Scrap Yard Knife Company

Health and Fitness

Posted By: Twoody88

Health and Fitness - 07/25/21 03:51 PM

This is the place to share what you did today to benifit your well being ! Lifting weights , cardio vascular work, meal prep, supplementation ETC. Not only are we training our bodys but our minds with the discipline it takes to succeed at our goals. If you post a personal goal, best lift, longest run etc it serves as great motivation to others and can allow you to look back and track progress and stay on other dogs when they start slackin !! This is a NO judgement (unless critique is asked) thread. Im a certified PT and x bodybuilder that left a deeply routed life in the fitness industry to persue a more stable family life and become a lazy union man grin now my kids growing up and im finding i need to give MY body the attention it has been neglected of and to lead by example. Its easy for us to get distracted and even though it seems like an hour a day a few times a week is easy to make ITS NOT ALWAYS SO. Aside from that..EVEN HARDER its the 23 hours outside of the gym/fitness routine whatever your venue may be that make the difference. Nutrition, rest, mental health all make the building blocks to a strong physical body. I feel in these times us dogs all need to be on point with ourselves more than ever. LONG LIVE THE BROTHERHOOD cool

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/25/21 04:05 PM

Feel free to send me a message if any of you dogs are not comfortable in the open forum and would like any opinions recommendations tips etc. Nutrition, workout, diet, drugs are all common with the territory and these days theres even more smoke and mirrors than ever with all the BS fake influncers and diet fads social media has endorced. NO FOOFY PROGRAMS -NO BRO SCIENCE- NO FADS - just hardcore old school WORK. Consistancy is key smile

***just to be 100% clear one more time im not endorcing , selling, promoting or looking for "online clients"***

I love helping and used to volunteer with highschool kids and elderly when i could. As cheesy as it sounds blush.. Strange feeligs of happiness come over me from helping where i can, this is a truly enjoyable easy thing for me to chat about ! lets all benifit from one another! laugh

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/25/21 04:18 PM

Today im going to train Delts. Higher volume lots of controlling squeezes at full contraction and constant tension on the head im hitting. (Delts aka shoukders can be easily broken into 3 heads to directly hit depending on movement and body position, front, side and rear.) For rear heads ill do 4 sets of bentover lateral raises aka flys. 1 warmup and 3 working sets around 20 reps each at about 90% intensity increasing weight as i go and possibly finish with a drop set.. Side heads ill do standing lateral raises and for front delts single arm alternating front raises. Just trying to get all my joints back in the swing. No heavy presses or super intense sets... yet wink
Posted By: RN

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/26/21 10:55 AM

Today will be a kettlebell day for me. Usually it's a mellow work out of either 80 or 160 reps with 12 different excercises...but I'm feeling spry so will do 300 reps with 10 different excercises. It's with a 30lb kettlebell. I started playing with kettlebells after watching Keith Webber on Joe Rogan's show. I feel like it hits lots of small muscle groups for core strength, stability and movement.
Posted By: Massive Metal

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/26/21 03:32 PM

This morning I did some cardio on my Rogue Echo bike (Pandemic Purchase)

Tonight I will do KB swings 5 x 5 and some Turkish Get ups

I also always do some Push Up, Pull up and Sit Ups throughout the day to "Grease the Groove"

MM

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/26/21 03:47 PM

Abolsutley agree with the kettlebells, much for "functional" way of lifting than strict movements i normally do for aesthetics with dumbells and bars. Im gona go lay some subfloor today wich should give me a good calorie burning day of work, then try to hit chest or back tonight with free weights.

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/26/21 03:48 PM

When we downsized we had to part with the elliptical and stationary bike frown

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/26/21 05:13 PM

Maybe we should run some type of progress/commitment reward. Set a realistic goal. Acheive it and get a patch or sticker etc along those lines. Everytime i built an oldshool gym at one of my places everyone would call it "the yard" maybe we could put the dog head logo with a bending barbell over it or somthing in relation if dans cool with that as a forum thing.. just spitballing ideas.. we need to bribe those old dogs with a little somthing to get em in here with us too .. ill cover the costs of materials and shipping smile

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/27/21 04:13 PM

Today is what I call my push-pull day- pushups, pull ups, squat-press, and an ab exercise. Simple routine but I like it a lot and I almost always feel great after.

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/27/21 04:28 PM

Chest day for me today, incline presses, low macchine presses that simulate a minor decline press and some pec deck flys . Maybe finish blasting some high rep pushups

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/27/21 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by RN
Today is what I call my push-pull day- pushups, pull ups, squat-press, and an ab exercise. Simple routine but I like it a lot and I almost always feel great after.

The simpler the better.

Today I'm gonna stand on a rubber ball and do tricep kickbacks....J/K

Today (and on most "off" days) I do intervals on the Rogue Echo and some heavy bag work.
I'll also practice some basic BJJ moves; Rolls, Shrimping, Bridging and Stand to Base.
Stand to Base is important. Basically if you get thrown to the grown it shows you how to get up safely and keep fighting.

MM
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/27/21 08:28 PM

Treadmill and cabinet ups. Don’t laugh. Stand two to three feet away from kitchen cabinets (or where ever). Place your hands on the edge of the cabinet. Lean forward touching your chest to the cabinet, then extend your arms. Kinda like doing a semi-regular push-up. And yeah, if you do it right, you WILL start to feel it. Hey, us old folk without access to equipment gotta improvise.

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/27/21 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Massive Metal
Originally Posted by RN

The simpler the better.

Today (and on most "off" days) I do intervals on the Rogue Echo and some heavy bag work.
I'll also practice some basic BJJ moves; Rolls, Shrimping, Bridging and Stand to Base.
Stand to Base is important. Basically if you get thrown to the grown it shows you how to get up safely and keep fighting.

MM

I wish I could have a heavy bag here...just no place for it. Been looking this week actually for a sub for it I could put in my basement that wouldn't take up a ton of space or be super loud. I didn't know you did bjj MM. Good on you! My plan is to get back into it when I split the Yard. Did it fore several years before marriage and loved it.

Good on you Randy! As long as we keep moving!

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/27/21 10:15 PM

Its all good!!! Ive done that plenty skunk, its all about the pump! I do calf raises on sets of stairs all the time id say thats the same category as dips on the counter corners. when i was 17 in my first apartment i used to use a couch foot rest as a bench and an ez bar and single plate loaded dumbell for everything.

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/27/21 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by RN
Originally Posted by RN

The simpler the better.

MM

I wish I could have a heavy bag here...just no place for it. Been looking this week actually for a sub for it I could put in my basement that wouldn't take up a ton of space or be super loud. I didn't know you did bjj MM. Good on you! My plan is to get back into it when I split the Yard. Did it fore several years before marriage and loved it.

Good on you Randy! As long as we keep moving!

Thanks. Yeah years ago I got my Blue Belt and like tons of people I dropped out soon after....$175.00 a month! I just didn't have the cash, but I kept up my 3 times weekly solo routine.
If an attacker made of air comes at me...look out!!

MM

I would recommend one of those BOB dummies as a sub for a heavy bag, but anything is gonna be noisy.

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 12:37 AM

Those air attacks can be viscious !!

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 02:07 AM

Off for a night time sauna smile
Posted By: Dumpster Dan

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Treadmill and cabinet ups. Don’t laugh. Stand two to three feet away from kitchen cabinets (or where ever). Place your hands on the edge of the cabinet. Lean forward touching your chest to the cabinet, then extend your arms. Kinda like doing a semi-regular push-up. And yeah, if you do it right, you WILL start to feel it. Hey, us old folk without access to equipment gotta improvise.

My muscles hurt just from the conversation but I do feel more fit smile

I pulled a muscle on a cabinet (liquor)...now I need therapy. LOL...bourbon therapy

SkunkHunter I dont know about you but as I get older my recovery time stinks.

I am glad to see the Dogs taking care of themselves...contributes to a strong pack!!!

Dan

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 03:32 AM

Dan, recovery time is no longer measured in minutes. Hours work nicely. grin wink
Posted By: Private Klink

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 04:38 AM

Sometimes DAYS ! smile

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 04:05 PM

Im half some of YALLS (in my merican accent) age and im usualy sore before i even start grin

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 04:07 PM

Dan you must be a tank from lifting those whisky barrels every day wink
Posted By: Dumpster Dan

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Twoody88
Dan you must be a tank from lifting those whisky barrels every day wink

Yep....in my mind I am LOL

Dan

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 05:26 PM

Today was an early morning hike

I'll see what happens later

MM

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 05:33 PM

Just tradition weight lifting for me...finished with turkish get ups and abs.

These 3 work outs plus a day of shadow kick-boxing and resistance bands and then a "power day" with slam balls, sand bags, sledge hammer/tire and shuttle runs are most of my days. 5 days one and 1 day off. Plus in the mornings doing a short jog..or rucking...or bike riding 3-4x a week is most of my workouts.

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 06:22 PM

Sounds easy RN wink whistle

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 06:44 PM

And yet...the dad body persists! eek laugh

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by RN
And yet...the dad body persists! eek laugh

Lol! Coop of Garage Gym Reviews has an $85K home gym and, well....at least his mustache is cool!

If you want real results we need a Nutrition thread...which I WILL avoid at all costs

MM

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 08:21 PM

i already have the wife saying "stopping beer would do it" ...i don't need more of that!

hah!

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 08:31 PM

Haha, drink “lite” beer and limit yourself to a six pack a week.

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 09:03 PM

Diet and nutrition recipes tips and your programs would be a great addition in here. I didnt want to step on the scrapyard cookbook thread that is all

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 09:04 PM

Its all in moderation. If your bodys fighting alcohol its not going to be repairing and rebuiling muscle. That said occasionally upur body needs to relax and de stress and alcohol can be great for that, aslong as you stay hydrated

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 09:06 PM

I always trained a 5 on 1 off split but as of late my bodys been responding alot better to 2 or 3 on 1 or 2 off.

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/28/21 09:34 PM

Hitting upper back for width now. Looking forward to a heavy meatloaf lunch and fresh caught crab gumbo later

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/29/21 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Haha, drink “lite” beer and limit yourself to a six pack a week.

Sir, English please

MM

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/29/21 04:56 PM

Today I'll do cardio, Bodyweight and some Martial arts stuff

MM

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/29/21 05:20 PM

Does that involve one legged bosu ball squats grin

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/29/21 05:21 PM

Chest day for me

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/29/21 10:16 PM

Ran suicides today...7x with my teen son (who started track this year) coaching me. It hurt, but we had some laughs and i worked up a sweat

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/29/21 11:19 PM

Took the small hound for a hike this morning then a swim in the stream/river. Helping the kiddo do her paper route wich is an amazing workout for her as we live on some crazy hillside. Chest pump incoming soon for myself

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/29/21 11:22 PM

Lifting has nothing on track, id puke after one warm up lap lol.

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/30/21 01:29 AM

Does that involve one legged bosu ball squats grin

Yes

MM

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/30/21 02:06 AM

In spandex capri compression bottoms with shorts ontop and a stringer tank i hope..if so then sure ill film your set for your snap story, i know your gona ask eventually grin grin wink

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/30/21 02:07 AM

Ok ok.. maybe some judgement is healthy. (I know your jk MM) so am i whistle

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/30/21 02:13 AM

In spandex capri compression bottoms with shorts ontop and a stringer tank i hope..if so then sure ill film your set for your snap story, i know your gona ask eventually grin grin wink

You forgot the fanny pack with my Power Bars in it

MM

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/30/21 02:28 AM

How have you been holding back so long NOT talking about all the pros of your vegan lifestyle im missing out on.

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/30/21 02:29 AM

You forgot the fanny pack with my Power Bars in it

MM

grin

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/30/21 05:54 PM

Leg day today. Going to shoot very high rep to try and stimulate some serious pain. Thinking not counting warm up sets.. 2 exercises 1 set of each at 100 reps. Gona focus on quads, 100 reps of leg extensions 100 reps of narrow leg presses with alternating toes in out and straight each 30 and maybe finish with some sissy squats. Next leg day will be glutes and hams. Then leg day after that a heavy squat session.
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/31/21 06:47 PM

I’m lifting today. Increasing my 16 oz reps. Starting 25 oz reps next week. I’m working toward lifting 40 oz by the fall. I also want to get 6 pack abs. Does anyone know how much I have to drink to get them?

Re: Health and Fitness - 07/31/21 09:30 PM

Uh Ray ole buddy, I think you kinda misunderstood a couple things.

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/01/21 06:00 AM

Ray has the right idea. wink smile

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/01/21 08:19 PM

confused

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/01/21 08:22 PM

Ray, if your lying on your back with your drink on a table at your feet.. try taking one sip per sit up , id say about 1000.00 in booze a few months and alot of hangovers youll be 6 pack attackin the beach
Posted By: Ray Settanta

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/01/21 11:59 PM

That sounds like too much work. Maybe I can have my wife grab my arms and pull me up to take a drink. Sorry to hijack the thread but I thought it was getting to be too serious. smile

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/02/21 12:11 AM

Im impressed you held back that long wink

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/02/21 02:28 AM

"Old age and treachery defeats youth and bravery" every time. smile smile smile

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/02/21 03:26 AM

Yup, what Tom said.

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/02/21 06:59 PM

You old dogs DO KNOW when millenials talk about "old man strength" its not the excess that you have its them justifying the lack they have whistle wink

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/02/21 07:01 PM

BIG ARMS DAY TODAY gotta get these pyhons up to 24s like hogan. Been eating vitamins and saying prayers

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/03/21 02:07 AM

Excess vitamins just leave your body in urine ; I limit myself to one multi-vitamin a day. wink

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/03/21 02:11 AM

My body absorbs ALL them vitamins mad

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/03/21 02:11 AM

grin

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/03/21 08:03 AM

Well T-88, I guess you are an EXCEPTIONAL Dog. smile

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/03/21 02:55 PM

Lol i wish. Just a dog with sore arms

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/03/21 02:56 PM

And vibrabt neon pee whistle

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/08/21 08:15 PM

So my kids really into skateboarding as of the last coupple months.. so old dad had to get back on a board too ofcourse. I rode from about age 5 - 16 every day - literally. Skateboarding was life and eventually left behind all other organized sports to focus all my time on that. So here we are almost 20 years later and probably 60 plus lbs heavier. WHAT A WORKOUT just pushing to the store is. Im not sure whats more tiring the left leg balancing and holding up 200+ lbs or the right from pumping. Either way im getting some insane cardio from this and utilizing ALOT of little stabilization and fast twitch muscles that havnt been touched in ages.

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/08/21 10:17 PM

So, can one of you smart dogs explain to me what it is turkish get ups do/work on. Every website I read is vague in explaining them...just that they are wonderful and do everything

I like doing them and they are tough...just no real good idea why or what I'm working on!

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/08/21 10:28 PM

Rn, here is an explanation from the website MasterClass:

5 Benefits of Doing Turkish Get-ups
Consider the many benefits of regularly performing Turkish get-ups.

Full-body workout: Turkish get-ups work major muscle groups across your entire body, including your glutes, traps, lower-back muscles, hamstrings, triceps, lats, and calves.
Core strength: You rotate through several positions during Turkish get-ups, engaging your core throughout the entire exercise. By extending the kettlebell above your head during the workout, you put special emphasis on your oblique muscles.
Improved posture: Turkish get-ups activate muscles in your upper body that help improve your posture.
Shoulder stability: By holding a free weight directly above your shoulder during Turkish get-ups, you enhance shoulder mobility and stabilization. Turkish get-ups also strengthen the muscles around your shoulder joint.
Lower-body mobility: Turkish get-ups require hip flexion as you transition between different positions. By engaging your hip flexor muscles, Turkish get-ups are useful warm-ups for other compound exercises that use a hip-hinging movement, like the deadlift.

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/08/21 10:30 PM

Also I have found that a lot of KB exercises require a decent co-ordination of breath and body tension.
It took me awhile to really get this.

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/08/21 10:34 PM

Basically theyre like a jack of all master of none exercise. They pretty much directly and indirectly hit every muscle of the side your pushing with and that direct / indirect muscle contact will swap when you swap sides if that makes sence. Amazing core work with every movement throughout. Intensity can really change them up too if your doing more slow squeezes or faster explosive movements for example. Im no expert on these though just giving my limited first hand opinions.

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/08/21 10:35 PM

Massive metal said it perfectly. I didnt see that when i posted as my page hadnt refreshed

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/09/21 11:04 AM

Thanks guys. Better than what I've found. I spent a bit on youtube looking for an explanation, failed and figured I would ask here.

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/09/21 02:44 PM

Gona try and sneak a chest workout in today smile

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/09/21 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by RN
Thanks guys. Better than what I've found. I spent a bit on youtube looking for an explanation, failed and figured I would ask here.

One of the things that I learned is that most KB people consider strength to be a skill.
So that a training session is to them a "learning or Practice session". They dont "workout" as much as learn.
So when everything becomes co-ordinated thats when you really begin to learn the movement.

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/09/21 05:22 PM

It definatly takes alot more than just learning to get a good mind muscle connection like with lifting weights, and even that isnt usualy a quick or easy process for most. Respects for putting in that frustrating ground work !!

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/09/21 07:20 PM

Thanks!
At best I'm an advanced beginner. Also a Power Lifter could spend 50 hours on the minute details of a deadlift.
Getting results with it is the hard part

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/09/21 09:45 PM

Trial and error and time under the bar. Cant do it any other way

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/19/21 05:14 AM

Hows everyones workouts been ?

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/20/21 01:43 AM

Did a lot of walking today. Sighted in some guns. My umarex Orion 22 air gun (2 shots touching, and the 2nd one just had the pellet showing on the back side, and the 3rd blasted through a 2x4 from 30ft.

The other was a Walter PPS-M2 W/ Shield RMSc RDS. Also from 10 yards. Oh and my Hellcat just to verify the Irons were good with my carry Ammo.

All are good to go. grin

Re: Health and Fitness - 08/20/21 01:46 AM

Oh and 20 shots through the Air Rifle still left me with 3000psi of pressure! Down from 3500.

Re: Health and Fitness - 01/11/22 09:18 PM

Wife got me a Wavemaster XXL for a birthday/Christmas gift that got in last week. Been fun hammering on that..been forever since I've thrown strikes and kicks with real power. Shadow boxing just isn't the same.

So my workout plan has been:

Traditional lifting day
Kettlebell routine
shadowboxing followed by resistance bands
power day- slam balls, sandbags, sledgehammer/tire, snatches, sprints, farmer carries
push-pull day with push-ups, pulls ups, ab exercises and squat presses

Any idea for how to add in the bag work? A totally separate day? Do rounds as a warm-up? I like my shadowboxing day...it's a lighter/quicker day and nice to have when I'm tired or short on time. I bruised my heel from rucking so my cardio is next to nothing now as I heal up before heading back to some jogging and rucking again.

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated!
Posted By: gun dog

Re: Health and Fitness - 01/11/22 10:12 PM

Hopefully my doc clears me next week and I can start hiking and then running again in February.
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums