Scrap Yard Knife Company

Whatcha get?!?!?!

Posted By: Sethrotull

Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/11/13 02:52 AM

Ok let's see what you got from the shoot.

Jim?
Posted By: Jim

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/11/13 05:41 AM

Even after passing a couple along, I ended up with three ScrapMuks (to head off messages, I plan to hold on to them)

three of what I think were called a "Desert Fighter" and were written up as a (Swamp Rat) Rodent 4 variant

one TaliWhaker LE (#556)

one CG Game Warden (thin blade)

one Hack -- it's longer than normal, someone said it started out as a leaner meaner blank.

I'll try to post pics of them this weekend.
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/11/13 05:56 AM

Nice haul there Jim. Congratulations.
Posted By: Rasmus

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/11/13 06:56 AM

Sounds like a nice bunch of blades!

Curious here; was there a regulatorhandled 611 there?
Or what was that droppoint/leafshaped blade, with the regulator handle?
Posted By: elof_alv

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/11/13 10:58 AM

Are the Muks in 154cm?

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by elof_alv
Are the Muks in 154cm?

"Beef" said they were 154CM (I can't remember his real name at the moment), but he sounded a bit hesitant, so I verified it with Garth as well.

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rasmus
Sounds like a nice bunch of blades!

Curious here; was there a regulatorhandled 611 there?
Or what was that droppoint/leafshaped blade, with the regulator handle?

I'm not sure what they were calling those; they weren't a show special, which would have noted the name, and while I thought they were nice, I didn't really want to buy one, so I didn't ask. I noticed that some had sharpened swedges though.
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 09:53 AM

Fodder for the Knoboganza. smile
Posted By: rth548

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 01:00 PM

I hope so. I really need a Muk!

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 08:37 PM

I might as well start off with the ScrapMuks:

[Linked Image from i202.photobucket.com]

These were the Rodent 4 variants that I think they called "Desert Fighters". I'd normally buy Micarta handles because G10 is more expensive and the Micarta simply feels softer in my hands. However, these show specials were priced the same regardless of the handle materials and the grooves weren't aggressive, so these feel really good in my hands and seemed a better deal; I like them a lot:

Here's one Muk and Fighter with the rest of my haul -- I think TaliWhacker LEs were a ganza item that I missed, and I liked the #556 SN on this one, so I swapped the moss-coated one from my basket for it instead. The Hack was my "first-choice" knife; there were much prettier knives at the show, but I didn't want to pay the premium for those gorgeous handles; this one was small enough that I could carry it in town and the blade reminds me of a scalpel. Mat sure did me a favor when he grabbed it for me:

My new Game Warden may not win any beauty contests, but it feels good in the hand and look at how thin the blade is. It was still on the table long after the initial rush, but I know it was destined to be mine as soon as I picked it up while sorting through the table scraps:

Overall, I bought more than I expected to, but the bill wasn't near as much as many past shows and I'm very happy with what I got.
Posted By: luck

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 08:41 PM

Great haul, Jim! Really like the muk and fighters.
Posted By: Spider-Pig

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 09:17 PM

Love the HACK. Can't really spot anything on it that I don't like.
Posted By: gunfixrjoe

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 09:33 PM

Me thinks me needs one of dem muks
Posted By: lazi

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 09:47 PM

some nice snags as usual jim! those are all blades I would've jumped on.

the thinner smaller busses and the tgm are about the only busse blades that have interested me in a while. well, at least the only ones that i can imagine being able to afford for any more. once you get past a certain dollar amount it's hard to ignore the value of the rats and dogs.

i like 154cm but i was sort of hoping the orange handled muk was an introduction to a cg version of the muk in SR101 that would be headed to the stores. if i recall the coating on some of the other coated muks didn't adhere to the blade all that well.

Posted By: DogTired

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 09:54 PM

Yeah, the coatings on my CG Muk and CG Mud Puppy in 154CM don't stick all that well in comparison. Great knives, and my hat's ff to the Dogs who helped me get them. No complaints, just an observation. Doesn't seem to impede the performance wink

Nice Muks ad GW in particular Jim! I love the orange/black combo. As close as the Yard will ever get to "pumpkin" wink
Posted By: RN

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 10:04 PM

Great buys- as always Jim!
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 10:26 PM

That Hack would be a great capeing knife, hope to see one show up on the exchange.

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
Originally Posted by elof_alv
Are the Muks in 154cm?

"Beef" said they were 154CM (I can't remember his real name at the moment), but he sounded a bit hesitant, so I verified it with Garth as well.

Thanks for the comments; as always, you're a great group.

Is it Josh? I've never been good with names, but the older I get... I can usually remember people's nick-names and I usually remember the neighborhood dog's names, but not so much their owner's names.
Posted By: luck

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/12/13 11:19 PM

Stewart
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/13/13 05:09 AM

Yeah Ya done real good Jim.

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/13/13 11:55 PM

You sure did; I'm turning green with envy! shocked
Posted By: gunfixrjoe

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/14/13 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by lazi
some nice snags as usual jim! those are all blades I would've jumped on.

the thinner smaller busses and the tgm are about the only busse blades that have interested me in a while. well, at least the only ones that i can imagine being able to afford for any more. once you get past a certain dollar amount it's hard to ignore the value of the rats and dogs.

i like 154cm but i was sort of hoping the orange handled muk was an introduction to a cg version of the muk in SR101 that would be headed to the stores. if i recall the coating on some of the other coated muks didn't adhere to the blade all that well.

Ditto on the SR101!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Alpenwoe

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/15/13 05:01 PM

Well done Jim! Thanks for the photos, always much appreciated!
Posted By: VANCE

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/15/13 05:21 PM

they all are nice but i love that skinny warden
Posted By: Renee

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/16/13 01:42 PM

Awesome scores! grin
Posted By: RN

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/16/13 09:44 PM

Jim, how do those desert fighter feel in hand?

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/17/13 02:00 AM

The fighter grips are slightly smaller than a RMD, but quite close (without the thumb ramp) and feel great in my hand. Someone with very large mitts might find them small, and a woman who I work with, who has very small hands said that they were big for her, but they're just about perfect for me.
Posted By: messer454

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/18/13 01:28 AM

All the Muks were sold out at the preshow. My proxy could only get me 1 of the 3 I wanted. Not saying there might not be some blanks that weren't done for the show though.
Posted By: messer454

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/18/13 01:29 AM

Thanks for that, I was told they were but expected to see them marked.

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/21/13 08:19 PM

Those ScrapMuks look good with orange handles, but I already have a black-bladed one as well as an LE. I hope they are made available to everybody who wants one.
Posted By: GLOCKCRAZZ

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/24/13 03:30 AM

Great scores there Jim.

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/24/13 03:31 AM

I've been wanting a Scrapmuk forever.

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/24/13 03:33 AM

My proxies always fall thru or none to be had.
I finally scored one on BF.

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/24/13 03:34 AM

Those rodent 4's look great.

Re: Whatcha get?!?!?! - 10/24/13 09:34 AM

I have a Rodent 4, and it's a sweet knife! wink
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums