Scrap Yard Knife Company

What Is Your Dream Knife?

Posted By: Dumpster Dan

What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/05/19 03:43 PM

Dogs

I would be interested in what your Dream Knife would be.

As an example...(fictitious of course) I want a knife with a Regulator Handle, .350" thick, Blade Length of 8.3", Blade Width of 2.2", a swedge, a fuller, and made of INFI.

I would like to hear what you think. If you have a Small, EDC and Larger dream knife....let me know that

Nothing is too different ...we are among friends smile

Dan
Posted By: Massive Metal

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/05/19 07:01 PM

The Forsaken Bowie
The Trough Raider

The HUCK

All with Regukator handles and NO CBT
Infi is cool but I think I like SR101 more shocked

also a 12" Alpha Dog would be sweeeeet!

MM
cool

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/05/19 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Massive Metal

The Forsaken Bowie
The Trough Raider

The HUCK

All with Regukator handles and NO CBT
Infi is cool but I think I like SR101 more shocked

also a 12" Alpha Dog would be sweeeeet!

MM
cool

OOOH interesting choices

Thanks
Dan
Posted By: tedwca

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/05/19 08:18 PM

Oh, a 12" Alpha Dog is sweet.

I think a thin 3-4" blade with the mudder handles is a winner too.

Dream would be a 9" double edged dagger with the Regulator handle.
Posted By: RN

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/05/19 08:39 PM

Something like the Bandicoot...but with no choil and a bit of upsweep to the blade

For a bigger blade, something like the Sarsquatch with Rec-c and no swedge....

Lastly...a skinny, mini- Ash!
Posted By: Rainwalker

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/05/19 08:43 PM

Hi Guys, I know it’s been quite a while since I posted, I mostly stop in occasionally just to lurk… And it’s actually been a while at that.

It’s Ironic that I stopped by today. I just can’t resist this post…

My dream Scrap Yard blade would still be one that’s been talked about from time to time in the past. It would be based off of the Busse Combat Paul's Hatchet and Swamp Rat Ratchet, except with a longer blade that curves upward to a point. I envision the blade being at least twice to length of the Hatchet/Ratchet. I think that would be an Epic addition to the SYKCO lineup. And I would definitely be in for a couple or more of these.

Other than that I still think the Dog Father and S6 are the two best blades that Scrap Yard has ever offered.
Posted By: Evolute

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/05/19 08:57 PM

You've already made my dream small knife. For a larger knife, perhaps something like the S.F.N.O. with a resiprene C handle.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/05/19 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rainwalker
Hi Guys, I know it’s been quite a while since I posted, I mostly stop in occasionally just to lurk… And it’s actually been a while at that.

My dream Scrap Yard blade would still be one that’s been talked about from time to time in the past. It would be based off of the Busse Combat Paul's Hatchet and Swamp Rat Ratchet, except with a longer blade that curves upward to a point. I envision the blade being at least twice to length of the Hatchet/Ratchet. I think that would be an Epic addition to the SYKCO lineup. And I would definitely be in for a couple or more of these.

Other than that I still think the Dog Father and S6 are the two best blades that Scrap Yard has ever offered.

That hatchet would be epic. Like a Tom Brown Tracker...but useful! whistle grin
Posted By: banana-clip

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/06/19 01:40 AM

Hard to pick just one dream knife from SYKC, but it would be a Street Scrapper 4 LE. Satin INFI with a thinner blade around .17" thick saber grind.

Another dream knife would be similar the the DM Mod 7, but with a satin blade Scrapper 6.
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/06/19 03:47 AM

Oh man. A couple maybe. First off, a 10 inch Chophouse thin cut with the regulator handle, WITHOUT the top guard. IIRC that handle was called the DeRegulator.

Second, the Muppy with a even 4.25 inch blade with a HALF CIRCLE choil just big enough for your finger, FFG of course and with the same blade profile as the present Muppy. Oh and a variety of colors or just the color they were originally offered in.

You could live anywhere forever with two blades like that.

Actually I should have said the 1311 with a Deregulator handle.
Posted By: Rasmus

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/06/19 10:12 PM

The Scrapper 6 is still my dream knife. I have however, moved towards thinner knives the last couple of years. So, if it was offered in a thinner version than the original, I think it would fit the bill even better.
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/12/19 07:14 PM

Forsaken Bowie, 3/16" thick, and with a DogFather handle in Infi. grin

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/12/19 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by tedwca
Oh, a 12" Alpha Dog is sweet.

I think a thin 3-4" blade with the mudder handles is a winner too.

Dream would be a 9" double edged dagger with the Regulator handle.

Maybe call it the Alpha Alpha Dog smile

Dan

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/12/19 07:17 PM

Its good you haven't given this much thought LOL

Very interesting

Thanks
Dan

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/12/19 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Evolute
You've already made my dream small knife. For a larger knife, perhaps something like the S.F.N.O. with a resiprene C handle.

That would be cool
Dan

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/12/19 07:18 PM

A 12 inch bladed Alpha Dog WOULD be sweet!!! grin

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/12/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by banana-clip
Hard to pick just one dream knife from SYKC, but it would be a Street Scrapper 4 LE. Satin INFI with a thinner blade around .17" thick saber grind.

Another dream knife would be similar the the DM Mod 7, but with a satin blade Scrapper 6.

That thinner blade as a slicer would be hard to beat

Dan

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/12/19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Oh man. A couple maybe. First off, a 10 inch Chophouse thin cut with the regulator handle, WITHOUT the top guard. IIRC that handle was called the DeRegulator.

Second, the Muppy with a even 4.25 inch blade with a HALF CIRCLE choil just big enough for your finger, FFG of course and with the same blade profile as the present Muppy. Oh and a variety of colors or just the color they were originally offered in.

You could live anywhere forever with two blades like that.

Actually I should have said the 1311 with a Deregulator handle.

OOH I buy some of these !!!

Dan

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/12/19 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rasmus
The Scrapper 6 is still my dream knife. I have however, moved towards thinner knives the last couple of years. So, if it was offered in a thinner version than the original, I think it would fit the bill even better.

A thin version would be dangerous...I like it. I still use my 6 for cleaning at deer camp

Dan

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/12/19 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Private Klink
Forsaken Bowie, 3/16" thick, and with a DogFather handle in Infi. grin

A nice offspring of the Dog Father

Cool
Dan

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/12/19 07:29 PM

Absolutely!!! grin

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/12/19 07:43 PM

A large Scrap Bowie would be sweet!

Between a dream knife and the rereleases I think I know where all my "Fun" money is going!!

MM

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/13/19 04:56 AM

How about a Scrapyard version of a 10" bladed Jackhammer. I know PK would love that eek

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/13/19 04:51 PM

A ScrapHammer would be kinda sick!

MM

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/13/19 06:26 PM

Who me, spend lots of time thinking about my dream knife, naw! LOL!!! laugh

Originally Posted by Dumpster Dan

Its good you haven't given this much thought LOL

Very interesting

Thanks
Dan

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/13/19 06:31 PM

I'm a big fan of the WSK style, including the TBT. But, it would definitely be interesting how this design would stack up to other WSK's. cool

Originally Posted by RN

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/13/19 08:02 PM

How about a Scrapyard version of a 10" bladed Jackhammer. I know PK would love that eek

You know it!!! grin
Posted By: Endeavour Morse

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/16/19 02:14 PM

I have three dream knives :

BUSHDOG... (the small survival knife you can always have)

4” Drop Point FFG No Choil
.125” Thick SR101
Convex Edge
RES-C Mudder Grip with small bottom safety tang (just big enough to index your finger but small enough to “straddle” if you want to choke the blade).

DEVIL DOG... (the general purpose knife that can “do it all” from combat to survival to camping / trail blazing)

7” Modifed Drop (think NMSFNO shape) SUPER HIGH SABER with dropped metal tang (talon hole without a hole)
.25” SR101
V Grind
RES-C 711 Type Handle

DOG CHAIN (aptly named because it would replace my chain saw)

10” FBM profile SUPER HIGH SABER
.277” SR101
V Grind
RES-C Fusion Handle

All knives would have the following features:

A) the spine would be max thickness for the max distance from handle to tip for axial strength.

B) all spines would have “eased” (radius) edges EXCEPT for a 1.25” section of 90 degree edge on ONE SIDE near the handle for fire steel striking.

C) SMOOTH coating (not the rough or textured type).

D) two factory grind options:

D1) standard Busse obtuse grind for abuse
D2) fine grind for slicing work ... this can include a warranty clause indicating chipped or rolled edges wouldn’t be covered.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/16/19 09:56 PM

It's GREAT to see so many fellow Dogs back in the Yard! grin

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/17/19 02:53 AM

I agree PK, glad to see a lot of activity in here again. Its like the old days.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/17/19 03:05 AM

YUP, what that Army guy said.

Off we go into the wild blue yonder... grin

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/17/19 04:56 AM

Hmmm...just can't get away from the ChairForce. :/…………………………………………………………………... laugh

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/18/19 09:35 PM

I think SH is a Chairborne Ranger grin grin

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/19/19 01:51 AM

For sure! laugh laugh

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/19/19 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Evolute

What style handle wuld you put on it?

Dan

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/19/19 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by RN
Something like the Bandicoot...but with no choil and a bit of upsweep to the blade

How skinny for the ASH

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/19/19 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Architect
I have three dream knives :

BUSHDOG... (the small survival knife you can always have)

4” Drop Point FFG No Choil
.125” Thick SR101
Convex Edge
RES-C Mudder Grip with small bottom safety tang (just big enough to index your finger but small enough to “straddle” if you want to choke the blade).

DEVIL DOG... (the general purpose knife that can “do it all” from combat to survival to camping / trail blazing)

7” Modifed Drop (think NMSFNO shape) SUPER HIGH SABER with dropped metal tang (talon hole without a hole)
.25” SR101
V Grind
RES-C 711 Type Handle

DOG CHAIN (aptly named because it would replace my chain saw)

10” FBM profile SUPER HIGH SABER
.277” SR101
V Grind
RES-C Fusion Handle

All knives would have the following features:

A) the spine would be max thickness for the max distance from handle to tip for axial strength.

B) all spines would have “eased” (radius) edges EXCEPT for a 1.25” section of 90 degree edge on ONE SIDE near the handle for fire steel striking.

C) SMOOTH coating (not the rough or textured type).

D) two factory grind options:

D1) standard Busse obtuse grind for abuse
D2) fine grind for slicing work ... this can include a warranty clause indicating chipped or rolled edges wouldn’t be covered.

Some serious thought given to this subject...cool

Dan

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/19/19 07:57 PM

I'm a big fan of the WSK style, including the TBT. But, it would definitely be interesting how this design would stack up to other WSK's. cool

Originally Posted by RN

Good thinking.

You may know this...Paul's Hatchet was designed by my brother for my Dad who wanted a hatchet for trimming trees while he was on his riding mower...he loved it

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/27/19 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by RN

How skinny for the ASH

1/8"... or a little more maybe...

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/27/19 12:26 PM

That's pretty skinny! grin

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/27/19 04:36 PM

I was gonna say for the ASH or TRASH blade, 3/16 inch thick. I would trade in BOTH my Ash1 (re-issued coated one) and TRASH1 for a TRASH1 in 3/16 inch. Heck I would even do it for an ASH 1 in that blade thickness.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/27/19 09:00 PM

3/16" is a good blade thickness. wink

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/28/19 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by RN

Good thinking.

You may know this...Paul's Hatchet was designed by my brother for my Dad who wanted a hatchet for trimming trees while he was on his riding mower...he loved it

Yeah, I carry the PH or Ratchet or other blades while Mowing for very much the same reason. Seems like there's always some new limb where it's not supposed to be, LOL! laugh

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/28/19 10:58 PM

I keep a machete tied to my mower for that reason. grin

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/28/19 11:12 PM

JASON ON WHEELS! grin

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/29/19 05:55 AM

I DO have a mask like his! laugh laugh

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/29/19 03:53 PM

Just what a Knife Knut needs on Halloween!

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/29/19 09:35 PM

I own a PH and Ratchet and they are cool looking but are too small to any kind of cutting over maybe a 3/8" green branch. They would be much more useful if the handle was at least 12'-15" long, but 18" to 22" long would be best IMO. I don't remember how long the crash axe was but it is much more useful of a cutting tool.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/30/19 01:12 AM

I felt that they were too small for my purposes as well.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/30/19 01:22 PM

Yes, the handles were very short to be very useful choppers/cutters.

I'd love to see a Scrapyard tomahawk, but a bigger version of the Ratchet. Maybe with an 18" handle, 1/4" thick blade, and res-c handle. Something I envision would be like the Dogfather of hawks.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/30/19 11:10 PM

The DogChopper. wink

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/30/19 11:58 PM

Like the Busse Pork Chop but with a Regulator Handle...Pork Scraps!!

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 06/30/19 11:59 PM

Also I wouldn't mins some Basic Boss Jacks...Skinny of course...

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 07/01/19 05:28 AM

Those would be nice as well. wink

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/16/19 03:02 AM

Of all the knives I own, this one was and remains my favorite. It is a Cheap $2.50 yes, Two dollars and Fifty cents. I bought it in the Philippines in about '75 or '76. NOW you know why I like Dan's Chophouse so much. 9.5 inch blade, water buffalo and aluminum handle with melted brass cases for the guard. The sheath cost me 10 times as much as the knife!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_5126 by Randy, on Flickr
Posted By: DogTired

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/16/19 04:51 AM

You're a man of many stories Randy smile

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/16/19 04:53 AM

Halloween is when I take mine off! I fit in much better that way grin

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/16/19 05:02 AM

How about DSF with a Regulator handle?

Actually, I'd like to see a re-release of the differentially heat treated M6...

And heck, how about a differentially heat treated SR101 BWM blade with an M6 or DF grip???

Nothing beats differentially heat treated SR101, IMO. I'd love to see some diff treated SR77 give it a go, though.

Ooooooh! How about a Chopwwiler or Rat Mastiff blade design with a Res-C grip?

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/16/19 02:24 PM

3/16" is a good blade thickness. wink

I agree. 3/16" is great for general purpose use in a 5" blade.

After 5" I like to step up to FFG 1/4".

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/16/19 02:25 PM

However, I did like my Skinny ASHs. Although they felt "fragile" to me.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/16/19 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DogTired
Nothing beats differentially heat treated SR101, IMO.

I'll take DHT SR101 over any other material (including INFI).

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/16/19 08:16 PM

You were probably just used to the much thicker blades Gary. Now Me, I would gladly give up both my Trash 1 AND CG ASH1 for a Skinny Ash. What I call overly thick blades are those that come in at more that a quarter inch thick. Even a quarter inch can be to thick in certain situations and for shorter blade lengths, at least for my likes.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/16/19 10:46 PM

Yep! wink

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/24/19 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Architect
Originally Posted by DogTired
Nothing beats differentially heat treated SR101, IMO.

I'll take DHT SR101 over any other material (including INFI).

What he said.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/26/19 08:40 PM

Just thought of one I must have..mini taliwacker! With a 4" - 4.5" blade....choil...no choil??? How about mini one like the War Dog.

I need that one Dan! Hook a brother up please!!

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/27/19 12:06 AM

OH MAN! A Mini Taliwhacker would be one of the best knives ANY of the Bussekin companies could ever come out with. AND I bet they would sell several thousand to er ah um our Big Brother.

I know that I would have to buy one or two. They would be the perfect blade for our worsening world.

PLEASE DAN, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE??????

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/27/19 12:07 AM

Rich is such a WISE Lt. You really need to listen to him Dan.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/27/19 12:15 AM

You know, I find it hard to believe none of us before RN thought of a Mini Taliwhacker. Now that WOULD be one sweet blade. It could serve as an all around "Survival" blade, capable of accomplishing almost any task you brought before it. AND it would make a mean SD blade as well. It just might prove (IF no more than a 4.5 inch blade length, preferably 4.0). Any Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine would be well served by this a knife like this.

Whatta Ya say Dan?

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/27/19 01:49 AM

Did the Taliwacker have a tanto tip?

Didnt the original have an 8 to 9 inch blade?

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/27/19 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by RN
Just thought of one I must have..mini taliwacker! With a 4" - 4.5" blade....choil...no choil??? How about mini one like the War Dog.

I need that one Dan! Hook a brother up please!!

I've always wanted a Pocket Whacker...

cool
MM

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/27/19 05:09 AM

Did the Taliwacker have a tanto tip?

Didnt the original have an 8 to 9 inch blade?

Yes, a tanto tip, and I believe the blade was 6 7/8" long. I will have to check mine.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/27/19 12:30 PM

Just remember guys, a REAL Tanto tip is not the abrupt angled transition to the tip we see. THAT is an Americanized tanto tip. The original tanto tips were more rounded as in a conventionally ground knife blade.

And yes Tom I believe you are correct on the Original being 6 7/8 inches long.

Re: What Is Your Dream Knife? - 08/27/19 01:03 PM

True about the tanto tip as well. wink
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums