I'm not so sure that I disagree with him. Face it, what advantages does a thick blade really bring to the table? Comfort and reassurance when it comes to chopping and batonning. In reality the best tool for chopping or batonning isn't a knife, it's a hatchet or axe (or a chainsaw). The knife is really a "just in case" option for us while we go play in the woods.

While edge and and goemetry are pretty big factors when it comes to cutting ability; there's only so much you can do with those because of the thickness of the blade. Case in point the original Dumpster Mutt vs. the RatManDu. The original Dumpster Mutt is a tank of a knife. However, in my opinion it simply is too thick. Along comes the RatManDu and it's a night and day improvement that can do everything the DM can do and then some. Subsequent DM versions have improved by thinning the stock somewhat and giving them a full height grind.

Remember the main purpose behing a knife is cutting and slicing, not chopping, batonning, hacking, or prying. Those are just additional attributes that we like to have. So in that respect thinner is better.

I'm a middle ground kind of guy. While I appreciate the simplicity and utility of a mora style knife I want it to be more thicker for peace of mind. However, I do not want something so thick that its only endearing quality is its ability to chop. For me that means around .185 thickness. I can go thicker but it depends on the grind of the blade.

Klaatu... verada... necktie The 16th Dog!