quoted from Architecht in his BOB thread linked in first post
FIRST AID

Its amazing how fast something can get infected while in the bush! If you don't have First Aid Training - sign up at your local Red Cross this week. I currently have five certifications, and am always looking for something else to add.

Here are the basics of your TRAUMA KIT. This isn't an off the shelf boo-boo kit that goes in your ruck. This is on the outside of your ruck or preferrably on your belt order:

1) HEMOSTATIC!

You have to stop bleeding. Blood loss will result in shock and death. DO NOT BUY THE GRANULATED PRODUCTS! They are difficult to remove from a wound. I like QuikClot's "Combat Sponge".

2) TQ!

The tourniquet will save your life. Have at least one, but two is better. The best made is the C.A.T. (Combat Application Tourinuuet).

3) CHEST SEAL!

Buy an Asherman, and research how to use it. Do not buy a Hyfin.

4) CRAVAT!

This is a simple, but affective item to have.

5) IZZY BANDAGE!

Select one that is large enough to wrap around YOUR chest. The Isreali is a compression bandage.

6) H&H COMPRESSED GAUZE!

Two should suffice.

7) GAUZE!

I like 4x4's because they're big enough to get the job done. Keep them in ziplock bags (in their original packaging).

8) NASAL!

The naso-pharyngeal airway tube gets inserted through the nose and into the throat when a person can't breath through their mouth due to an injury. It can be used on throat injuries too. YOU NEED LUBE to get these inserted. Tape a packet of surgical lube to the Naso packaging.

9) DECOMP NEEDLE!

The ARS DN is a chest decompression needle. I am not trained on one so I do not include them. If your training includes them - add it. OTHERWISE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE ONE OF THESE!

10) SALINE!

Add a couple of ampules of saline for eye washes.

11) GLOVES!

You need to avoid blood borne pathogens!

12) CLEAN & PROTECT!

Packets of BURN CREAM, ALCOHOL PADS, IODINE PADS, etc. Anti-bacterial First Aid Cream is critical for field cuts.

13) MEDS!

I keep Cipro in my kit for heavy infections. There is also NSAIDs, Aspirin (heart attack), Antihistamines, Lopermide (anti-diarrhea), etc. If you require a prescription - keep some in your kit! I also keep a couple of sting relief pads.

FIRST AID NOTE OF CAUTION: I maintain Red Cross Community First Aid, First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogen, and advanced (outside vendor) trauma training. I also have a very good friend who is an EMT (14 years) and Professional Firefighter (11 years) who has helped my training. YOU MUST SEEK PROFESSIONAL TRAINING! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE MEDICAL DEVICES AND TECHNIQUES BEYOND YOUR LEVEL OF TRAINING!

Last edited by ToboTech; 05/17/11 01:07 AM.

JYD 132