Scrap Yard Knife Company

No more sr77?

Posted By: alaus

No more sr77? - 07/22/13 09:24 AM

Are there no more knives made with sr77?
I've moved to a tropical coastal area and since then my sr101 knives are rusting like crazy. My SOD in sr77 is doing just fine. And it's my favourite knife. As soon as I opened the package back a few years ago and held the SOD in my hand I knew, I will never sell it again. It's that cool. grin
I hate oiling my knives after every time I used them so I will gradually replace all my rusting knives with stainless or near stainless ones. Anyway I hope I will be able to buy another sr77 knife from Scrapyard Knives in the future. grin
By the way, what other steel used by other knife companies comes closest to the sr77?
Posted By: Rasmus

Re: No more sr77? - 07/22/13 10:58 AM

There is pretty much only one person who can answer that question, and the is Dan. He is on vacation...

Every one else can only speculate.
I think the superior edgeholding of SR101 is preferred by many. And the corrosion is only superficial. Force some patina on the blade with a lemon, and you should be good cool

Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: No more sr77? - 07/22/13 11:54 AM

I used a knife made from the leaf spring of a truck for 3 years in the Philippines and once the patina got established it did well. I just jabbed it into the ground a few times to get the surface rust off and it was good to go.
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: No more sr77? - 07/22/13 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by alaus
Are there no more knives made with sr77?
I've moved to a tropical coastal area and since then my sr101 knives are rusting like crazy. My SOD in sr77 is doing just fine. And it's my favourite knife. As soon as I opened the package back a few years ago and held the SOD in my hand I knew, I will never sell it again. It's that cool. grin
I hate oiling my knives after every time I used them so I will gradually replace all my rusting knives with stainless or near stainless ones. Anyway I hope I will be able to buy another sr77 knife from Scrapyard Knives in the future. grin
By the way, what other steel used by other knife companies comes closest to the sr77?

I rarely oil carbon steel blades, I enjoy a nice patina on them
I live in a temperate rainforest and grew up with carbon steel knives
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: No more sr77? - 07/22/13 07:27 PM

By the way welcome to the yard
Posted By: Spider-Pig

Re: No more sr77? - 07/22/13 07:33 PM

I prefer sr77 too. Doesn't hold an edge as well, but its also easier to sharpen.
Posted By: Endeavour Morse

Re: No more sr77? - 07/22/13 08:18 PM

alaus,

You should look at INFI if you're having rust issues. It isn't stainless, but doesn't rust like "traditional carbon steel".

Posted By: DogTired

Re: No more sr77? - 07/23/13 02:13 AM

Just soak it in vinegar and you're GTG grin
Posted By: myketheknife

Re: No more sr77? - 07/29/13 07:09 PM

Please bring back the good ol' SR77 this company was built on Dan.
If it'll go through this and still do....

[Linked Image from i760.photobucket.com]

this,
then edge holding is a not a problem.

Perhaps it is hard to get now days because of it's popularity with knife makers,or perhaps it is just a pita to work/heat treat.
What ever,it sure would be good to see another knife from the Yard made of good old SR77.
I'm not knockin' the other steels,I'm just nostalgic for the one that started it all for the Yard.

Some more SR77 goodness,for nostalgia's sake.

Posted By: DogTired

Re: No more sr77? - 07/30/13 03:28 AM

SR77 is great for the big ol' choppers. But so is SR101...although it might be better than 77 at the smaller blades where impact isn't too much of an issue...
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: No more sr77? - 09/07/13 07:15 AM

It's ALL good. wink
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums