10/22 / 22LR experts REVEAL yourselves!!! #613721 02/10/12 07:50 AM
E
Evil Spock Offline OP
Mutt
OP Offline
Mutt
E
Hey guys,

So my dad (finest man I'll ever know) bought me a synthetic stock/stainless barrel 10/22 since he knew I wanted one. I will be doing research on the two big ruger rimfire sites for info on what I am looking for but since this will be like a minnow jumping into a shark tank, I was wondering if any of my SY brethren would help me with the following:

1.) Would love to get a folding pistol grip stock for this thing. So far best info I've found is that the Butler Creek one is the way to go, although at the price of accuracy. Can anyone provide insight?

2.) I want to stock up on quality rounds. Anyone have opinions on good deals/good ammo? Apparently for reliability sake I am supposed to stick with ammo that has copper-cladded bullets?

Thanks very much!

Re: 10/22 / 22LR experts REVEAL yourselves!!! [Re: Evil Spock] #613722 02/10/12 08:12 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Don't really know if this will be any help, but here goes.

1. I have always heard good things about butler creek products. Personally I think you need to evaluate IF you NEED a folding stock Vs just WANT one. There is a difference. You indicated you were concerned about a possible decrease in accuracy.

2. Copper clad bullets will help keep the leading of the barrel down, but personally I have never had a problem with this, just clean your weapon (no you DO NOT need to clean it after every shooting session, unless it is several weeks or months between sessions).

3. Start off getting several different brands and kinds of ammo. Find out which ammo your particular weapon shoots the best (most accurate) then buy as much of that ammo as you can. This will possibly overcome the accuracy loss (if any) you experience by going to a folding stock.

Just a personal note, the 10-22 is not a large weapon. You already have the most durable one they make, SS and Synthetic. It carries nicely just the way it is. Again, just my 2 cents worth.

Hope this helps.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: 10/22 / 22LR experts REVEAL yourselves!!! [Re: SkunkHunter] #613723 02/10/12 05:45 PM
imaginefj Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I'd leave it alone but there are some nice stocks out there. Ask yourself what will I gain my making this change?

Good optics makes better sense to me.

I shoot Remington cheap stuff though my 10/22 and it runs very reliably. Sure CCI is more accurate it also costs 10 times more.

For what I use my 10/22 for cheap ammo is good.

If I was doing match shooting I would step my ammo up accordingly.

Join the NRA JYD #69 If a 6 turned out to be 9 Join the NRA
Re: 10/22 / 22LR experts REVEAL yourselves!!! [Re: imaginefj] #613724 02/10/12 10:03 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Cabelas has a ammo can of federal 22 hollow point 2100 rounds for 70 some bucks it's not bad. CCI is really good stuff though. I love my copper plated hollow points I have shot several ground hogs in the chest with round nose and they run off. They don't do that with hollow points. Blackhawk! Has a good 10/22 stock and ATI has one that folds and adjusts for length of pull just like a m4 stock. I always handle stocks before I buy. MAKE SURE you like the way your cheek sits on the stock the wire ones arn't that nice feeling.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: 10/22 / 22LR experts REVEAL yourselves!!! [Re: gun dog] #613725 02/11/12 02:59 AM
D
damon Offline
Mutt
Mutt
D
FWIW, I've had a 10/22 for a few years set up in a variety of configurations, including the BC folding stock. To me, the folder was nice, but was for putting in compact area "hiding spot" in cars, packs and such. While you can shoot it folded, it is not he best, and since about all you will do is hip shots in such a configuration, the practicality of the folder is that it is for storing and not for shooting. Oh yeah, I run a TacSol extended mag release and while it fit with this stock, the pistol grip made using it a bit tricky at times.

I live in God's country (CO) and we shoot 365. The wire on the cheek in winter can be a bit uncomfortable, but there is a small plastic housing that covers that...kind of. Cheek-weld was surprising not an issue (for me).

What was surprising was the weight of the stock...I'd say it felt noticeably heavier than the factory (never weighed them to be sure). Can't speak to accuracy issues as I never really scoped it with the folder as (to me) combining those two options seem counter-intuitive. I will say that with irons, I didn't notice a difference.

Long story short, I ditched it to put the Hougue (sp?) overmold stock on it and am pleased with that decision as it is lighter and more quiet (two things important to me), and more comfortable to shoot 365 from a bench or off-hand YMMV of course.

As far as ammo, look at Federal Auto Match, good spot between quality (accuracy and reliability) and price. At wally world they go for like $16 or so a brick of 375 (i think).

I will say this, more important that any of the above is finding fully functioning magazines!!!! I have tried a bunch and on this, each rifle can be very, very different. I have a few BC 25rnd mags that work great and some that need forward/upward pressure to function reliably. My rifle hates the factory rotary mags (10rd) and I have yet to try the new factory 15rnders. Anyway, before you buy any scope, bi-pod, laser, whatever, find mags that function 100% or your time with that gun will be very frustrating.

Re: 10/22 / 22LR experts REVEAL yourselves!!! [Re: damon] #613726 02/11/12 05:29 AM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I bought the ATI stock because it folded but ended up stripping it down to about what the blackhawk axiom stock is. would rather give up the folding aspect and have the cleaner looks of the axiom. the BC stock seems tk be popular but after the ATI i think i would rwther have the axiom or a nice hogue stock. mainly because even though folding helps a little bit I think it would be a little better to just have a decent stock and a decent bag or case. these aren't painfully long rifle to begin with.

as far as ammo. I'm just shooting whatever I get my hands on. I'm sure your rifle will have a preference but in most cases im just plinking at stuff and most ammo seems to work fine for that. just stay away from the really cheap bulk stuff is all I have determined. most of it has shot fine in my 10/22 but the remy gold in the green box was one I will avoid in the future. too inconsistent... but until I can make a nice size order of different brands and then put them all on paper I usually just keep federal or cci in the mags. I never pay much attention to what type but so far everything has been pretty cool.

I have a couple of 25 round butler creek steel lips that seem to be doing a pretty good job. bought some crap 50 rounder that I dropped and it pretty much exploded. I really didn't have any great expectations from it but thats the last time I waste money on mags for my 10/22. the new ruger 25 rounders look good but I really do like being able to look at the mag and see how many rounds are left. if I was doing thousands of rounds a day the easy to clean feature may mean something but I think BC mags are fine. I say buy as many as you think you would need for one shooting session.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: 10/22 / 22LR experts REVEAL yourselves!!! [Re: lazi] #613727 02/11/12 05:57 AM
imaginefj Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
The extended Ruger mags are top notch. Everyone should go buy two!

Join the NRA JYD #69 If a 6 turned out to be 9 Join the NRA
Re: 10/22 / 22LR experts REVEAL yourselves!!! *DELETED* [Re: imaginefj] #613728 02/11/12 10:50 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Post deleted by gun dog

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: 10/22 / 22LR experts REVEAL yourselves!!! [Re: gun dog] #613729 02/15/12 01:37 AM
E
Evil Spock Offline OP
Mutt
OP Offline
Mutt
E
So glad I posted this message, man you guys are full of awesome intel!

Skunk/imagine/gun dog/damon/lazi:

Okay so there's two legit reasons why I was looking at the BC folder:

1. Pistol grip stock - I'm an AK fanboy and I just prefer 'em if available.

2. Reducing length - Still won't fit in my Alice BOB, but figured I could poke it out the side of the flap maybe?

Based on what you guys have told me, it sounds like the folding aspect just ain't worth it. I definitely want a pistol grip though and that Blackhawk Axiom looks NICE. Any negatives to this one?

Ultimately, I guess if I wanted something that would really fit in my BOB, I'd need to pick up a Henry 22 Survival Rifle (in spite of no pistol grip). If you fellas have any experience with these I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks very much!

Re: 10/22 / 22LR experts REVEAL yourselves!!! [Re: Evil Spock] #613730 02/15/12 04:34 AM
BigLapDog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
So glad I posted this message, man you guys are full of awesome intel!

Skunk/imagine/gun dog/damon/lazi:

Okay so there's two legit reasons why I was looking at the BC folder:

1. Pistol grip stock - I'm an AK fanboy and I just prefer 'em if available.

2. Reducing length - Still won't fit in my Alice BOB, but figured I could poke it out the side of the flap maybe?

Based on what you guys have told me, it sounds like the folding aspect just ain't worth it. I definitely want a pistol grip though and that Blackhawk Axiom looks NICE. Any negatives to this one?

Ultimately, I guess if I wanted something that would really fit in my BOB, I'd need to pick up a Henry 22 Survival Rifle (in spite of no pistol grip). If you fellas have any experience with these I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks very much!

I have the Butler Creek stock and I've had it for at least 14 years since I bought the gun when I turned 18. It is a bullet proof stock. I have it in the box for the last few years because I just decided I liked the wood for plinking. I think if you want a folder you will like it and because its a sidefolder it shrinks the gun to a nice size. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by BigLapDog; 02/15/12 04:36 AM.

JYD #140
Re: 10/22 / 22LR experts REVEAL yourselves!!! [Re: BigLapDog] #613731 02/15/12 06:33 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
GD, I don't know about now, but MANY years ago I had an AR-7 Explorer. Today it is made by Henry and here is a link:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

I can't speak for the quality now, but when I had mine I really liked it. You might ask others here about it and OF COURSE do your own research as to the toughness of it now.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: 10/22 / 22LR experts REVEAL yourselves!!! [Re: SkunkHunter] #613732 02/15/12 06:38 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Oh GD, here is another one that might interest you. The Marlin Papoose.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/selfloading/70pss.asp

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 1 of 2 1 2