Scrap Yard Knife Company

Painted Guns & Gear

Posted By: Endeavour Morse

Painted Guns & Gear - 02/03/16 09:20 PM

I'm very seriously considering painting one of my piston AR rifles. If I do I'll document the process and will post a photographic tutorial.

I've painted gear in the past, but currently don't own anything I painted. What about the Yard? Post pics of your painted guns and gear!
Posted By: Spider-Pig

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/03/16 09:24 PM

Ishikawa seems to camo paint just about all his rifles. I'm thinking about having 1 rifle and 1 shotgun dipped.
Posted By: Andy the Aussie

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/03/16 09:50 PM

I have painted some gear over the years, I LOVE Cerakote as a hard wearing finish. I spray the air cure version at home for parts and such. My .300Win is off for a coat of the oven cure version in the next few weeks.

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/04/16 02:23 PM

I have a Cerakoted LWRC and like the finish a lot. I'm thinking about Krylon spray painting another AR.
Posted By: greaser

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/07/16 07:55 AM

currently this is my only painted actually Cerakoted firearm I will be doing more when I have a place to live again.

[Linked Image from i180.photobucket.com]
Posted By: SkunkHunter

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/07/16 08:02 AM

Looks pretty good Grease.

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/07/16 08:22 AM

Thanks Skunk I am happy with it.

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/07/16 08:23 AM

The one I had built about 20 years ago is very similar.

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/07/16 08:24 AM

I used a Colt 1991A1. Figured why spend the extra bucks when it was gonna have parts removed and different parts added to it.

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/07/16 08:25 AM

Yep no point in paying extra for stuff you are going to change anyways.
Posted By: lazi

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/07/16 08:50 AM

I have a 45-70 H&R Handi Rifle I want to get Cerakoted but most placed want more than I paid for the rifle. I may end up doing it myself.

The receiver got a light coat from the factory and now it rusts pretty easily. I figure if I get the H&R coated I can spare my CZ any the days where I decide to go hunting in the rain.

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/07/16 08:53 AM

Always a good plan to use a less expensive one where it may get messed up by the weather.

Howdy lazi.

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/08/16 11:36 AM

Lazi,
Why not just rattle can the Handi?

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/09/16 02:03 PM

I was only thinking Cerakote just to be done with it and not look back. After seeing the price to get it done I it will hurt to look into some options for rattle can paints.

I think the bad finish or the receiver is the main issue. Whatever will keep that from rusting will be fine by me.
Posted By: Andy the Aussie

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/09/16 07:44 PM

If you have a hobby or small spray gun you can get the air cured Cerakote and do it at home. I use this on small parts/stocks and any heat sensitive components.

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/09/16 10:22 PM

lazi,
I was surprised you were considering Cerakoting a Handi based upon the cost of the finish. Andy's suggestion would greatly reduce the cost.

I have owned guns with factory applied Duracoat and Cerakote and home-applied Krylon. Duracoat is garbage. You might as well spray the gun with a $4 can of Wal-Mart Krylon. Heat cured Cerakote is pretty durable (abrasive) and extremely durable (corrosion resistance). However, its not inexpensive.

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/14/16 12:09 AM

Our deer season ends in a couple days so I have a while to decide exactly what I'm going to do. I still haven't ruled out getting a stainless rifle for the purpose of hunting in the rain. But a Handi Rifle should be fairly easy to paint so I will most likely paint the frame just for the experience.

I had always wondered about Duracoat since it got a good bit of attention as the word "tactical" become more and more popular.

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/15/16 12:12 AM

Duracoat was popular then. It's not a good choice.

Krylon will bubble right off with CitriStrip if you don't like the results. Be sure to use copious amounts mineral spirits to remove all lub/oil prior to painting.

Re: Painted Guns & Gear - 02/15/16 06:14 AM

I would suggest Krylon as well if you don't want to put out for cerakoat.
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums