready for winter. Still haven't gotten a set of wool pants though. That's really the only thing lacking. I have all the clothing items in wool (except for the previously mentioned pants) ready to go and a good set of winter boots. I've got emergency space blanket and poncho (along with an all weather space blanket and full poncho) along with all the normally thought of "Survival" gear to keep me safe in case of a winter mishap.

Edited by SkunkHunter (11/06/16 07:30 AM)

#1051595 - 10/27/17 02:23 AM Re: My PSK & Get-Home-Bag (Lots of Pics) [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

Well Dogs, it's that time of the year again. YUP, time to change out from summer concerns to the Fall/Winter "Survival/GHB" mindset. I've got to go through my bag and remove some summer only items and replace them with winter items. SOME things of course will remain in the bag, but others will be removed only to be replaced with items suitable for Winter Unexpected encounters.

#1051596 - 10/27/17 02:37 AM Re: My PSK & Get-Home-Bag (Lots of Pics) [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Junk Yard Dog

I have several bags/packs to pick from but I don't really trust any but my Maxped/511 items for this possibly live saving task of getting ready for winter.
I have a Malaga (11 liter bag) that is great for day duty and light GHB tasks. I have a Condor II (23 liter) for more extended periods and a GG 3 day assault pack for even longer periods.

BUT I am wanting something between the Malaga and Condor II specifically for winter as I will be adding more bulky winter gloves wool socks/Beanie hat and other winter associated gear along with the normal health/hygiene items. What kind of suggestions do Y'all have? Remember, MORE than 11 liters but LESS than 23.

#1051612 - 10/28/17 04:53 PM Re: My PSK & Get-Home-Bag (Lots of Pics) [Re: Lord Mortdecai]
Lord Mortdecai Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Silverdale Manor
Just use your Condor, but don't overstuff it.
JYD #123 formerly known as ARCHITECT.

I am Lord Charlie Mortdecai. And this is a little bit of magic is my mustache...

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >