I've owned a disturbing number of various Arsenal AKs and M1As (many models and duplications). I have no love for the M1A (neat design but quality and execution issues galore). Arsenal AKs are generally good to go. The finish' top coat is garbage, but if you're not a "fit and finish" person...who cares.

Springfield's CS is outstanding - they get a lot of practice...

I never had to use Arsenal's.

At the end of the day, the AK is a 70 year old design created for illerate conscript soldiers with poor training. It does what it's suppose to do, and does it well. It does not, however, meet the standards (ergo, accuracy) established in the west.

The contemporary piston designs (coupled with B A S I C maintenance) have largely obseleted the AK. FN's SCAR is a marvel. Until people handle (light, ergo, comfortable) and shoot (accurate, low recoil, easy to manipulate) one they cannot appreciate how advanced the design truly is.

Last night I had all of my rifles out as I was changing optics around, and the SCAR was the rifle I kept picking back up.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.