Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
New Glock a question about carry #600248 10/13/11 07:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just picked up my G21 Gen 4 today and squeezed a few hundred rounds through it this morning. I love it as expected. My Gunny came with me to the range just to get out of the office and play with my new toy (I know guns are not toys, but they sure are fun).

He showed me a carry clip online when we got back to work, the Skyline Carry Clip. Have any of you used or seen one of these before and what are your thoughts? I will probably order one after work today. There is another company making them, but the reviews say they rust/erode quite a bit. This one is about 5 buck more, but reviews are more positive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj4gtVtdjTY

Re: New Glock a question about carry [Re: ] #600249 10/13/11 07:54 PM
L
leighman Offline
Mutt
Mutt
L
My 0.02 worth...

Glocks are great but carrying (legally concealed or openly)
any loaded firearm with the trigger exposed is only asking for a negligent discharge (ND) with potentially devastating results.

I've CCW'd Glocks for 10+ years and still have ALL my body parts due in part to a quality holster which does not leave the trigger exposed.

Outside of competition, you won't find a holster maker worth their salt who design/produce/sell holsters (leather, kydex, whatever) that leave the trigger/trigger guard exposed (SA western rigs being the exception). There is also a lack of retention, also potentially dangerous.

Re: New Glock a question about carry [Re: leighman] #600250 10/13/11 08:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Leighman, I was thinking about that earlier.

I am not comfortable about having the trigger exposed while the business end of the gun is pointed at my favorite body part in condition 1.

But, if I carry it in condition 3, I wouldn't have any concerns. After an unplanned use of the firearm and "reholstering" hastily things get a little more dangerous though.

Re: New Glock a question about carry [Re: ] #600251 10/13/11 08:47 PM
L
leighman Offline
Mutt
Mutt
L
Agreed.
I think those clips are more "gimmicky" than anything else and was a bit surprised that Brownells was promoting them.
Of course, they are not in the "public safety" business, either.

I have no connection other than a satisfied customer but check out FIST holster company...excellent fit, finish, and top-notch customer service. Closest thing to custom without the custom price!

And Semper Fi from a former 0352!

Re: New Glock a question about carry [Re: leighman] #600252 10/13/11 08:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah...

I am glad I waited and let the initial coolness of it wear off, which took alll of a few hours.

I think I will go with a IWB leather holster and a old Blackhawk Yaqui Slide Holster I have been looking to put to use.

I will check out FIST tonight.

Semper FN Fi!

Re: New Glock a question about carry [Re: ] #600253 10/13/11 09:08 PM
L
leighman Offline
Mutt
Mutt
L
If you are shopping for a new IWB rig, I would recommend Fist's # 19 or #20...I have owned both (Glock 23 and 27) and they are VERY comfortable.

I've never tried their kydex offerings as their leatherwork is just too nice.

I'm a lefty and neither rig was in stock...they made them up quickly and I had them both within 2 weeks.

Truly a class act company and equal to some very expensive Kramer holsters I've owned. IMO, superior to any Galco and that is not a slur against Galco, just that I think the workmanship of FIST, Inc. is of a higher standard.

Re: New Glock a question about carry [Re: leighman] #600254 10/14/11 06:40 AM
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I generally back a Glock in a Safariland 703 or SLS type holster, good enough concealment, excellent retention and EASY reholster (which is almost as important as the draw).

Andy

Re: New Glock a question about carry [Re: Andy the Aussie] #600255 10/14/11 03:44 PM
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I'm not a fan of any carry clip.

1. First people want to jam them down the fron of their pants. I have an issue with pointing a gun at my junk.

2. They aren't as secure as I want. I can tell you for a fact that if I need my psitol I'm not going to be stayig in one place and I want my pistol to be where I left it.

3. Pistols aren't built for comfort on your skin. It its uncomfortable to carry/wear it you won't. A holster secures your pistol and should make it more comfortable to carry especially IWB.

4. A good sweatshield is nice if you plan on carrying a pistol. It's the little things that make a difference when carrying concealed.

5. The clips have a limited use in my opinion, Not much use for the average joe but some people want what they want.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: New Glock a question about carry [Re: MonkeyBomb] #600256 10/15/11 04:18 PM
james_bond Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I also say no on the clip thing, but for minamalmist carry check out the Zack holster,

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/zackconcealmentholster.aspx

JYD #25 Clinging to my Guns, Religion, and Scrapyards.
Re: New Glock a question about carry [Re: james_bond] #600257 10/15/11 10:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
James, after seeing that, I am actually considering the clip again. I know everyone has told me it is a bad idea, but ... the main argument is that the trigger is still exposed while in my pants. I think the carry clip coupled with that minimalist holster, I get a carry system that is both minimal and safe. For about $40 for both items, I don't mind taking a gamble to see if they work well together.

Re: New Glock a question about carry [Re: ] #600258 10/16/11 04:03 AM
james_bond Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
ooooh combined now that is a good idea. The clip to keep the gun up, oriented, even a little retention, and the Zack to protect the trigger and if you felt even a little ambitious you could do the kydex your self and save the cost of the "holster"

JYD #25 Clinging to my Guns, Religion, and Scrapyards.
Re: New Glock a question about carry [Re: james_bond] #600259 10/17/11 01:34 AM
wrxguyusa Offline
Mongrel
Mongrel
Can you explain a little more about why you are thinking about any clip over an IWB holster?

A proper holster and belt do so much to increase the comfort, access, safety, and concealment. The major thing for me is pulling the gun's butt close to the body, which a clip can't do.

I wear a Kramer, but for something a little cheaper the Remora is a good low-cost comfortable option.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5