Scrap Yard Knife Company

Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles?

Posted By: RUNIT

Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/12/14 03:32 PM

Just got my Mud Mutt and the Mudders just seem awkward to me. I had a 411 a while ago and got rid of it and I guess I thought somehow the Mutt would be different. frown
The whole handle just seem too thin. Especially where the first finger goes at the front. My hands are kinda long I guess and my finger wraps all the way around and under my hand. It just feels too small.
I think the standard 711/911 grip would have been great!
Oh well, a dog can dream.......
Posted By: luck

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/12/14 03:55 PM

I hear ya. I wouldn't say I'm not a fan, but I do prefer the standard grips better.
Posted By: Feldgrun

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/12/14 07:13 PM

Not my favorite, but I like the texture. I'd rather the 511's blade was 4" and thinner SR101, like the Mud Mutt. Now that's a blade I'd be excited about.
Posted By: storminnorman01

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/12/14 07:35 PM

This my first mudder handle so didnt know what to expect. But I feel like it's a little short, but i havent had it long enough to know for sure.
Posted By: rth548

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/12/14 09:15 PM

Mudders are my absolute favorite. They fit my hands perfectly, plus I love the texture.
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/13/14 12:25 AM

I think the mudder handle on the MudMutt is great! wink
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/13/14 03:03 AM

I love Mudders. Fits my hand well.

I need to update this photo. It seems I have a few more now. grin

[Linked Image from imageshack.com]
Posted By: sumoj275

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/13/14 04:24 AM

I love the Mudders on SY blades. Just like peanut-butter and jam, mudders and steel go together!
Posted By: RUNIT

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/13/14 05:30 AM

Man, I hate being a weirdo! I have tried to like them and I really wanted to. I think my fingers are just too long. I might need to try harder. eek
Posted By: yesh

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/13/14 01:02 PM

RUNIT, when it comes to handles they either work for you or they don't. Some handles just don't work for some people, you might be one of those people...... wink
Posted By: Renee

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/13/14 01:44 PM

Great pic! I also love the mudder handle! grin
Posted By: gunfixrjoe

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/13/14 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by rth548
Mudders are my absolute favorite. They fit my hands perfectly, plus I love the texture.

Same here. My favorite!

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/13/14 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RUNIT
Man, I hate being a weirdo! I have tried to like them and I really wanted to. I think my fingers are just too long. I might need to try harder. eek

I have a handle problem with the Ratmandu. People have told me that it has the best handle but I cannot feel comfortable with it. Since many people have said that the RMD is one of the best Swamp Rat knives, I have tried hard to like it. But I can't. The handle is just wrong for me. You seem to have a similar problem with mudders. Not your fault. BTW, feel free to send any unloved mudders my way. I will give them a good home. grin
Posted By: Chiral

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/13/14 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Settanta
Originally Posted by RUNIT

I have a handle problem with the Ratmandu. People have told me that it has the best handle but I cannot feel comfortable with it. Since many people have said that the RMD is one of the best Swamp Rat knives, I have tried hard to like it. But I can't. The handle is just wrong for me. You seem to have a similar problem with mudders. Not your fault. BTW, feel free to send any unloved mudders my way. I will give them a good home. grin

Huh. Care to take a photo of the RMD and a mudder in hand?

I definitely find the mudder to be slightly off - the swell is too far back on the handle (or the neck is too long & skinny) so it misses the pocket of the hand. The RMD hump/swell is perfect though could be improved with lateral (sides) contour and less guard material before the choil, imho:

[Linked Image from lh6.googleusercontent.com] [Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com] [Linked Image from lh4.googleusercontent.com]
Posted By: Sigarett

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/13/14 09:19 PM

I agree. I got my 2 mud mutts a week or so ago and was doing a little testing last night and have come to the conclusion that I am not a huge fan of the mudder grip as this was my first mudder. I prefer the 711 or standard size grip much more.

Like Chiral said above the swell is too far back and limits some of what could be great handling characteristics in my opinion as well.

Having said the that, the Mudd mutt is sick and penetrated over a half inch of phone book when doing a "gentle" penetration test and sliced the phone book like butter as well. Needs a better handle on such a fine blade.
Posted By: ScrapPhreak

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/13/14 10:20 PM

Mudders are a bit small for my meathooks too. However, since they're usually used on smaller blades, I don't have a problem with that. I'd rather them be a bit too small, than to have too much handle/blade ratio.
Posted By: avalenz

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/14/14 03:22 AM

Blasphemer!!! I want every Mudder variant made!!!
Posted By: Sethrotull

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/14/14 04:56 AM

I love the Mudder.

But I have hands like a baby girl.
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/14/14 05:55 AM

Never seen mudder handles in real life so I am stoked

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/14/14 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chiral

Here you go.

Ratmandu

Mud Mutt

Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/14/14 08:46 PM

Nice pics Ray! wink
Posted By: Chiral

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/15/14 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Settanta

Here you go.

Ratmandu
[Linked Image from imageshack.com][Linked Image from imageshack.com]

Mud Mutt
[Linked Image from imageshack.com][Linked Image from imageshack.com]

Thanks for that! Now can you tell me why you're holding each knife with your thumb so far back?? That groove along the spine is for your thenar muscle group, and the swell goes in the pocket between the thenar and hypothenar groups. You are holding each knife like you're throwing a fast-ball, putting all the stress on your fingers, rather than letting it rest comfortably in the pocket of your hand (as in my pics above).

Here is a quick video I made a while back about handle-designs, shows the HRLM (same handle as RMD) toward the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=welPk493sPM

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/15/14 02:51 AM

[quote=Ray Settanta][quote=Chiral]

Thanks for that! Now can you tell me why you're holding each knife with your thumb so far back??

There are several reasons why I place my thumb in that position:
1) I was trained to do that.
2) It is also very comfortable for me.
3) I do not want my thumb to be as far down on the blade as you show in your pics. So the front of the handle is a natural thumb rest for me.
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/15/14 06:43 AM

Uh Yeah, what Ray said.
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/15/14 06:43 AM

Now IF I am gonna put a lot of pressure on it, I will move my hand forward some.
Posted By: JavaDog

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? - 02/27/14 05:17 AM

Mudders are great. Pure genius.

Especially orange mudders grin
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums