Scrap Yard Knife Company

Table Top Comparison TGM

Posted By: Horn Dog

Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/09/13 07:43 PM

My good friend, Tom Kanik, picked up a Busse Team Gemini for me at Blade. This is the shorter verion with a blade just under 6" as measured from the scales. Just as the long version is bigger than the Marine Combat, the short version is much bigger than the Air Force pilot knife.
[Linked Image from i173.photobucket.com]
The TGM is about the same size as the Rodent 6. It weighs in at 15 oz, so it is much thicker and beefier than either the Marine or the AF knife. We never had knives this tough when I was in the war. Even the Ratmandu out does anything we had.

I even found a sheath to fit the TGM. I think it is an old Ranger Knife sheath.
Now that I'm 65 and too old to fight well, I have some awesome combat knives.
Posted By: sumoj275

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/09/13 08:02 PM

Horn Dog my man, I don't care how old you are--I ain't messing with you or your blades! I know how sharp you keep them, they slice bloody air.......

Nice group of blades BTW.
Posted By: Rasmus

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/09/13 08:15 PM

Great blades there! And nice to see some cool historic blades.

Just picked up a Ratmandu myself, and it has fast become a favorite!
Posted By: greaser

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/09/13 08:15 PM

Sweet steel congrats.

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/09/13 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rasmus
Great blades there! And nice to see some cool historic blades.

Just picked up a Ratmandu myself, and it has fast become a favorite!

The Ratmandu is just "right". I usually carry a folder. Out in my swamp, I like a BIG knife.
Posted By: DogTired

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/09/13 08:51 PM

Nice! Thanks for the pics.
Posted By: Feldgrun

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/09/13 09:02 PM

Nice to see you here HD, with your excellent pics.

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 01:05 AM

Weird to see you with so many blades under 9" long though... wink

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 01:33 AM

I have drawers and boxes full of medium size knives. Never found much use for them. I don't know why I buy them. I either use a folder or a chopper.

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 01:45 AM

After finding the RMD, I'm not sure I need another in that size. Of course, I could always change my mind...if the order page was open.

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 02:13 AM

Of all the 5" fixed blades I own, my favorite is the RMD. Sometimes I carry it when I know the trails are clear and I don't need a machete. It's a good all-around knife, IMO. It can be used for bushcraft, meal prep, skinning, and even self defense in a pinch. Darn, I screwed up and edited the wrong post. Sorry. Anyway, as medium sized fixed blades go, you can't go wrong with a RMD.
Posted By: Rob Stanley

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 02:58 AM

Very cool! You have some awesome blades there. I love your 'swamp' too! Much fun to be had with knives in there smile

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 03:28 AM

RMD, Swamp Warden, and a big ol' choppah! That's a combo I can get behind. Or a 411, Chopweiler, MOAD combo. Also very nice wink

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 03:28 AM

I assume HD, that you have a full size TGLB? I'd be interested in your take on that.

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 03:53 AM

I do not have a full length TG. I bought the Rodent 6 instead. I likely have all the Busse knives I will ever have. But I have sharpened one. It's like a Marine Combat knife on steriods, thicker, bigger, and badder.

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 12:21 PM

I've been impressed by your collection of knives, HD. If you were to pick one to whittle a walking stick while sitting by the campfire, which one would it be?

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Feldgrun
I've been impressed by your collection of knives, HD. If you were to pick one to whittle a walking stick while sitting by the campfire, which one would it be?

Since I have actually DONE that, I can tell you. It was whatever pocket knife I had on me. Likely the SAK OHT or Rat Trap. I have whittled them with SOG SEAL Pups, too. And I recall using a Bark River Rogue Bowie for that once. It has a nice gleam by the campfire. But if I ever need to pry the tracks off a tank or chop my way out of a wrecked Hummer, I'm sure I'll need that TGM.
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 03:16 PM

The TGM would do the job no doubt! smile Nice comparison Vic!

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 03:32 PM

Thanks for that Busse TGM, Tom. I also thanked Susan for letting me plunder her account to pay for it! She has a full time job now. We are saving up to buy more silver for the coming crash of the dollar. But I told her that INFI was a precious metal, too. grin
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 03:43 PM

Susan's job will help keep her young and lovely! grin I missed you two at Blade; I was looking forward to meeting "Nurse Goodbody". grin laugh grin

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 04:00 PM

We had been planning the Blade trip for a year, but family problems (she has 5 grown kids) arose. I could have gone by myself, but what fun would it be without nurse goodbody?
Posted By: Massive Metal

Re: Table Top Comparison TGM - 06/10/13 05:18 PM

Sweet pics HD!

And don't give us that "too old to fight" garbage

MM
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums