New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/10/15 12:33 AM

Got this in the mail today!

[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]

Blade length: 10.25 inches
Handle length: 5.50 inches
blade thickness: .187 inches
Blade height: 2.625 inches
Weight: heavy smile

I like it! It actually feels pretty good in the hand and should chop like there's no tomorrow. As far as edge retention goes... We will see.
Posted By: greaser

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/10/15 12:35 AM

Awesome Is that the one JJ got for you?
Posted By: DogTired

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/10/15 01:06 AM

Cool! What is it?
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/10/15 04:27 AM

It's a khukri style knife. whistle...................... laugh
Posted By: Renee

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/10/15 11:21 AM

Nice!
Posted By: feederle

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/10/15 03:40 PM

Where is it from?
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/10/15 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by greaser
Awesome Is that the one JJ got for you?

YUP, JJ got it while TDY in Thailand. He was on an exercise with the Royal Thai Marines. He said they(well some) use a similar knife but not quite as Khukuri like, has a straighter blade.

I've used knives like this before while in the Philippines and despite the blade shape and size they work surprisingly well for a lot of different tasks. YES, even skinning. You just choke up on the blade, basically laying your thumb along one side and then wrapping your fingers around the spine and over on the other side like you were going to lay your fingers on the fatty part at the base of your thumb.

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/10/15 08:22 PM

Now all I gotta do is find someone that makes sheaths for something like this. I am thinking an open (partial) spine model would be the boss.
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/10/15 09:55 PM

It looks like an enep machete.

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/11/15 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Settanta
It looks like an enep machete.

It sure does!

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/11/15 04:59 AM

Anyone checked out or ordered something from "Aranyik Trading Company" you can find it on fb...
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/11/15 05:06 AM

Pretty cool there Randy

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/11/15 05:43 AM

Yeah it is Bill. Thought it was really nice of JJ to offer to pick me up one.

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/11/15 02:13 PM

Yes it was nice of him to do that. I have read about that knife on BF in the HI thread I believe. It is a very popular knife in that part of the world.
Posted By: tedwca

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/11/15 04:44 PM

It's definitely a Thai enep knife. They are pretty sweet. It doesn't have the heft of a Khukri, but it's very versatile. Congrats!
Posted By: VANCE

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/12/15 03:00 AM

Bet Tom could whoop you something up

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/12/15 04:46 AM

Phil, good to hear from you again! Are you going to make it to Blade again this year? smile
Posted By: VANCE

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/13/15 02:36 AM

I'll be at the fiddleback booth for the majority

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/13/15 03:14 AM

I'll be looking for you and check out the goodies. grin
Posted By: elof_alv

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/13/15 08:31 AM

Randy, this one will go very nicely with your hokey mask, friday the 13th persona wink

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/13/15 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by elof_alv
Randy, this one will go very nicely with your hokey mask, friday the 13th persona wink

Haha, I STILL have to get me that mask. smile

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/13/15 08:40 AM

I kept mine! grin

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/14/15 05:20 AM

To help get everyone "In the Mood" for Friday the 13th I printed up that picture of "Friday the 13th, the Golden Years" JJ did. Made folks chuckle.
Posted By: JarheadJournalist

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/19/15 12:10 AM

Glad you like it. It is an Aranyik knife. That it's what the stamp on the blade days in Thai.

The Thai Marines used that exact knife to behead the cobras we drank. They had the same one, but I figured I'd get them to break that one in for you.

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/19/15 12:13 AM

https://youtu.be/vOQf2dNpFl0

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/19/15 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by JarheadJournalist
Glad you like it. It is an Aranyik knife. That it's what the stamp on the blade days in Thai.

The Thai Marines used that exact knife to behead the cobras we drank. They had the same one, but I figured I'd get them to break that one in for you.

COOL! I figure I'm the only one in town that has a knife that has done that.

I consider it an honor for you to have done that JJ. Thank You.

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/20/15 05:45 AM

Been doing some limited research on the knife JJ got for me during his recent TDY to Thailand. It is an ARANYIK (MAKER) knife and he evidently only makes one shipment PER YEAR to the States! It would seem that these knives are quite sought after and very well regarded. It is indeed, as best as I can determine an Enep style knife. Still gotta sharpen her up and then get a dress made for her, but I really like what I've got so far and am quite proud of it.

After doing some more looking and reading and watching a couple videos it appears to be an E3 - Aranyik Camp E-nep. And if the video is any indication of all the blades, it has a pretty good heat treat on it.
Posted By: Claudiasboris

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/20/15 02:05 PM

It's a fine looking knife. I haven't heard much about Aranyik, but what I have heard is very good. Nice one!

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/20/15 02:05 PM

An Aranyik Enep is very well liked in some other forums I frequent. It is not a knife made for the tourist trade. Have fun with it. grin

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/21/15 06:24 AM

I think it would make a good defensive knife. Patty and I are thinking about taking a vacation again and If we do We'll need something to keep the Undesirables away. THAT teamed up with a good 45 or 9mm should keep us pretty safe I would think.

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/21/15 10:02 AM

Defensive knife??!!?? That would work against the Jolly Green Giant! laugh

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/22/15 03:28 PM

Hey, you never know what or who you may run into. Why not be prepared for all eventualities! wink

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/23/15 10:31 AM

Randy, I walked around the few huts set up just for the inbound Marines. They got word American dollars were coming and had makeshift stores right outside the training area. I saw the "mode for tourist" knives and ask for some locally made stuff and referenced the Thai Marine blades. That is the result. Don't misunderstand me, it is still a cheap knife. I don't mean a piece of junk. I mean I paid 4000 Baht. The cost to ship it to you was probably the same amount. Not sure though. The wife handled that side.

Re: New steel in the Skunks Den - 03/23/15 11:38 PM

I know what you mean about being a cheap knife, but NOT being cheap. My Negreto Hunting Bolo cost me $2.50 and it's one of my favorite knives.
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums