Scrap Yard Knife Company

Words of advice for a new marine?

Posted By: RN

Words of advice for a new marine? - 11/30/13 03:18 AM

My nephew is two weeks into basic training and I just got his address and am going to drop the boy a letter. Any good thoughts I should send to help the kid along?
Posted By: Spider-Pig

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 11/30/13 03:48 AM

If he's two weeks in then he's got it figured out by now. My best words of advice are to not take anything the DI's do or say personal. When they tell him to do something then do it as fast as he can without getting flustered or frustrated. The DI's will try to get him to lose his bearing at almost any cost. It's an awesome feeling when they can't get you to lose your bearing and they scream "AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!" in your face with frustration then tear into the next recruit. This is how they weed out the weaklings.

As long as he can do those things, shoot reasoably well, not panic in the pool, and is in reasonably good shape he'll be good to go.

Oh, and never quit, ever. No matter what the task is. Don't ever stop trying.

Thank him for his service for us.

Semper fi.

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 11/30/13 03:54 AM

After reading my post I realize I made boot camp sound like a nightmare. I had fun in boot camp. My most vivid memories come from those 13 weeks. I'm glad I did it but I'm glad I don't have to do it again.
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 11/30/13 04:40 AM

What Adam said! wink
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 11/30/13 06:02 AM

I hope that he is very successful with this difficult but worthy career choice

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 11/30/13 12:40 PM

Thanks SP- I'll pass on what you shared. I know one thing from your note will be fine- that boy is a fantastic swimmer. I think he tried very heard prepping with his recruiter and put in a bunch of time training with him over the months, hope he prepared him well!
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 11/30/13 12:42 PM

Rich, sent you a second PM with the link

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 11/30/13 12:44 PM

YUP, tell him it's a mind game. They tear you down to make you think NOT as an independent person but as an integral part of a group.
Posted By: adnj

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 11/30/13 12:45 PM

I remember mine. I remember what I told my son, "Once you finish you will most likely miss it. Try to enjoy the challenge."

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 11/30/13 03:49 PM

The toughest time I had in boot camp was trying not to laugh when something hilarious happened. The DI's are like comedians and they say and do some pretty funny things, and if you even so much as half-grin then you've lost your bearing, and now you're really in for it.
Posted By: Mastiff

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 12/01/13 05:58 PM

Was on a Army Rifle Team with one of old Drill Sergeants a few years after Basic training. Was the nicest guy you could ever want to meet.
One of the biggest things to remember is it a head game. Millions of others have survived and you can too. And like Spider-Pig said, never, never, ever give up. For most people at first, your body will be the weakest link, after a few weeks, it becomes your mind.

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/11/14 04:35 PM

So the boy is a few weeks from graduation. I know I'm gifting him a couple of knives (shocking news I'm sure! wink smile ) and his parents are trying to decide what to get him.

Any suggestions? I have no idea what is next for him after boot camp- seemed like he changed his mind every other week. Any gear that would be a plus? Good boots? Bag? Clothes?

I appreciate any ideas!
Posted By: greaser

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/11/14 05:31 PM

Money for beer and food is what I always needed. lol
Posted By: yesh

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/11/14 05:55 PM

If it was me I'd want a good pack like a Kifaru and a good set of boots, couldn't say what boots to get though (maybe some Danner's?)
Posted By: Mastiff

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/11/14 06:53 PM

I great field knife is a gift he can use now, tomorrow, and years from now. Clothing, boots, food, will pass in a blink of the eye, but a good knife can last several lifetimes.

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/11/14 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by greaser
Money for beer and food is what I always needed. lol

Needed? what changed! wink

Thanks guys. I figured some upgraded gear would be good.

You know I have the knife department covered! smile He'll get a Izula 2 and Rat 1 from me...engraved with something. I wanted to go light/small on the fixed blade and simple with the folder. Although, after picking up the bench made 710- I'm tempted to get that...cool folder! But, I still figure he can sharpen a Rat 1 with a rock if needed...figure it's a good low maintenance folder. I already got him a good leatherman.

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/11/14 08:54 PM

A high quality multitool. Victorinox seems to make the best. I can't remember the name of it, but I would go for the lighter model. "Spirit" maybe?

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/11/14 08:55 PM

....oops, just read you already got him a Leatherman.
Posted By: Andy the Aussie

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/11/14 09:23 PM

Hard to say on boots, the current issue are pretty good from what I have seen. Will he be allowed to carry a non-issue pack, especially as a PFC moving onto his MOS ? Out here (yes very different of course) a Private right out of Kapooka would get strips torn from him should he move onto IET with any gear not issued, especially if he is going to Infantry or another "pointy end" corps. These sort of things are best saved for when he is at his first posting and has been accepted/bedded in. Jack Kit (non-issue)attracts attention, when your young, new and looking to be accepted, this is NOT the attention you want.

Knives are good, especially smaller working blades as they can live and thrive out of sight, same with a multi-tool.

$$$ for beer and strippers are probably going to be the most gratefully accepted... wink

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/11/14 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie
$$$ for beer and strippers are probably going to be the most gratefully accepted... wink

I'll get his parents right on that! wink lol!

Seriously though, I appreciate all the feedback and info! What do I know as a liberal/commie/pinko social worker?! grin wink

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/12/14 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by RN
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie

I'll get his parents right on that! wink lol!

Seriously though, I appreciate all the feedback and info! What do I know as a liberal/commie/pinko social worker?! grin wink

More about the real world than a lot of us Rich.

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/12/14 12:38 PM

Probably just an ugly corner of it. I have more assaults, violence, addiction, abuse and chaos kicking around in my head than is healthy. Our active duty and vets have a different level than I know for sure.

Shot very well this week Randy BTW!

How is Patty feeling?

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/12/14 12:51 PM

She's doing better. Getting that stone out of her bile duct helped. grin

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/12/14 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by RN
Probably just an ugly corner of it. I have more assaults, violence, addiction, abuse and chaos kicking around in my head than is healthy. Our active duty and vets have a different level than I know for sure.

How is Patty feeling?

We're gonna have to start calling you the Dead Eye Democrat! wink

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/12/14 12:53 PM

All joking aside, I have found over the years that at times shooting can be VERY relaxing.

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/12/14 12:57 PM

You do a VERY necessary job Rich. One many of us, and it Especially includes me, couldn't do.

Thank you for your dedication.

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/12/14 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by RN
My nephew is two weeks into basic training and I just got his address and am going to drop the boy a letter. Any good thoughts I should send to help the kid along?

Tell him that it may seem like Hell and the D.I.'s sadistic, but they are teaching and building him up to survive. In battle, you can't just quit or give up; you have to pull out that extra reserve of strength you built up. As said before, many have gone through the same training and survived; that's what makes a Marine! wink

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 01/12/14 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Originally Posted by RN

How is Patty feeling?

We're gonna have to start calling you the Dead Eye Democrat! wink

As far as liberals go...I'm bad! wink smile

Glad Patty's feeling better. Gotta like when a Doc does their thing right!

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 02/10/14 10:34 AM

The boy passed the Crucible on Saturday and is now a Marine! He sounds relieved and proud. He graduates this Friday and I'll see him next week.
Posted By: rth548

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 02/10/14 11:04 AM

Awesome!
Posted By: greaser

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 02/10/14 04:41 PM

Nice, tell him congratulations.

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 02/10/14 08:05 PM

Please tell him "congratulations and well done", along with a Semper Fi from an old Marine! smile

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 02/10/14 10:32 PM

GREAT! Glad he was successful. He now joins the ranks of dedicated heroic PATRIOTIC men and women who help safeguard our way of life. Best wished from an Old Airman.

Re: Words of advice for a new marine? - 02/10/14 10:47 PM

Thanks guys!

Hopefully the weather cooperates with his parents going south for the graduation! Sounds like it may be rocky.

hmmm...M'eh...he's the only child and my brother is a wild man...he'll hook up snowmobiles or drive straight from NH for his boy I'm sure...
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums