Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) #1038231 02/23/16 03:16 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately dependent upon your perspective on such issues) we cannot all walk around 24/7 with a GHB (Get Home Bag). Therefore, I've been carrying some form of PSK (Personal Survival Kit) for years. My personally applied maximum size kit is 4"x6"x2". This is small enough to fit in a large pocket, man purse, brief case, jacket pocket, cargo pocket, or even "planner". It is also large enough to hold some basic survival ESSENTIALS.

As a tiny kit, these do not enjoy the luxury of mass scale redundancy and compromise is always required. We all love lists, and hate blanket statements (like I just made) so onto the goods!

FIRE

(1) Bic Butane Lighter
(1) Light My Fire Scout Model Ferro Rod with Striker

WATER

(1) 0.5L Platypus Bottle (collapsible water bottle)
(1) AquaMira Frontier Filter (suck thru water filter)
(6) Katadyn Water Purification Tablets

SHELTER

(20ft) 375 ParaCord (yes, 375. It is much smaller than 550)
(1) Emergency Poncho
(1) Yard Waste Bin Liner (contractor bags work too. Les Stroud uses them for shelter often)
(1) Space Blanket (1 Blanket per PERSONAL Kit).
TOOLS

(1) Gatco Dogbone or Triseps (small knife sharpener)
(1) USGI P51 (large version of the P38 can opener)
(1) Zero Tolerance Folding Knife (usually...0350)

NAV & SIGNALING

(1) County Comm Maratac AA Rev3 Flashlight
(1) County Comm Maratac Flashlight "Globe"
(1 Spare) Battery
(1) Engineer's Compass
(1) Fox40 Micro Whistle (wear ear plugs!)

NOTE: I need to find/fabricate a red filter for the flashlight.

FIRST AID / HYGIENE

(5ft) Duct Tape
(3) Sanitation Wipes
(1) USGI Sealed Adhesive Bandaid

COMMENTS

1) This kit lacks a boiling vessel. I use to store a small stainless tin inside, but it made the pouch feel too bulky. I've chosen to not include a boiling vessel since I have ample water filtration on board.

2) In many ways this is an "E&E" kit. It is small and designed to minimally keep you alive while on the move. I've elected to not include fishing equipment as a result.

3) This kit presumes you're dressed appropriately for the weather/activity you're engaged in. It isn't a comprehensive kit. It is designed to be portable...much like your handgun. I'd much prefer to walk around with a SCAR, but people might be (unnecessarily) alarmed. Therefore, I carry a handgun.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/27/16 02:46 AM.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038312 02/25/16 07:30 PM
Rasmus Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I don't carry a survival kit, since Denmark is so densely populated, that you wil never be more than an hours walk away from some kind of civilisation.

However, when I purposefully seek out wilderness in Sweden, my firekit will always concist of 3 means of firelighting:

1: Waterproff matches
2: JEEP lighter
3: ESEE Ferrorod, the handle filled with cotton rubbed in petroleum jelly.

The matches, lighter and petroleum cottomballs are left alone till such a time, when the ferrorod is not enough to light the fire.

Having only one pancake, leaves more room for bacon!

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038316 02/26/16 03:17 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I USED to have an altoid tin "Kit" that I've abandoned. I probably need to rectify that and build up another one. I do have this one bag (about 4X7X3 that would make a great kit. I also have a smaller maxped Anemone that would also work I think.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038317 02/26/16 03:27 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
You know, I could use one of the Bags I got from the Trooper and build up a kit like this and have room for additional items. Throw it all on a nylon belt along with a good knife and sharpener and just leave it in what ever vehicle I am driving that day. Yeah that would work! I could even build up my 511 push pack, which might work even better. I would have room for a SS bottle and a GOOD space blanket.

I like these, with a hood and "Pockets for your hands"
Superinsulator SPACE Brand All-weather Blanket. I have one in blue and one in red.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/26/16 03:29 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038318 02/26/16 04:08 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog

Gary, is this what you are talking about?
http://countycomm.com/strobetll.html

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038322 02/26/16 09:25 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I have a couple smaller bags that I think would work well for this project, and could go all the way up to the 511 Push Pack thereby allowing for even more items to include a freeze dried meal or two, an all weather space blanket and a 25oz SS water bottler in the side pouch. We will see.

I took this from Gary's list and have a few questions.

FIRE
1. Bic Butane Lighter
IDEALLY I think I would like the Maratac XL peanut lighter
2. Ferro rod/striker I have along with a container of PJCB

WATER
1. I have a Sawyer Mini that includes a 1 lit platypus style bag
2. I also have a bottle of the purification tablets and have plans to incorporate some Bleach as well.

SHELTER
1. I have 2 all weather space blankets that incorporate a head and hand "Pouches" I have both "Tether" cord and 550 cord
2. I need to get one of those flimsy "Emergency" ponchos.
3. I've got two or three of the Large trash/contractor bags left

TOOLS
1. I have about 4 retractable diamond hones (Smith's and Ez-lap)
2. I've got a half dozen of the P51 openers
3. I think I will use my large GTI folder for this

NAV and SIGNALING
1. Probably my new Sidewinder Compact light, it will always be close to me (or at least in the Jeep or truck, of if with someone else in their vehicle.
2. An area or "Glow" light, I'll need to think about this
3. Need to get a couple battery carriers
4. I have a small silva compass
5. I have one whistle but need to pick up another

FIRST AID/HYGIENE
1. Duct Tape I've got, even some clear packing tape
2. Germ X-Wipes (got a dozen of these)
3. Bandaid/bandage "Kit" need to come up with something.

Well I've got MY list now to work on. What do Y'all think of the additions/substitutions I've made?

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/26/16 09:39 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038324 02/26/16 11:55 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter

Gary, is this what you are talking about?
http://countycomm.com/strobetll.html

Not exactly. They use to come with a thimble sized rubberish "globe" that let you use the light like a lantern. The only reason I use the Maratac AA in lieu of a superior Streamlight product is the size. The AA is tiny.

The second picture shows the "globe" or "lantern" on...

http://www.countycomm.com/aaworldssmallest.html

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038325 02/26/16 11:55 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
"- Comes with Silicon Dome "

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038326 02/26/16 11:56 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I forgot, we also keep space blankets in our PSKs. I can't edit the OP.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/27/16 02:50 AM.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038337 02/26/16 10:31 PM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Gary, have you tried the Eagletac D25A? I'm wanting a single AA light and I think I would prefer the clicky Eagletac over the twisty Maratac. I've never handled either one.

Nice to see the P51 in your kit. I also prefer it to the P38.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038339 02/26/16 11:32 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Adam,
I haven't tried one. Maratac has a click model (or they did). I selected the AA because it is tiny (smallest AA on the market). I pocket carry a Leatherman Serac S3 (click tail cap with three brightness settings) daily. All of my other kits have Streamlight Mil Compact Sidewinders.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038340 02/26/16 11:38 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
I have a couple smaller bags that I think would work well for this project, and could go all the way up to the 511 Push Pack thereby allowing for even more items to include a freeze dried meal or two, an all weather space blanket and a 25oz SS water bottler in the side pouch. We will see.

I took this from Gary's list and have a few questions.

FIRE
1. Bic Butane Lighter
IDEALLY I think I would like the Maratac XL peanut lighter
2. Ferro rod/striker I have along with a container of PJCB

WATER
1. I have a Sawyer Mini that includes a 1 lit platypus style bag
2. I also have a bottle of the purification tablets and have plans to incorporate some Bleach as well.

SHELTER
1. I have 2 all weather space blankets that incorporate a head and hand "Pouches" I have both "Tether" cord and 550 cord
2. I need to get one of those flimsy "Emergency" ponchos.
3. I've got two or three of the Large trash/contractor bags left

TOOLS
1. I have about 4 retractable diamond hones (Smith's and Ez-lap)
2. I've got a half dozen of the P51 openers
3. I think I will use my large GTI folder for this

NAV and SIGNALING
1. Probably my new Sidewinder Compact light, it will always be close to me (or at least in the Jeep or truck, of if with someone else in their vehicle.
2. An area or "Glow" light, I'll need to think about this
3. Need to get a couple battery carriers
4. I have a small silva compass
5. I have one whistle but need to pick up another

FIRST AID/HYGIENE
1. Duct Tape I've got, even some clear packing tape
2. Germ X-Wipes (got a dozen of these)
3. Bandaid/bandage "Kit" need to come up with something.

Well I've got MY list now to work on. What do Y'all think of the additions/substitutions I've made?

Randy,
No need for more than one P51 or sharpening stone. Duct tape only - packing tape doesn't work in the field (I've tested it).

I like the bleach, but have been afraid it'll end up all over my kit and clothes (in a non emergency):

Silva is a good compass (my standard brand).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4