Scrap Yard Knife Company

I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations.

Posted By: Endeavour Morse

I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/16/15 03:12 AM

Periodically I sell all of my gear and start over. I've been doing this for over 30 years, but during the last five or so it's only because I enjoy doing so.

The time has arrived so I'm selling my current set ups and looking for new. As such, I'd like a few recommendations:

LED HEADLAMP. I'd prefer an AA battery model for compatibility with other kit. Currently I have Coleman AAA.

SMALL PACK CARRIED KNIFE SHARPENER: I'm looking for an effective tool to maintain my blades in the field. Small and light are critical.

SMALL LED AA BATTERY FLASHLIGHT: I currently have a Maratac Rev2. Is there something better?

WOOBIE: I can't afford a $300 Kifaru. What are my other options? A super compact sleeping bag would be acceptable too.

3 PC STAINLESS MESS KIT: I currently have East German 3pc kits, but would like stainless over aluminum.

I have all of my new field gear ordered (most has already been delivered). Just need some help with the above.

Posted By: Mastiff

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/16/15 03:46 AM

I have a few different types of headlamps but they all have one thing in common, they have a strap the goes over the top of the head. I like the extra security that strap offers. I remember in the military, I used the crap out of the red lens filter to save my night vision. I should probably find some to fit each of my headlamps, just in case...

For a EDC flashlight, I love the Fenix PD35. It a bit large, but man can it light up the area. VERY happy with this lighting option.

Would like to see a list of the field gear you already have/ordered.
Posted By: MonkeyBomb

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/16/15 03:50 AM

A couple of ideas for an enhanced wobbie

http://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/insulated-poncho/

And

From Hill people gear

I like this one a lot. Because of the size and versatility. It's still pricey but not Kirafu pricey.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/4/ProductID/19/Default.aspx

For headlamps, I have had great luck waiting for last years model from Princeton tech and black diamond.
Posted By: DogTired

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/16/15 03:36 PM

For headlamps I strongly recommend the Rayovac Indestructible headlamp. $14 at home depot and it works great. Simple, solid, reliable. Two settings--bright and low.

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/16/15 03:40 PM

I recommend the small Rayovac Indestructible 2aa flashlight. Again, simple, cheap, reliable. Titanium aluminum alloy, two modes, and it works every time I push the button. I have more expensive ones, but of you just need something basic, it's hard to beat.

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/16/15 03:41 PM

Hmm. The headlamp may be AAA.
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/16/15 10:21 PM

Gary, for a head lamp you might try looking into Princton Tec. I THINK they have one for rock climbers/carers with

1. Red led.
2. White led for close in work
3. White led for longer range work.

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/16/15 10:23 PM

Here ya go gary. 5 intensity levels, 35 bucks.

http://www.princetontec.com/sync
Posted By: lazi

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/18/15 12:49 AM

Just bought a couple BlackHawk L-2A2 for $10 with "prime" shipping.

These are 2xAA so maybe bigger than what you are wanting. I just passed on a good deal on Eneloop "Pro" 8xAA, some AAA batteries, and a charger for $35 so I'm kind of kicking myself now. It was my plan for some years now to find some decent AA lights and run them with Eneloop batteries. Could've wrapper that up for under $100...

I would just shop cleareance on the tactical websites and for the rest.

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/18/15 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mastiff
I have a few different types of headlamps but they all have one thing in common, they have a strap the goes over the top of the head.

Yes - that's a very good recommendation. I too prefer the extra security (and it seems to keep them from slipping down in front of my eyes).

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/18/15 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by MonkeyBomb
A couple of ideas for an enhanced wobbie

http://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/insulated-poncho/

For headlamps, I have had great luck waiting for last years model from Princeton tech and black diamond.

The Wiggy's is the one I was considering. I hadn't heard of the HP option. I'm still undecided. I might not even end up with a woobie in my hiking pack.

Princeton Tech is also what I was considering.

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/18/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by DogTired
For headlamps I strongly recommend the Rayovac Indestructible headlamp. $14 at home depot and it works great. Simple, solid, reliable. Two settings--bright and low.

For $14 I'll stop by a HD to look at one. I've had bad luck with "cheap" (under $30) headlamps. Their electronics and switching is susceptible to moisture (including sweat). They also have poor quality straps (fatigue easily and no longer have enough elasticity).

I don't mind paying for a premium product if I get premium performance. However, if a perfectly viable options costs less...why not look at it?

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/18/15 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Gary, for a head lamp you might try looking into Princton Tec. I THINK they have one for rock climbers/carers with

1. Red led.
2. White led for close in work
3. White led for longer range work.

Randy,
This is indeed the model I've been researching. I definitely want to end up with Red and White for night vision preservation (and because a red LED wont' disturb my chickens when I'm out dealing with predators at O Dark 30..in the rain...)

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/18/15 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by lazi
Just bought a couple BlackHawk L-2A2 for $10 with "prime" shipping.

These are 2xAA so maybe bigger than what you are wanting. I just passed on a good deal on Eneloop "Pro" 8xAA, some AAA batteries, and a charger for $35 so I'm kind of kicking myself now. It was my plan for some years now to find some decent AA lights and run them with Eneloop batteries. Could've wrapper that up for under $100...

I would just shop cleareance on the tactical websites and for the rest.

I would actually prefer AA due to some other gear running on them. I don't like carrying two sets of rechargeable batteries.
Posted By: El CacaFuego

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/18/15 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by DogTired
I recommend the small Rayovac Indestructible 2aa flashlight. Again, simple, cheap, reliable. Titanium aluminum alloy, two modes, and it works every time I push the button. I have more expensive ones, but of you just need something basic, it's hard to beat.

I agree, I've had mine for years. They do lose brightness as the voltage drops, BUT it's been run over with a tow truck (twice) and still good to go. the rubber has worn off of the switch end as well, since I hold it with my mouth all the time. not a bad deal at all for 10$

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/20/15 02:20 AM

Gary, you might try Fenix head lamps. They ain't cheap, but Fenix is quality.
Posted By: JarheadJournalist

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/20/15 10:16 AM

I've been using this Princeton tec for about five years. Works great and has a slide down red filter and a holder for a second filter. It comes with red, blue and green. It has deployed with me on quiet a few operations and has been very helpful here in Nepal. Drawback ... AAA. I try to keep everything AA as well. [img]https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0xOz8n4Bb2ReGlQTzEyc1RUalU/edit?usp=docslist_api[/img]

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/20/15 10:18 AM

Diasharp makes tiny folding sharpeners. I've been carrying them for years with a Dogbone ceramic sharpener to finish off the edge.

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/20/15 10:20 AM

I EDC a the latest Maratac stainless AA as well. I'd prefer a push button, but haven't found one as solidly built.

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/20/15 10:25 AM

Woobie. I'm partial to the newer G.I. zip up poncho liners. You can find them retail for about $60. Uncle Sam's Retail is about $40 when they have them in stock.
Posted By: AZMTHotDog

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/21/15 08:13 AM

I'm not a Surefire flashlight snob as the brand is generally way overpriced, but I have used the E2L AA Outdoorsman as my edc in a nylon maglite pouch now for about 4 years and love it. The slightly larger tube of this model has excellent retention in the maglite holster, but you might want a flap to cover it if you think it might come out. I have only ever had it yank out once when the clip caught on an exhaust stack on a semi truck right by the door. The batteries last over a week of nights on the low setting with eneloops and one full night on the high setting which is enough to light up over 100 yds away. There are brighter lights out there, but none that I find as handy as this one. The flashlight also worked well as an emergency jack handle for a flat tire in the badlands of Wyoming on the way to Blade at 3am.

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/21/15 08:23 AM

I figured I might as well take a pic of my simple setup for you to see it. The nice thing about the maglite pouch is if it ever tears the stitching it is very easy to sew back up and put back into use.
[Linked Image from i60.tinypic.com]

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/21/15 08:35 AM

Oh, for sharpening, I find the top edge of car passenger windows makes a very good improvised sharpening device if they are of the typical rounded slightly abrasive design. I get funny looks doing it in town while waiting for the wife to come out of whatever store she may be in. With my edc meaner hack I just strop it on the rough inside of my leather belt a majority of the time. Several times I have used the little Smith's plastic pinch grip pocket sharpening rod sets with white rods on one side and gray rods on the other with pretty decent success, but if they get too warm they can come apart and have to be glued back together with gorilla glue. I also carried a telescoping diamond sharpening rod for a couple of years too, but that was kind of a nuisance as it rubbed holes in stuff. Before I found INFI and SR101 I used to have to sharpen stuff a heck of a lot more than I do now.

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/21/15 11:18 PM

For sharpening all I use any more are diamond hones and steels. Oh and a Spyderco medium ceramic stone. Just got another EZ-lap model M rod at Smokey Mtn. Knife works.
Posted By: Andy the Aussie

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/23/15 05:44 AM

For your "wobbie" the Wiggy's are great, I have two along with my original liners. A Sungpac Softie3 is probably about the same size and will be more comfortable if the temps drop however.

For a AA light...

http://www.zebralight.com/SC52-L2-AA-Flashlight-Cool-White_p_136.html

...most impressed with mine. Running it on a 14500 and the difference to a AA is noticable.

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 05/27/15 12:41 PM

There have been a lot of great recommendations in here. I haven't forgotten this thread - I've just been sidetracked.

AZ,
I have quite a few of those Mini-Mag carriers laying around, but need something about the size of a roll of quarters for daily use. I wear dress trousers to work and like to "pocket clip" the light into my off-hand rear pocket.

For my general use bag - I like your suggestion.

Randy,
Diamonds always worry me. I don't want to be too aggressive. I've stayed with ceramic and stone but for quick edge establishment I can see a diamond pad being the way to go.

Andy,
I didn't know about the Softie3. I'll have to look into it. My new backpack is smaller than what I was using and space it at an extreme premium. I might not even be able to fit a woobie inside.
Posted By: adnj

Re: I'm replacing my gear & need recommendations. - 06/09/15 07:47 AM

Take a look at Zebralight for both your headlamp and flashlight. Prices are in the $60 range and the will perform as good as anything out there with customer service that is only rivaled by Surefire.

Their user interfaces are excellent, too.
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums