Print Thread
SR101,,, my new addiction #1035067 11/20/15 04:19 PM
R
rcb2000 Offline OP
Mutt
OP Offline
Mutt
R
Let me say,, from my short time with a large hunk of that steel,,, Im SOLD…
I love me some INFI,, and will continue to buy,, but SR101 is just STELLAR!!
First I really wanted to see how the 1111 would chop head to head with my Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe. I love that axe and will never sell it,,, its an ergonomic beast,,, just perfection..
[Linked Image from i67.tinypic.com]
I didn’t get too many pictures of the side by side, but I will say on a 2” piece of Magnolia,, the 1111 was only 5 hits behind the axe, but was far easier to control and get precise strikes.
As far as splitting wood,, well the whole reason I decided to try a large chopper, was because as much as I love and appreciate a good axe,, sometimes the wood just isn’t even and won’t stand up on its own. Ive used the technique of setting the log on its side, and hammering the axe in while hitting the log against another log,, but again,, you need a flat surface for the edge to really bite in and even then,, it doesn’t always split 100%.
Obviously battoning and splitting with the 1111 was a breeze,,, knots/ hard wood,, twists,, no problem.
[Linked Image from i64.tinypic.com]

You can see here,, clean one chop through a fairly thick, fresh branch,, just with a quick snap cut
[Linked Image from i63.tinypic.com]

Onto chopping a larger piece of some Magnolia I had cut down to make room in the driveway..
[Linked Image from i63.tinypic.com]
This stuff is pretty hard,, and fresh too. This piece is just under 3” in diameter.
[Linked Image from i66.tinypic.com]

You can see how clean it chips out,, nice wide cows mouth.
[Linked Image from i68.tinypic.com]
Got through it pretty fast,,

The only damage anywhere was to my hand,, that Res C is GRIPPY! Virtually zero shock transferred to my hand.
[Linked Image from i66.tinypic.com]

At this point is would slice reciept paper no problem..
[Linked Image from i65.tinypic.com]

After some stropping it would slice magazine paper no problem,, and although it wasn’t “popping” hairs,,, it would shave them.. Keep in mind this is the factory edge..
[img]http://i64.tinypic.com/j7vimq.jpg[/img]

This was an accident,,, but a cool looking ghetto photoshop,, you can see that its cutting smooth,, not tearing.
[img]http://i65.tinypic.com/33dcso4.jpg[/img]

Needless to say, Im hugely impressed with SR101 so far. I’m far from the first to say, but its edge retention is better than INFI’s,, and although not as tough,, I have no concerns whatsoever with it in that department.

Cheers

Mongrel in Training....
Re: SR101,,, my new addiction [Re: rcb2000] #1035068 11/20/15 06:21 PM
Rasmus Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Always nice to find an excuse to go out and work that shoulder!

SR101 really does shine. As long as you don't mind getting some patina on it. And I don't mind that patina.

Thanks for the comparison.
I have a Gransfors Jaeger Ax, which I have compared to my then 1311. Results were quite similar to yours.

Having only one pancake, leaves more room for bacon!

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"