Scrap Yard Knife Company

gorilla glue repairs

Posted By: scrappy

gorilla glue repairs - 03/28/09 10:23 PM

I can't imagine a busse handle needing repair ever. I don't have any small busse knives. I use what ever I have around. in midsize I use the yaurd guard and chopweiler most of any brand. the battle rat is my largest busse. when chopping I use a khuk or golok. my golok has a horn handle that cracked and the blade came out. I filled it with super glue and put the blade back in. I took the golok out chopping last night and had a fire I assuned it would break again but it held up just fine. do you think gorilla glue is strong enough or will the handle probably break again?

p.s. how does busse adhear the res c handles to the tang?
Posted By: Terrorbl

Re: gorilla glue repairs - 03/28/09 10:58 PM

Gorilla glue expands a lot while drying. I would think J B weld might be better? Personally, if it's not too expensive/worth pursuing the warranty I would use this as an excuse to buy a some micarta and get some fasteners from Home Depot/Lowes and take a stab at making my own handles. Not sure if I'm picturing it right, any photos?
Posted By: sumoj275

Re: gorilla glue repairs - 03/29/09 01:33 AM

GG has been great every time I have used it. I have used GG to repair a M14 stock and it is still going strong. JB weld might be better, but I bet the GG would work just fine too.
Posted By: Horn Dog

Re: gorilla glue repairs - 03/29/09 02:35 AM

If it ain't broke......I'd just keep on using that golok and see how it holds up. Modern adhesives are amazingly strong.

btw, the Res C handles are heated and pressed on. The lanyard eyelet is all that really secures them.
Posted By: imaginefj

Re: gorilla glue repairs - 03/29/09 06:18 AM

GG should be fine, epoxy would be my first choice.
Posted By: scrappy

Re: gorilla glue repairs - 03/29/09 09:02 PM

thanks for the feedback.
the tang is very small. it is a hidden tang knife and I don't know how I would make a new handle. hopefully it holds up well.
Posted By: ColdOne

Re: gorilla glue repairs - 03/29/09 10:39 PM

Unless you burn it, or baton on the handle I'll be surprised if you do any serious damage to the handle.

While it isn't a full tang, the tang is a decent size:
[Linked Image from scrapyardknives.com]
© 2024 Scrap Yard Discussion Forums