Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Survival - Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be? [Re: ragingbull] #456 09/10/06 12:15 PM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Survival --- better than the alternative ! Tom

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Survival - Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be? [Re: Private Klink] #457 09/11/06 09:11 PM
mtnclimber Offline
Pound Puppy
Pound Puppy
...any day above ground is better than any day below.

Re: Survival - Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be? [Re: mtnclimber] #458 09/12/06 01:11 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Pooch
Pooch
I have always looked at survival differently, in fact I used to call myself a survivalist until I looked it up on the net. It seems everyone assosciates survivalist with "nutjob who is packin' guns and bombs"
My view of survival is to get me through a couple days in the wilderness until I can be rescured. I like to practice spark based firemaking and shelter construction as my primary skills. I also like to practice constructing traps, primative fishing and whittling wood tools. I agree that to many people get caught in the romance of survival and think its adrenaline rush.
As far as the SHTFEOTWASWKI scenario, I am losely prepared for it but most likely if we are in that situation we will be dealing with radioactive environments and contaminated food/water supplies. Even those who think they are prepared will only be able to survive in that environment a short period of time.
Just my .02

I'm a crazy rabid squirrel and I want my cookies!
Re: Survival - Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be? [Re: Rabid Squirrel] #459 09/12/06 07:26 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I think the concept of survival depends on each individual's particular views. What might be a minor inconvenience to one person may be a total catastrophe to another. It's always interesting to see peoples' reaction to events such as hurricanes, etc. The folks in the path of Katrina certainly reacted differently, area and state to state. While some people helped solve problems involving survival, others created even more problems. Some people heeded warnings and had preparations in place, while others simply ignored the warnings.
Personally, I like ragingbull's approach ! Tom

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: Survival - Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be? [Re: Private Klink] #460 09/13/06 02:57 AM
Paddling man Offline
Mutt
Mutt
Educate, provision, prepare.

Above all, studies of who does & doesn't survive always point to the survivor attitude:

If you INTEND to make survive. If you maintain a calm, resourceful attitude... You'll vastly improve your odds.

(Let's just hope no one starts humming the "Eye of the Tiger" theme now.)

Re: Survival - Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be? [Re: Paddling man] #461 09/13/06 02:16 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
PM - more like "Only The Strong Survive"

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: Survival - Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be? [Re: Private Klink] #462 09/14/06 03:02 AM
Gravelface Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Hey, how do I survive south Louisiana Heat and humidity with a nagging wife and 3 year old daughter.....and no AC? Damned thing is less than a month old and the coil cracked!! Even the ACs can't handle the heat!

EMail if you have a spare 460!!!! JYD# 2
Re: Survival - Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be? [Re: Gravelface] #463 09/14/06 03:22 AM
Andy Wayne Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Hey, how do I survive south Louisiana Heat and humidity with a nagging wife and 3 year old daughter.....and no AC?

Here's some ideas to keep ya cool that I posted at the Swamp a couple months ago:

DIY Air conditioner

[Linked Image from makezine.com]

Ice Pack Vest

[Linked Image from makezine.com]
"Coolest vest ever for hot nerds - This looks like a good summer sewing project. It's a jacket with ice packs sewn in."

As we write, the heat is beating down in central Tokyo, hitting 96 degrees. What better way to chill out than with an ice-pack vest from Unitika? It may not be digital, but it sure is cool!

The jacket, called Me, is stuffed with pouches containing ice packs that cover the shoulders, neck and back. Fortunately, the ice comes with the vest, so you don't have to worry about melting cubes dribbling down the small of your back. Yes, we know the Me doesn't look very hot on the style front — in fact, wearers look like they've been strapped into some sort of medical truss.

The jacket has just gone on sale for ¥6,300, which is, we suppose, the price of coolness this month in Tokyo.

JYD #4
Re: Survival - Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be? [Re: Andy Wayne] #464 09/14/06 09:22 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I suppose that if the ice packs were frozen water you would have an emergency supply with you. There is room for a couple of pockets containing survival items. This must be the summer issue of the Japanese survival vest.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: Survival - Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be? [Re: Private Klink] #465 09/15/06 02:46 PM
Gravelface Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Wow! I would be a hit......in Japan with one of those, Anyway the AC guy just finished up here........lalala It is looking to be a good day...except for the chemistry test I bombed this morning......grrrr!

Last edited by Gravelface; 09/15/06 02:46 PM.

Re: Survival - Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be? [Re: Gravelface] #466 09/15/06 05:17 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Blame the chemistry test on the AC - it was too hot to study! Anyway, glad to hear it's working again. Stay cool!

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: Survival - Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be? [Re: Private Klink] #467 09/16/06 09:59 PM
Gravelface Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Cool, it feels like the damned artic circle in here now...even though it is probably 73 degress or 22.7 Celsius

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3