Scrap Yard Knife Company

Hobbies Other Than Knives?

Posted By: ScrapSquatch

Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/15/20 02:42 AM

What hobbies do you guys take part in aside from knives?
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/15/20 03:29 AM

Woodworking with hand tools, Ham Radio, coffee roasting, flintlock rifle building, Asian cooking and straight razor shaving.
Posted By: Massive Metal

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/15/20 03:31 AM

Food eating and Beer Drinking
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/15/20 10:34 AM

^^^ Right on! smile I also like to make my own sheaths, fish on my pond, target practice in my back yard, work on survival/preps, and chase my wife around the house. wink
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/15/20 01:35 PM

Tom, you would be just like the dog that chases a car. IF you catch her you wouldn't know what to do with her. grin
Posted By: Massive Metal

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/16/20 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Private Klink
^^^ Right on! smile I also like to make my own sheaths, fish on my pond, target practice in my back yard, work on survival/preps, and chase my wife around the house. wink

Nothing about "Cats"?

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/16/20 03:03 AM

Cats and dogs. Both taste equally nice when sauted or just made into a stew. Yeah, I spent 3 years in the Philippines.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/16/20 06:56 AM

You cannibal!!! frown

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/16/20 03:11 PM

CANNIBAL! Nah, They weren't American animals. wink

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/16/20 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Settanta
Woodworking with hand tools, Ham Radio, coffee roasting, flintlock rifle building, Asian cooking and straight razor shaving.

I once looked into CB radios. The guy I talked to had a 3 story building and only used the first floor for buisness. The reason he wanted a tall building was so he could set up a 30ft antenna on top with little to no structural interference. He was also talking about how once he was talking to a USA soldier on a aircraft carrier off the coast of Japan with one of his radios. Pretty impressive.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/16/20 07:52 PM

What type of fish is your pond stocked with and do you eat what you catch? How long is your shooting range?

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/16/20 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Massive Metal

Food eating and Beer Drinking

This is a life mission I can get behind.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/16/20 08:18 PM

S/S, my pond is stocked with bluegill, catfish, and largemouth bass, which is pretty standard for S/W Missouri. I live on 165 acres, so my shooting range is limited to that. smile When I shoot in my backyard it is only 70 yards.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/16/20 09:49 PM

WHY would you stock bluegill and not Crappie!?? Oh the shame of it all. wink

OH BTW, If you ever see a red 2010 Escape or a white 2011 Jeep Patriot, PLEASE don't shoot. Just come on down and I'll fry you some nice fish. smile

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/17/20 05:32 AM

Randy, the Conservation Department recommends the bluegill instead of crappie. wink

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/17/20 01:30 PM

Randy, the Conservation Department recommends the bluegill instead of crappie. wink

Really. I wonder why, hardier breed?
Posted By: MonkeyBomb

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/17/20 02:49 PM

Bowhunting/Archery, Firearms instruction, ATV's, Kayaking, camping.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/17/20 10:06 PM

In the little once a week newspaper from the lake near (19 miles) us they have a picture of a guy holding a 6 pound bass with an 11" crappie in its mouth. Nice bonus!

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/17/20 10:37 PM

Holy Smoke! Now THAT would have been a catch.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/18/20 04:56 AM

And some good eating! smile

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/18/20 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by MonkeyBomb

I have been on ATV's before, never anything too exciting, but also I would not want to push them. I make ATV's a little top heavy (prone to tipping). I prefer side by sides, I get plenty crazy then.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/18/20 06:02 AM

Bluegill is some good eating. Went fishing some time back with 4 others on a boat in lake Erie for bluegill. From 9 in the morning to 5 in the PM we all tagged out at 30 each. It didn't even make sense, the processors said that it was pretty normal for the year though.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/18/20 09:11 AM

Lake Erie is supposed to be quite the fishery...now. wink

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/18/20 11:28 PM

paperbag

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/18/20 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by ScrapSquatch

I have been on ATV's before, never anything too exciting, but also I would not want to push them. I make ATV's a little top heavy (prone to tipping). I prefer side by sides, I get plenty crazy then.

ATV's are solid performers if you know how to ride them. I have done some pretty interesting stuff on them, I am probably going to get a side by side eventually. My wife likes to ATV but there are times she would rather be a passenger and take pictures. Plus I could take my pup along when she doesn't go. I have been eyeballing a Can-am Maverick Sport RC.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/18/20 11:45 PM

M/B, I agree with you on the ATV's and side by sides. While I enjoy my little Arctic Cat 250, I would like to have a side by side so that my wife could join me tooling around our property. Up in central Illinois my brother in law has a side by side and we always go tooling around his 40 plus acreage with trails cut out in the woods.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/19/20 01:43 AM

Well dang. Lost my post. Patty and I are looking about a Side by Side. Just something simple, don't need 4X4 but would like enough power/size to spend an afternoon in if we wanted to. Y'all got any suggestions?

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/19/20 05:59 AM

A lot is going to depend on the trails you plan on riding. Width etc. I will say 4x4 is a must. Wet leaves can suck. Mud can really suck.

I suggest looking and sitting in them. Rent one of you can. None are cheap. Some are insanely priced.

I'm looking for a Jack of all trades with the one I want. It will spend time in the mountains in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming with occasional trips to dunes and Slick rock in Utah.

But there are a bunch of different ones to choose from.
Posted By: rth548

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/19/20 10:25 AM

I don’t mess with knives so much anymore. Fishing, hunting and guns in general for me.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/19/20 12:17 PM

My brother in law has a Yamaha Wolverine 4 X 4, and it is a LOT of fun. Even if you don't "hot dog" it the 4 wheel drive is nice to have.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/19/20 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by rth548
I don’t mess with knives so much anymore. Fishing, hunting and guns in general for me.

Do you prefer hand guns or rifles, and what do you like to hunt?

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/19/20 05:10 PM

ATV's are solid performers if you know how to ride them. I have done some pretty interesting stuff on them, I am probably going to get a side by side eventually. My wife likes to ATV but there are times she would rather be a passenger and take pictures. Plus I could take my pup along when she doesn't go. I have been eyeballing a Can-am Maverick Sport RC.

I don't doubt you about them being performers. They can go alot of places that a side by side can't slot easier too.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/20/20 03:10 AM

We mainly want one to tool around in town (in MO. you can ride an UTV/Side by side on ANY ROADWAY within 5 miles of your home. Not legal to do that on a golf cart. Plus going out to the BIL's place about 4.9 wink miles away and just enjoying the outdoors. MIGHT occasionally get up into "the hills" but nothing really way back and beyond. All on established roads of some kind or at least trails.

We just want one powerful enough for the two of us to cruise maybe 40mph or so and with a small bed to hall rocks or what not.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/20/20 03:34 AM

Get one Randy, I think both of you would enjoy it. wink

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/20/20 03:41 AM

We are thinking about it. May go Tomorrow or Tuesday looking around.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/20/20 03:49 AM

Good luck on the hunt. And make sure you let Patty drive it as well!

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/20/20 03:38 PM

Oh if we DO get one, she will. She's kinda like me when you talk about spending that kind of money, sort of wishy washy. Want one, don't want to spend the bucks, want one, repeat.
Posted By: coyotebc

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/20/20 03:46 PM

I don't doubt you about them being performers. They can go alot of places that a side by side can't slot easier too.

A few years back I flipped mine crossing a stream.
The atv fell on top of me and my head was trapped under water.
Luckily I was able to leg press the quad off of me and get my head up.

I was also lucky in that I was in northern BC hunting and that day was unseasonably warm, so hypothermia wasn't a concern.
I spent the next 4 days in camp.

The other good thing was in that group were 2 paramedics and a retired paramedic so they checked me out pretty good.
The 18 hour drive home from the camp was a killer though

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/20/20 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Oh if we DO get one, she will. She's kinda like me when you talk about spending that kind of money, sort of wishy washy. Want one, don't want to spend the bucks, want one, repeat.

Randy, you can't take all your money with you; live a little and share some fun times! smile

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/21/20 05:08 AM

You're right Tom. You can't take it with you. They only make caskets in one size! grin

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/21/20 07:32 AM

You would need one bigger than Noah's ark! smile

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/21/20 03:34 PM

Coyotebc

That was basically a best case scenario then. Glad you ok, and now you got another cool story to tell.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/21/20 03:35 PM

Coyotebc

That was basically a best case scenario then. Glad you ok, and now you got another cool story to tell.

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/21/20 08:50 PM

You would need one bigger than Noah's ark! smile

Haha, IF that were only the case. Heck, and I MIGHT buy a few others for well... smile

Re: Hobbies Other Than Knives? - 04/21/20 09:22 PM

Uh-huh. smile
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums